Salvation or Bust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvation or Bust!

I have an addiction to alcohol and have been aware of this for close to five years. I have been drinking almost daily for ten. I have tried to quit numerous times in the past with 30 days being the longest period of abstinence I’ve reached and only the once. I’ve gone a week, a few weeks but never past the thirty day mark.

My body size is small and my drinking is minimal compared to many but deep in my soul I know that I have a problem; whether it is physical or emotional. For many years I have used the fact that my consumption, though almost daily, is somewhat controlled. I do have a stopping point and often only have two or three glasses of wine in a sitting. But occasionally I drink with wild abandon and suffer the consequences. I’ve experienced the early signs of bodily damage in the form of heart palpitations, broken blood vessels in my eyes and nose and high blood pressure not to mention the inevitable three a.m. remorse fuelled sleep interruption.

Drinking and especially not drinking has been on my mind for years and has prevented me from moving forward with many of my goals. Whether I am an alcoholic or not is not as important as how alcohol impacts my life. Some close family members are or have been alcohol dependent and I’ve seen firsthand and felt whole heartedly the destruction over-drinking routinely creates. I am aware of alcohol’s firm but, hopefully, tentative hold on me.

Within the context of attempting to stop drinking, I’ve run the modern gamut in making and breaking promises. I’ve created, faithfully posted to and eventually abandoned blogs highlighting my abstinence plans and hopeful booze-free life. I’ve committed to thirty days A/F alongside online chat room members and faded away from e-visibility for months at a time after tripping up again and again. I’ve changed my user name on my favourite online support group to escape the embarrassment of constantly breaking my non-drinking resolutions.

Imagine being on one’s deathbed and being asked, “Grandmother, what did you spend your life doing?” How desperately sad it would be to have to answer, “I spent most of my life trying to find myself beneath the vague oblivion of a glass of wine.” Over the past ten years, I have been unmindful of the reaching out of friends and family, to opportunities to connect deeply with people. I have been vague and contradictory in my commitment to enact positive change in my life and in the lives of those I love in order to appease my need to sit at home and drink.

For the past few years I have been actively seeking spiritual consciousness and a healthy, soulful life while, at the same time, sabotaging any hope of becoming remotely present. I am eons away from nearing a state of serenity, let alone enlightenment, due to my habit of chasing oblivion in the crimson depths of a wine glass.

Since I’ve considerably cut down my alcohol consumption, I’ve noticed my budding spiritual self peeking it’s hesitant head out. Some items on my bucket list are now, albeit, sporadically, accomplished. However, I feel that if I continue with my ‘controlled’ drinking I will ultimately miss the opportunity to unearth my vital calling in life. And, like most of us, I feel I am here for a reason.

I accept that, although there are so many obvious benefits to total abstinence, there will also be pain, isolation, vulnerability and self-doubt. Avoiding alcohol consumption has nothing to do with willpower. It has more to do with willingness; willingness to trade discomfort for salvation; salvation from living outside my true self and from the gradual obliteration of my soul. I believe the willingness to suffer in exchange for gaining truth and an authentic life is the greatest gift I can give myself.

It’s time to give up the false notion that it’s acceptable to live this way. It is purely wasteful to exist in a life half lived, to hide behind the mask of unconsciousness and to be so much less than I am capable of. I will face the fear of failure, of disapproval, of being judged for being a non-conformist. All of these fears can be summed up to encompass one great fear: the fear of separateness.

I am hopeful that facing and even living within my fear, will gradually erode it and eventually extinguish it. Without the burden of fear, perhaps my heart will open wider to let the exchange of human loving kindness circulate unobscured. Once the spiritual healing begins and, with the proverbial monkey off my back, I will be able to move towards my root goal of living a life of consciousness, presence and grace. With this milestone entrenched in my day to day living, my true self just might be vulnerable and open to hear our Creator’s whispered insights and plans for me.

Through genuine and virtual friends who are in long-term recovery, I have learned that it may take many months, if not years to achieve a state of serene comfort in my new, raw existence. There will be no filter to hide behind, no off-button to push when emotional discomfort arises. I will use whatever tools are available to search for fellowship and coping mechanisms in my abstinence journey. Learning to live life naked, exposed and present could very well prove to be the apex of my time here on earth; the turning point in my spiritual path. Time will tell.

