Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancelot study and survey on Topa

Hey guys
    dont want to obsess here or anything and I swear this will be my last post starting a new topic (hey I am new on the topa and really inquisitive )
    I was reading the Lancelot article again and noted at one part that said:
    "Topimarate's effectiveness on the self-reported drinking measures started at about 200 mg per day dose (week 6)..." (Topimarate-induced improvements un self-reported drinking outcomes was corroborated by corresponding decreases in the objective measure, plasma y-glutamyl tranferase)".

I guess what i am asking is this:

I wanted to ask people who are taking topa generally:

1) What dose are you on?
    2) When did you really notice an effectiveness? In particular, I am in interested in people who have described to me that a "switch" went off in their brain - what was this like? Do they stll have cravings? What is it like now? What dose were you on when this happened?
    3) What kind of success are people having?
    4) What kind of challenges are people facing and how does this compare to previous drinking challenges?

Thanks guys - I guess I am trying to arm myself with as much preparation as possible for this week. I think it would help anyone else who is new to topa - or even if you are not taking topa - to prepare for the journey by knowing what things to expect.
    Love and hugs
    Jen:d

Jen-
    I know we have spoken on chat before about topa but for me it went like this....

below 75, not a thing...I drank...wanted more, got drunk..same as ever...then...about 75 or so....I seemed to loose that huge urge to have to drink, you know, that..."I just don't see how I can possibly make it through the night, I can't stop thinking about it, gotta have it" kind of thing. At that point, If I did drink it was like..."ok, that was no big deal...I do not feel buzzed, and I don't really want more...how really weird is that???"....I got up to 100 mgs and that has been my experience since. After a few "trials" of "curiousity" drinking, in which I had the same experience, I realized I just really wasn't enjoying drinking anymore....like it wasn't a bad experience, but It was no different than drinking anything else in a glass, and given how much trouble it has caused me, what was the point??? So I have stayed at 100 mgs, and when I try to remember how it felt to have that "oh my God I HAVE to have it" feeling (yes, after a month or so I actually almost forget how it felt), I am so damn relieved that I don't have to live with that "monkey" on my back!!!

I think I may always miss that wonderful sensation of the first couple of drinks, but for so long I have had to deal with all the awful rest of it that the trade off is soooo well worth it.

I hope you are doing well on your journey with topa. You have to let me know how you are doing!!!

Beth

Comment

Hey there
      I still definitely have the urge to drink....and I think about it alot . I am still only at 50 mg....

Comment

only at 75

I still have problems w/ it.............don't really have an "urge" all the time (but I did yesterday), but more a habit............: (only at 75 mg too)

Will up to 100 any day now, so can't wait!!!!!! hopefully by then it won't be fun anymore then!! that will be worth it, cuz I still get buzzed at this point: Don't, like I said, have the urge though, which I used to HAVE to have the drink...........so apparently something has already changed in me!? :h

Mary Anne:b :P

Comment

Re: only at 75

Jenneh, I dont think you are obsessing. Please dont let it be your last post. You bring up so many good points. The first one being that everyone reacts to meds different and in their own time. But it feels so reassuring to hear everyones personal experiences. Ok so heres mine.

My dose is 125. 50 sometime before noon and 75 around 5.

I noticed an effectiveness actually right away. and increased as I dosed up. The brain switch did seem to happen. This I really cant seem to explain. I think part of it maybe did to myself. For quite sometime now I have been gearin up for this and maybe that has something to do with it. But there is somethin goinn on in my brain that just is sayin NO.

Yes I still have cravings. I drink beer, so part of it is the hot weather and thirst. Anther huge part of it is I drank to self medicate for stress and anxiety. I still have that in my life so my natural reaction is to want beer and I still do. I havent drank and again....I cant really explain why. My initial goal was mods.....it turned into abs and now I am kinda stuck with it. So I am stickin it out for how long I dont know. Certainly as long as I am takin topa because I actually CANT drink on it. It just makes me not want it that much. Well I do want to drink, But it seems to be all in my head. Because when its right there in front of me I dont want it. weird. But because of those cravings....I no way trust myself w/o the topa because I feel like I would dive right back into it. I LOVE beer.

