X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hating myself

Hi Morrison

Sounds like you are feeling pretty low.

maybe i am at an earlier stage of recovery than you are...

but i am feeling that as long as i am making some kind of progress, I am doing ok.

sounds like you made so much progress but had all this pressure built up in you while abstaining.

i remember one good experience i had at AA (in general, didn't like the public nature of it). most of the members were warning me not to drink or to even think i could moderate.

one young woman who had been sober for years told me: "Go ahead, if you think you can drink and moderate. come back if you find out you can't."

on the subject of not being able to drink on special occasions like weddings, her comment was: "Why drink and ruin a special day?"

she didn't seem troubled and she wasn't interested in forcing me to do anything.

it might have been a case of reverse psychology but her comments were very freeing to me. she wanted me to make the choice. i think abstinence needs to be a positive choice, maybe you are in some ways feeling deprived and therefore you had this binge?

how do we get to this positive level? i sure don't know. as i said, one member always talks about baby steps and that seems to be all i can manage at the moment...

a few years ago, i was abstinent for 4 months. i still remember it and marvel at it, think it is amazing and it taught me a lesson, that it is possible! it was such a learning experience.

Comment

I'm hating myself

Hey Morrison,

With two months AF behind you, you know you can do this...

The whole of life is one long learning experience, and mistakes are our lessons, its what we learn from...

I have been AF for almost 7 months, but its taken me over 10 years to get here... Times without number I tried and failed to stop drinking.. my longest period was about 2 years ago when I went 4 weeks AF, and what did I do ?? I thought I had a handle on it and went and bought a bottle of red wine to celebrate.. Why?? I don't know.. Like you, I didn't have a craving for it, but somewhere deep inside there was some trigger which made me do this, it was two years later that I found this place, and with the help of eveyone here I am doing the best I have ever done..

So, use this experience as one of the tools in your fight against alcohol.. If you ever feel yourself in the same situation again, reaching for a drink even though you have no craving for one, summon up this time in your mind, the way you are feeling now, both mentally and physically, concentrate hard on those feelings and it will help you to say no..

By the way, glad to see the old avatar back..

Best of luck,
      Love, Louise xx
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I'm hating myself

Morrison, with you every step, me too, me too, me too. If I was fit enough to kick my own ass I would, regularly. Ho hum, here we go again, day 1 for me....

Lorna
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I'm hating myself

Morrison,

Whenever I looked your avatar it made me crack up (I love the Simpsons)- but if it is downer for you by all means do not use it!! Whatever is best for YOU! :h
          Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Working...
          X