Cravings will come and will have to be dealt with using recognition, acknowledgement, patience and reason. My biggest obstacle will be the unconsciousness of my mind. I will have to practices self-forgiveness, acceptance of my past mistakes and my current weaknesses. Recovery cannot exist in the same soul space as self-hate. The two don’t bode well as bedmates.

I will resist appeasing those who would have me drink so they are not alone. I will not explain or promote my abstinence to any except those who inquire. I will fake self-assurance until it becomes my reality. I have learned that to fake is to eventually feel. We are a product of and responsible for, not only our actions but, also our thoughts. We have the innate ability to stop the negative, self-righteous voice of the ego simply by acknowledging it’s presence. Ego is not who we are but, in reality, it is the sum of our regrets and fears; regret for our past missteps and fear of the daunting, unknown future. We can’t change our past and the future doesn’t yet exist. We, therefore, can only find equanimity in the here and now. Without the routine internalization of ego’s murmured reminders of our insecurities, past injustices, perceived failures and human weakness, we open ourselves to life as the whole, tender, contemplative souls that we are at the core of our being.

Meditation helps ease us through the process. Taking the time daily to simply be, to consciously exist in the present moment acutely aware of the breaths that sustain us serves to ground us in our selves; in who we truly are in union with nature and our fellow human beings. With this ongoing practice we no longer feel separate but gradually begin to feel part of a larger whole. I will learn this practice.

I know all this, yet, I will struggle with this commitment. Anxious self-doubt and even denial will endeavor to erode my abstinence pledge. Ego loves a drinking habit. He reigns fully when our physical and emotional senses are obscured by the veil of substance use. We are easy to control when we are not fully conscious. It’s time to wake up, to remain alert and to feel again.

What is different this time? The knowledge I have accumulated from reading, listening and searching for understanding of my addiction combined with the honest acknowledgement of the fractured life I am living has pushed me to begin this earnest fight for my soul’s salvation. Others have gone before me, fought the good fight and won.

Why can’t I .....

Humbly,
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Salvation or Bust!

Very eloquent, Sober. There is not a single reason you can't do it. What i always found inspiring about your past posts is the fact that your were not just writing things out, you were living them. Keep that up. You have way too much to offer to those around you, the people here, and yourself.
    Best, Tom

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Thank you Tom. I enjoy your honest posts over on "our thread". I just feel sometimes that self-sabotage is the master of disguise. I've been blindsided so many times by just not being conscious. Your involvement in rooting us on and letting us into your life really helps us feel so less alone. :-)
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Hello sweet Sober. Your post was beautiful and wise as always and has already been bookmarked! :l
        One thing I thought of as I was reading...many years ago I read that very tripled, trendy book called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance....weird, fun book but there was a part when the author is dragging himself up mountain after mountain trying to get the peek, to his final destination. He's totally exhausted, feeling pretty crappy when suddenly he notices his feet. I can't remember why he notices them; maybe a stray shoelace or something. But he keeps looking at his aching feet as trudges up this mountain and soon he discovers that he doesn't feel so heavy anymore, quiet so discouraged. So he stays focused on his feet...he just keeps watching and thinking about his feet the rest of the way....

It's all a metaphor of course for staying in the journey and not obsessing about the goals which I know in my case is very hard. I want everything yesterday for Gods sake!!!
        Trite but true

I believe the disappointment/frustration you feel is simply not looking enough at your feet. I've been with you for a bit now and Incan say unequivocally that you are climbing those mountains with tremendous success.

It's like Nora says and even tattoos on herself..it's ONE STEP AT A TIME ... So don't forget to keep looking at your feet. :l
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

SoberSoul;1567281 wrote: Thank you Tom. I enjoy your honest posts over on "our thread". I just feel sometimes that self-sabotage is the master of disguise. I've been blindsided so many times by just not being conscious. Your involvement in rooting us on and letting us into your life really helps us feel so less alone. :-)
          Nice of you to say, Sober, thank you. I sometimes feel like i pirated an estrogen ship or something on that thread. Jk. I enjoy it. In all seriousness i know all about self sabotage..do you know when my drinking accelerated and hit its peak? The day after i was prescribed campral. It was a devastating realization . You can do this. Be conscious, be focused, just be well.

