Locations ... anyone ...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With apologies to old-timers - I know I've run this thread before but with so many newbies, I thought it may be prudent to run it again. Personally, I'm very interested in geography and get a total buzz out of knowing from which part of the world we've all somehow become connected.

Be as vague or as specific as you like.

I'm in Oz. Central Victoria. Rural area now in serious drought for 6 years. My district is known for its wineries. (Funny, that!)

I live on 14 acres and have no visible neighbours. I've been trying to establish a park but lack of water is making this difficult. I recycle all household water, carrying buckets from shower, washing machine and kitchen sink. Hungry kangaroos come and graze on my small patches of green grass - an echidna makes its daily pilgrimage to my pond for a drink - as I look out of my window I see about 10 fire-tails, a kookaburra, two crested pigeons, 3 grass parrots, 2 magpies and a tree creeper. My dam is empty and a row-boat is upturned on the banks, expectantly, hopefully waiting to be used. It is uncharacteristically warm for autumn. At 3.30 in the afternoon, it's still 26 deg.C.

Tell me about your part of the world ....

Hi,
    I live in the US, the midwest part. It's April here so you'd think we could be out in our yards cleaning up our flower beds or going for a nice long walk in mild spring weather, but NO instead I had to drive through a blinding snowstorm, white-knuckling it the whole way. Oh the joys of living in the midwest. My bestfriend is talking of moving south, maybe to Alabama for the milder weather. That sounds so appealing, but she's the change junkie, not me.

I guess our area is known for dairy farming, since people living in Wisconsin are often referred to as cheeseheads. I live in a residential area far away from the wonderful smell of farming life.

My city is conveniently located between two much bigger cities--Chicago and Milwaukee so there are pros and cons that go along with that.

Julie

Comment

I'm in the burbs... but a leafy suburb and I chose it because it's a great environment for kids to grow up in. It's nice but also down to earth and not snobby. I've only ever lived in Sydney (must do something about that one day!)

It takes 20 mins to get to the city and beaches from our place, and about a 60 min drive and you're in the mountains.

Doo

PS Forgot to add that when I was 15, I was an exchange student to a rural town in New Zealand, so I guess I haven't always lived in Sydney.
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

I'm in Hanoi, Vietnam - working here in Development, but originally from Western Europe. Have been living in SE Asia for the last 13 years and loving it. It's about 25 Celsius here. Weather is usually pretty crappy around here (see Good Morning Vietnam to get an idea, grin ...). But quite fun, all the same. Used to live in Germany, Singapore, Malaysia, and Laos before.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Noted Tawn you have an issue with sheep today... anything to do with your roses??

I live on the outskirts of Brisbane in Queensland... on 3 lovely acres of land... it's about 45min drive into the city on a good day ... which for me suits as I'm not really a people person I'd rather hang with the local animals...

Take for example my mate Helga she is a guinea fowl and comes every afternoon to try and steal the king parrots dinner... but I love her and she is always welcome here...

It too is dry here and I've just had to pay a guy $300 to come and slash/cut the dead grass for fear of bushfires... which are very common in rural Australia..

That's my little bit of paradise...

Wattle
          Failure is not the falling down... it's the staying down

Comment

I live in Melbourne in Victoria, so currently a city girl but a country girl at heart. I live fairly close to the inner city, close to work and school, shops, parks and gardens.

Melbourne is a fairly flat and naturally featureless city but it does have an interesting 'built environment' that is enhanced by some lovely parks and gardens, which are also , unfortunately, feeling the effects of the drought that Tawny has mentioned. It is a city that prides itself on being a bit of focus for the arts and is, for example, about to host a big Comedy Festival. Expect me in the front row for a lot of that!

I'm currently on extended Easter leave, catching up with some neglected jobs about the house (and spending too much time checking out this site.) As I sit here looking out onto my garden a big flock of noisy rainbow lorikeets have landed in my big gum tree - so lots of lovely birds even in the city.

One time I must tell you about a very special place in the mountains north of here that I escape to......

robin

Comment

I live in Hawaii. I live on the side of a dormant volcano at the perfect elevation - my house has neither heat nor air conditioning and we never need either. My yard is a wonderful site with incredible flowers (tropical) and the only gardening we do is to hack it back to keep it from becoming a jungle. The only monkey that lives with us is the one on my back! Aloha

Comment

I live in NY State. Quite a ways from the big city. I have neighbors on our sides and when I look out our front window I am looking at a lake. Straight out my back door there's about an acre of property that meets up with a farm.
                It's a very small town where everyone knows everyone.
                "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thank you both Whale watcher and Beaches.... Tawn was right... I really enjoying reading about my MWO's family and where they live and how we all live..

I guess it really doesn't matter where you live... we all want the same thing... PEACE... LOVE... and GOODWILL to all..

Please everyone... I love hearing your stories about where you live and why you live there..

Wattle
                  Failure is not the falling down... it's the staying down

Comment

At the moment we are renting in mornington vic, sold my place here last year to inject some funds into our new business. have just put in an offer on a place nearby that has the house that my wife would have built and its on half an acre, the back yard is massive and its all native, big gum trees, no back lawn to mow! the offer has been accepted, just waiting on conformation on finance, should be ok, will keep you posted. cant wait to stretch a hammock between some of those trees! Kookas and rosellas and lorikeetswill be setting up the bird feeder for sure!
                    "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Tawny, sounds like a great place for a b&b, when can we come up!
                      "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

I live in a small village 20 miles North of Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland, one shop, one hall, one church - TWO PUBS..... I have a small two bedroomed hoosey, great neighbours and suberb community, I feel safe here.

Lorna
                        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

The Lake District...Nortern England...About 10 miles from Lake Windermere..

Origionally from Old Trafford in Manchester...Moved up here about 12 years ago...Better environment to bring up children...And if you like fishing this is THE place to live...I LOVE it.
                          I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                          One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

A tiny hamlet in Burgundy, France. Peace, quiet, space it's lovely.
                            I've been here 16 years though originally from London and the south east of England.
                            Suz
                            Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Im in a nice victorian house with high ceilings & stuff, In Nottinghamshire, about 10 miles from the Major Oak (Robin Hood).

Currently my house overlooks trees with lots of squirrels, but unfortunately a builder has bought it and he is gonna build six houses there :upset:
                              sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                              X