First AA meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First AA meeting

This was nothing as I imagined it to be. The girl who had called from their helpline actually travelled from the other side of the city to come with me.

There wasn't 'preaching' I expected, there were genuine warm greetings from everyone, in fact they made quite of a fuss me and it being my first time. The chairman opened the meeting and was a very good speaker, he got his points across with humour and passion.. Two of the women took me under their wing and sat with me throughout.

All in all it was a very positive experience, even though some of the discussion was sad to listen to especially that lady who 'shared' her story. She has been sober for a very long time now, but her story about her drinking days was horrifying.

At the end people were crowding round giving me their phone numbers say they hope to see me again, I definitely will be going again. I am doing whatever it takes this time and they seem to be a fantastic support.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

First AA meeting

Sounds like a good group. Glad you found them.
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

First AA meeting

Cinders;1568195 wrote: Sounds like a good group. Glad you found them.
      They really are, I am glad I found them too

Molly I was resistant for the same reasons, they were so supportive. I don't know much about the program or the steps, but I definitely will attend more meetings, there were a few laugh out loud moments at this one
      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

First AA meeting

I'm so glad it went well and you were made to feel so welcome x
        AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

First AA meeting

I cried my entire first meeting. The stories are horrifying. ODAT!
          AF 10/21/2013...ODAT :kudos:

Comment

First AA meeting

I cried a good bit too, laughed, cried and really felt a part of it. A lot them said to me that me being there brought back memories of their own first meeting, and telling me how brave I was!

Comment

First AA meeting

BH, that's really nice to hear. Good for you for having the guts to reach out.
              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
              AF 11/12/11

Comment

First AA meeting

Well done BH!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

First AA meeting

Really so glad that you like AA. Over the years I have found some great meetings, this is part of my plan of recovery now, but not the only part.
                  New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

First AA meeting

so glad you had a great first meeting...I have enjoyed them too...proud of you for going
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

First AA meeting

It was not my first meeting but my best meeting ever was with nuns, biker dykes. One had pink streamers off the handle bars to her hog.

Comment

First AA meeting

Thanks Mama

Sounds interesting lucky!

Now been to 5 meetings in 5 days, I think it's fair to say I am a fan!

Comment

First AA meeting

Thanks so much for sharing this, BH. I called a close friend's son who is in AA and he offered to go to a meeting with me - said it isn't as scary as we think it is, and it will be good to meet sober people willing to support me. I will do it.
                          10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

First AA meeting

So happy for your sucess BH. :h
                            We all need some face to face to keep going.:l
                            :goodjob:
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

First AA meeting

I'm Strong and in Control;1570200 wrote: Thanks so much for sharing this, BH. I called a close friend's son who is in AA and he offered to go to a meeting with me - said it isn't as scary as we think it is, and it will be good to meet sober people willing to support me. I will do it.
                              You have nothing to lose Strong. I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me

Comment

Working...
                              X