6 months AF free today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 months AF free today

Hey folks, just hit my 6 month mark and thought I would drop in and say hello as I rarely post much.

Some things I have learned during this extended sobriety (longest I have ever went without it) that can hopefully help others. I owe this to this website and things I learned here.

The cravings won't completely go away, but they WILL be easier to deal with, promise! What startes out as an elephant on your chest constantly will turn into the rare occasional gnat buzzing around your ear if that makes any sense.

Get yourself a couple of really good books that will change the way you see alcohol and drinking: Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop drinking, and Jason Vale's Kick the Drink Easily. Neither of which are "magical" cures but will really change the way you and particularly what society thinks about drinking. It will make it that much harder to pick up that drink. You will even start to see people who do drink and society's perception of it differently.

Keep it real with yourself. By that I mean, don't put yourself in situations where you might be tempted. No, you cant be a leper, but don't exasperate the situation. Change some of your old habits, you might just amaze yourself at what you can do.

Find somebody on here you are slightly ahead of can mentor/be mentored (thanks Littlebeagle!, you are more awesome than you know!)

Laugh at yourself, ALOT. Especially when you start to rationalize drinking (ex.."well I made it four months no issues, I can certianly have this drink and be ok!") Yes that's absurd and laughable, you want to start all over buddy?

I am constantly amazed at the fact I no longer have to wake up wondering what I said or did. Just dont have that problem anymore. No longer have to wake up feeling like shit, planning to go places and wondering about the transportation, getting back, etc. No longer making an ass out of myself, spewing verbal diaharrea, wondering if the wife is pissed off at me after waking up on the couch...list goes on with that one.

If I said it was all totally unicorns shitting rainbows, I would be lying though. All your friends know you as that beer making/drinking buddy, its a bit awkward at times being that token guy who "doesnt drink" but really who gives a shit in the end eh?

Once the big problem is dealt with you have every other aspect of your life to clean up as well. People are only so patient with you (uh hum...hello women), so you have to get your ass in gear on all the other things you have never dealt with because drinking overshadowed everything. Just joking about the women comment, women are great! :H

Sorry for the long post, but my point was, you can do it, you can keep it, and you wont regret it!

Keep on keepin on!

Rip

6 months AF free today

Rip - great job on 6 months!! Thank you for taking the time to post. Very interesting and informative!!
    :h
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

6 months AF free today

Thank you for that post Rip.

I totally understand the "you have every other aspect of your life to clean up as well".

Congrats on the Big 6mo .. thats so

Dave
      Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
      AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

6 months AF free today

Hiya,

Wow how happy you sound without AL.

Many congratulations on 6 months Af

Much love Flossie xx
        Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congratulations on 6 months AF!! Well done!!

Comment

6 months AF free today

Thanks for posting Rip. I love hearing feedback from people who are truly making this happen. Congrats on your 6 months.

Comment

6 months AF free today

Great post and thank you.
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congrats, Rip!! 6 months is huge....and even better things are in store for you in the future! Those cravings WILL go away, and you will feel like a normal person in that respect. But we must remain vigilant....I used to think that went without saying but it doesn't!! GREAT job and we can't wait to hear your report at one year!!! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congrats on 6 mos, I agree there are times when the temptation is high and resistance is low. As I noted in another post about my friend passing from alcohol it just keeps my mind on the right track as I want to live.
                  End of this month I will have 9 months and am ever greatful for the friends on this site.
                  FT
                  AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                  As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congrats x
                    Drink free since 18 August 2013:h

Comment

6 months AF free today

that is wonderful !!! so happy for you Rip!!
                      Sam
                      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congrats on 6 months and it definitely gets easier from here on:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Comment

6 months AF free today

Congratulations , great achievement
                          Still trying !!!
                          AF 25th June2014

Comment

6 months AF free today

Well done Time to celebrate (AF of course!)
                            Last drink 6th September 2013

Comment

6 months AF free today

Great post, including what is working for you. Welcome to your new life!
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                              X