All with low self esteem raise hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get back to simeybear's original post about lack of self-esteem: why is it so diffucult for humans to hear the good stuff? How many times has someone told you that you look nice today and our response is negative (this old thang? or dismissed altogether) ? We should learn to graciously receive: smile and say thank you. Own the good, hold it, and love yourself for one oh so brief moment. Feed what you want to grow, someone somewhere said.
    * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

What a great thread! I have always overcompensated for poor self esteem by being competitive-especially in school. Right now as a full time back to school student with 4 of 5 kids still at home, well-that scholastic perfectionism (Straight A's)is getting hard to hold on to. That makes me feel dumber than a box of rocks. (like a B means I'm dumb!) But then I remind myself that not many my age even attempt this. Up, down, up, down:H

***POPEYE**** how VERY cool that you are taking classes with your dad at home. Keep up the great work!:goodjob:
      Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Choices we make and life experiences have such a huge impact on our self-esteem. I'm in the recovery stage. My self-esteem was trashed due to divorce, financial struggles, and drinking spiraling out of control. The longer I moderate the better I'm feeling. I still have a long way to go, but thanks to counseling, anti-depressants, and MYO I'm climbing up out of it.

Julie

Comment

Great thread, Mary! I've really enjoyed reading all the posts. Boy, can I relate to most. Perfectionist, overly rigid, hard on myself to the point of downright self-abuse (and a past history of anorexia, then bulimia to boot). Yes, low-self esteem is a part of my life. I've worked on it for years - in my profession, the "imposter syndrome" keeps me from progressing up the ranks. I certainly can't be good enough to have a big promotion. Then I'll get more responsibility and will definitely screw something up. Right? Yikes.

My children do make me happy, as they are still young enough to be appreciative. Yet, it is another source of material over which to beat myself up. Am I super-mom enough??? House not clean enough, wholesome dinners not prepared, etc.

Well - happy to know that I'm not alone. And I'll proudly raise my hand.

Journey

Comment

I'd raise my hand but I don't feel worthy.

jokes aside, I see myself in so many of your posts. Hey Determinatrix sweetie!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Yeess to most of above. I have been teaching myself self respect for many years now and find that for months I bounce along feeling great with all my affirmations etc then all it takes is an off hand comment from someone or remark from my boss and way down the hill I go again.....easily.

Lorna
              Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I'm drowning in low self-esteem at the moment and have been for the last couple of weeks or so. Isn't it coincidental that this has come at the same time that I have decided to stop AF and try "moderation".

I constantly need to feel like I matter, like what I say is being listened to, and I don't. I make comments that I think are very astute and am just ignored (probably because everyone is in awe, huh??). I have a sister who is mom's favorite. I rarely hear from my mother; my sister talks to her twice a day. I do try to call her constantly, but her line always goes to voice mail (which she never checks).

My youngest son ran away because it was so "horrible" here (he's 16). He's been gone for about a month (by the way, mom's more concerned about sis's chest cold than she is this) and for some reason I'm supposed to be okay with this and not blame myself or be sad. My oldest did the same thing at 17. How am I not supposed to feel like a horrible mother? I know he's okay and is trying to prove he can make it without me right now. Somedays I can't put one foot in front of the other, but I'm supposed to keep up with my work load and not drag everyone else down with my melodrama. I don't talk about this at all to anyone unless they bring it up and I quickly change the subject, like I'm gonna do now.

Thanks for listening.

Comment

Thanks, Mike, you made me smile through my tears.

I'm with Gabby on the booze thing tho; it goes with the self esteem. I noticed a big difference when I was AF. I re-ordered the TOPA and started again with 25mg this week. I'm not drinking as much as I was, but there's enough in my system to act as a depressant.

I'm also with Gabby on who the most beautiful member is if Lushy is 2nd. I figured it was RJ . . .

Comment

Barb, honey, I feel for you. My sister is Mom's favorite I learned to live with that. My sister though has 3 sons and is not a good Mom, parties with the 2 oldest ones and leaves the 17 year old home alone while she does. Just let the 17 with severe ADD drop out of school. now what? You know what? they adore her! She left them with their father when she didn't want to be married anymore. He died, they came to her. She is their friend,not Mom. I think your a real Mom. so much better.
                    Mary

Comment

Working...
                    X