All with low self esteem raise hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading numerous posts yesterday, I have came to realize that a great deal of us have really low self esteem. I have it you would never know it (or maybe you would) It has lead to my OCD having to appear be perfect all the time. Mine I've had as long as I can remember; maybe it was the way the doctor smacked my bottom when I was born. I also use humour to hide behind. To those who had hellish childhoods I can say I understand. Thoses who have been hurt by people you trusted I understand. Words pack such weight. My husband I have a saying "weigh it before you say it." Because once it's out it's out. Sorry only goes so far. To know you have truly forgiven someone, recall the moment when you where hurt, if it still hurts stings or makes you cry you haven't forgiven them. Forgiveness is hard. Self forgiveness is harder. We are valuable but after a lifetime of feeling like a lesser person, its hard to accept. I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm new here (Jan.) I really haven't read that many posts about self esteem. I wanted to share.
    Love & Hugs
    Mary

I raise my hand, I suffer from such low self esteem,but I also manage
    to hide it very well. I'm also a bit paranoid as well,think perhaps they
    go hand in hand.
    Thanks Paula x

Comment

Oh simey, what a can of worms, and how I can relate to all you say..

If someone hits you, the physical pain goes after a short time, but, let someone hurt you with words and the pain can last a life time.. It can even cast a shadow over how you live your life...

Yes, I suffered from low self esteem for most of my life.. I always tried to stay in the background, never draw attention to myself, can't accept compliments, always told myself I couldn't do something even before I tried it...

But, not anymore... Getting to grips with not drinking has changed me so much.. For the first time in my life I now realise how much inner strength I have.. I firmly believe we are a product of our own making.. The mind has such a strong influence, its up to us to re-programme it... It can be done, it takes a lot of hard work, but, its worth it...
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Louise,isn't that odd you tried to stay in the background. I push myself out there if I can point out my flaws before you, somehow it's better. Feelings are so powerful, they are what drives everyone. But so little is really said about them. your just given this unwritten code of how your supposed to feel. Oddly enough we accept it without question
        m

Comment

Not to be a smart ass but.....have we ever know an alcoholic with a healthy self esteem?
          Gabby :flower:

Comment

I dunno maybe Winston Churchill. I was with one for 5 years he had no problem; he sure as Hell loved himself and thought himself superior to everyone.
            M

Comment

I think I hide my low self esteem by lashing out at my husband and pointing out his flaws to make myself feel better sometimes (never makes me feel better as everyone knows that does this). Being drunk or hungover most of those times certainly hasn't helped.

"Weigh it before you say it" is an awesome way to take a step back, catch your breath, and really decide what you might say or not say. I think I will be a mute now. Actually I also do hide with my humor with my friends, they think I am hilarious and extremely outgoing. They don't know how depressed I am.

And Simey, enough about your awesome husband I can't take it. I don't even care about the ring. I'm gonna kidnap him I swear I am! :h
              Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

key phrase...... he thought he was superior.

I think if ya have a healthy self concept you wouldnt allow so much self destruction as alcoholism.

Comment

Maybe I am kidding myself but I do not think I have low self-esteem. My drinking issues come from extreme problems with anxiety that stem from when I was a small child. I was born anxious about everything and when I discovered that drinking would erase the anxiety, if even for the short-term, I was hooked.

BTW, Simey love the quote, "Weigh it before you say it." I will remember that next time I feel like lashing out.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

lushy....still dont know who is the most beautiful member

Comment

Oh yes and I have anxiety too- really really bad. I worry about everything, layer that with sadness and yuck yuck yuck.
                      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

LOL. We will have to have a contest I guess. Now that you mention it, I must have low self-esteem if I think I am in 2nd place and not 1st. I will get working on that.
                        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Oh. Well I would to hang with all you beautiful members, but I am goin on a shopping spree with my divorce attorney.
                          Money goes pretty quick there.

Comment

If I said he was superior to everyone. I would be giving him to much credit. Thought was my word he would tell you he was because of his wealth and privliage.

Happy, Sorry can't have the Gregster. I married the guy when he was 23 and I was 30. I've spent to much time training him.
                            Smiles
                            Mary

Comment

Sometimes yes, low self esteem..I know when it begins to overcome me...definitely, and other times I feel like I have very high self esteem, it's something that my father tried to instill in all of us, yet that very effort also causes me to feel 'less than' because I've never quite reached that false standard that I percieved had been set for me. It's a slippery thing. To do what I've done with my family, my art and my life has required a degree of high self esteem..but you bring pms on and 5 extra pounds and I know that self esteem is lurking just around the corner.

Comment

Working...
                              X