Keep in mind that everyone is different and maybe for you Campral might be better. But dont give up yet. I think I answered everything. : ) Gabby

Comment

Hi Gabby
            Oops, I guess I meant that was the last post for today starting a new thread....ha ha!
            When did you notice you stopped drinking altogether? When did you feel the switch? Right away? Or as you went up? Do you plan on continuing going up?
            Thanks!
            Jen

Comment

lol
              Hi Jenneh,
              I havent drank since I started topa 41 days ago. I started on a wednesday. I remember that first weekend was kinda hard, but not bad. But on monday i went to 50 cuz i was a little anxious about the weekend and i just wanted to do my up dosing on mondays...easier i thought. (probably an excuse) On that wednesday we went to a sports bar...my favorite one that has the best beer and I remember almost crying. So it WAS hard that night and it was on the 8th day. But I was determined not to drink. No one was on to me yet and didnt know I was not drinking. I held back the tears and stuffed food instead. Ha Anyway I wanna say soon after that I started feeling pretty strong about not drinking even with cravings. It wasnt anything I couldnt control. I just kept drinking tons of water and different drinks that I didnt normally have like pink lemonaide (yum...that sounds good now) and stuff like that. Then my regular everyday cravings were under control to the point of almost not even thinking about it. Just when the stress set in did I have cravings. But i have been able to manage it. But keep in mind that I am not tempted with any other alcoholic beverage and i dont go out much. Altho I would drink at home anytime I wanted to.
              And oh ya...that first weekend when I was only on 25mg there was beer in the fridge and I did have to take it out and let it get warm cuz I absoulty could not trust myself to not give.
              At first I had and actually still do remove all temptations. And at the risk of sounding extremly boring I dont go out. I am invited cuz I am newley divorced but am afraid a man will flirt with me so i stay in hiding. 8) lol gabby

Comment

75mg of topa

Jen--I'm really glad you started this post because I have been really curious about what levels people are noticing change. I am a big chicken because I was not able to ask my dr. for the topa. I ordered over the Internet, so therefore am just being my own dr. about this. I am titrating up slowly. Going a little over a week and than adding 25 mg. I am now on 75 mg and I do notice that my cravings are big time diminished, the problem is the HABIT! it's a Bit#$~ I go to about 8pm, maybe 9---hubby is drinking beer and I find myself pouring myself a glass of wine. Last night after 2 glasses I poured the 3rd one down the drain. I'm thinking, "here I am spending a fortune on topa and still drinking!!" Because Moderation is fine with me, but it's not like I even want the dumb glass of wine, it's just something that's been part of my life for so long....maybe I'll try that pink lemonade...
                Gabby-you are an inspiration.
                sm

Comment

Re: 75mg of topa

Do you guys still find that "heart race" craving? I still get that - but not as bad...does anyone relate? I had that last night - just easier to control.
                  I did find last night another source of my cravings. I CRAVE the feeling that alcohol gives me. ie: I crave the HIGH - the ""buzz". And if the topa makes me not really get that buzz...hopefully, this craving will go away?...thoughts?

Comment

Hi jen, my GABA/Phenibut/p5p mixture can give me that feeling. I'm pretty much up and down a lot anyway and have had to learn to control it through the years, so I do know what you're talking about...I think I just had some really great adventures and friendships where drinking and long lunches/brunches were involved, so I had to change what I did for a while and venture out to create some new experiences with cranberry/soda, etc...Still not 100% but my liver is thanking me:lol

Comment

Hey you
                      Thanks for your reply - where can i get this Phenibut/p5p again? Would I take it at the same time as the GABA? How much do you take?

Comment

Working...
                      X