Just wanted to share...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to share...

A couple quotes from an article i love. Hope everyone is doing well.

"When I stopped drinking, I filled that gaping chasm in my life with the opposite of drinking. I wrote, I learned how to fix and modify guitars, I learned to run, box, kickbox and suffer gladly the torturous workouts my trainer devised. I ended a lot of hollow friendships, deepened my relationships with friends who, sober or not, were good for me, repaired my relationships with my father and older sister and invested deeply in my relationships with my nephews and nieces. I ate my vegetables and took my vitamins and did my homework. I stopped doing fun things I wasn?t proud of and did a lot of hard things I knew were good for me but somehow still couldn?t feel proud of because they were so "recovery-by-the-numbers" like raising plants and doing yoga. Of central importance to my transformation was keeping my appointments with my counselor. I didn?t want to go so I forced myself to go. I didn?t want to be honest so I forced myself to be honest. Some of it was really rewarding, a lot of it sucked and all of it was hard work. Don?t erase all my vigilant efforts to change by calling me a dry drunk just because I get pissed when I get a parking ticket. Parking tickets suck?that?s a universal constant.

....It?s not necessary to pathologize my every move simply because I am an alcoholic. I don?t run because I?m an exercise addict, eternally chasing the "runner?s high." Occasionally, I enjoy running but mostly I endure the discomfort of running because I know it increases both the length of my life and the quality of my life and I hate running less than I fear death and the sensation of dying. Just because I have been addicted to alcohol, it doesn?t mean my life after alcohol is necessarily just an empty series of dire cravings and desperate injections of pleasure. When I pat your dog, I am not chasing "dog patter?s high," I am just patting the dog. Because, at the end of the day, yes, I?m an alcoholic, but I?m also a bass player, a gear nerd, a writer, an ultrarunner, a guitar wrangler, a songwriter, a mediocre kickboxer, a solid friend, an uncle, a brother, a step-brother, a foster brother, a son and a flawed, imperfect but mostly happy human being.

Just wanted to share...

I loved reading this,thanks for sharing Tom
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Just wanted to share...

Glad to hear it !

Comment

Just wanted to share...

Very well written...thanks for sharing
        AF 10/21/2013...ODAT :kudos:

Comment

Just wanted to share...

When i read that full article i was on the fence about going to AA. The whole admitting you are powerless thing was realling bugging me. There is a part in the article about "owning your sobriety" and how only you can define its parameters and no nobody else because in the end it means a hell of alot more to you than it does to anyone else. It helped clear a path for me and changed my mindset and i finally feel some peace.

Comment

Just wanted to share...

Yes Tom - we are all so much more than our addiction. Good post. I just had a falling out with a dear friend because I told her that I would no longer pathologize my feelings, my life or my decisions. Some were awful. I can't deny that. But I do have power over my future decisions!! And that is what counts.
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Just wanted to share...

Thanks Tom. Good read

Comment

Just wanted to share...

MossRose;1567398 wrote: Yes Tom - we are all so much more than our addiction. Good post. I just had a falling out with a dear friend because I told her that I would no longer pathologize my feelings, my life or my decisions. Some were awful. I can't deny that. But I do have power over my future decisions!! And that is what counts.
                Sorry to hear that, that's difficult, but you are owning your sobriety right there.

Comment

Just wanted to share...

The full article in case anyone wants to read:

Let Me Do Sobriety My Way | The Fix

Comment

Just wanted to share...

MossRose,
                    If you live in the past you will go back there. You did what is best for you.
                    AF 10/21/2013...ODAT :kudos:

Comment

Just wanted to share...

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X