Commuting Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting Drinking

For those of you who travel to work, have you seen any correlation between the amount of time you spend commuting and your desire to drink?

At one point in my life, I was driving over an hour each way to work and back in the Chicago burbs. I remember feeling so stressed out by the time that I got home that all I wanted to do was kick back and relax (and maybe have a cold beer). I am a fairly patient driver, but 2 1/2 hours a day was a long time to be stuck in the car.

I changed jobs a couple of years back, and now have at most a 10 minute commute each way, and in fact when the weather is nice am able to bicycle to and from the office (adds 5 minutes each way). Not sure if it has a direct impact on my desire to drink, but I'm guessing that there is something indirect there.

Anyway, how long are your commutes, and if it is long (and stressful) how do you decompress?
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Commuting Drinking

When I lived in Chgo, I usually took public transportation, so I never minded the commute. I love to read and took advantage of "read time". Now, whenever I have to commute, I just take advantage of the fact that I have no choice but to be stuck in traffic and use the time to reflect. Even if there is something else I "should" be doing, I can't; it's not my choice. I actually find it very relaxing and am usually listening to a subliminal or motivational tape.

That was a long time coming, tho. When I did drive in Chicago, I did become very stressed. Heavy traffic in downtown Chgo to the South Suburbs is much different than a Phoenix commute, I don't remember if it related to drinking or not - interesting concept.

Comment

Commuting Drinking

I live in the midwest and have very little commute time - I actually sometimes wish I had more because I love to listen to books on tape and the car is the only place I can do that. I do relate to the stress through - maybe I should listen to my books on tape in the house when I'm stressed out?

Comment

Commuting Drinking

About 22 steps from the upstaris to my desk. My Husband 1:15 each direction if everything is good. If he is in DC that day it ake take 3 hours or longe one direction
        Mary

Comment

Working...
        X