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Very well written Sober and so very true. It is a constant battle that I have with AL daily and I think this is why i classify myself as an alcoholic. I think the difference with myself this time is that i have it in my mind that I need to really stop, I really need my life back, I am nearly 50 and I am tired of hiding my drinking, I am tired of everything that drinking brings. When I am not drinking I am so much happier and even the battle within is getting easier but I just have to keep remembering that. drinking is not fun at all and it is dangerous for me to drink, for my body and my mind.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Even though I woke up at 3 am and have had a horrible hangover today, time to stop this cycle. Im killing myself. Thanks for the read!!
              AF 10/21/2013...ODAT :kudos:

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Hi Gettinitright!

Welcome!

If you haven't checked out the Newbies Nest yet, the link is given below. There also is one to the toolbox, which is full of good ideas. You've come to a great place to get this done!

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

SoberSoul - my friend, thank you! Beautiful post. Yes - dang ego gets in the way every time. I'll be following this thread. Blessings to you on your journey.
                  Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Kradle123;1567296 wrote: Hello sweet Sober. Your post was beautiful and wise as always and has already been bookmarked! :l
                    One thing I thought of as I was reading...many years ago I read that very tripled, trendy book called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance....weird, fun book but there was a part when the author is dragging himself up mountain after mountain trying to get the peek, to his final destination. He's totally exhausted, feeling pretty crappy when suddenly he notices his feet. I can't remember why he notices them; maybe a stray shoelace or something. But he keeps looking at his aching feet as trudges up this mountain and soon he discovers that he doesn't feel so heavy anymore, quiet so discouraged. So he stays focused on his feet...he just keeps watching and thinking about his feet the rest of the way....

It's all a metaphor of course for staying in the journey and not obsessing about the goals which I know in my case is very hard. I want everything yesterday for Gods sake!!!
                    Trite but true

I believe the disappointment/frustration you feel is simply not looking enough at your feet. I've been with you for a bit now and Incan say unequivocally that you are climbing those mountains with tremendous success.

It's like Nora says and even tattoos on herself..it's ONE STEP AT A TIME ... So don't forget to keep looking at your feet. :l
                    Kradle, you have brought me to my knees in thanks for how fortunate I am to have you so steadfastly in my corner always even when I abandon ship.

I had that book and pushed it on one of my sons before reading it.

Thanks for reminding me of my small successes. I am looking at my feet and you are there beside me and I want to be there for you too. Xx
                    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

available;1567319 wrote: Very well written Sober and so very true. It is a constant battle that I have with AL daily and I think this is why i classify myself as an alcoholic. I think the difference with myself this time is that i have it in my mind that I need to really stop, I really need my life back, I am nearly 50 and I am tired of hiding my drinking, I am tired of everything that drinking brings. When I am not drinking I am so much happier and even the battle within is getting easier but I just have to keep remembering that. drinking is not fun at all and it is dangerous for me to drink, for my body and my mind.
                      Thanks, Available and you are so right. If we don't sober up we will have missed what could be our last opportunity. We don't know how long we have. Drinking is just poisoning yourself with ethanol and flavouring. It's not fun being screwed with. Alcohol screws with me. Letting it go. Glad you are too. We will be so proud of ourselves as we hit our milestones.
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

gettinitright;1567357 wrote: Even though I woke up at 3 am and have had a horrible hangover today, time to stop this cycle. Im killing myself. Thanks for the read!!
                        Welcome GiIT so glad you found us. Imagine not having any more 3:00 a.m. Wake-up calls. Our lives will be so much better. Keep reading. There are lots of wonderful souls in all stages of recovery. They'll be along shortly. :h
                        Lao-Tzu

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Sober, that was a great post, thank you. It really got me thinking that the worst decisions I make in my life, are the ones that involve checking out in some way. Deciding it's all too hard, and I can't reign myself in any more, and just blowing things. Money, alcohol, food..throwing away whatever good intentions I have that are of long term benefit, to ease a short term discomfort.
                          Of course, I just end up creating bigger, more enduring problems. Somehow we have to learn to just sit with the ups and downs and the bad feelings, and not take short cuts to get rid of them. Because the short cuts always seem to lead to the long way around.

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Just love you to pieces SS. :l:l:h:h
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Salvation or Bust!

Sober Soul,
                              That was maybe the most beautiful words ever spoken on AL ever. Wow! I have a relapse prevention thread. Come on over and give your thoughts. We can educate each other and lift each other up.
                              Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X