New struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New struggles

Here are some new struggles that I have been dealing with (and struggling with) as I have been not getting "blitzed" on a semi-regular basis. Wondering how people relate and how they cope:

1) I realize I have used alcohol in many ways as a comfort tool - a safety or comfort blanket - example - even over this weekend - i think the topa has taken a lot of the 'joy' away from the drinking - washing away the dopamine etc from the drinking which is great - so i dont get that "need more need more now now now" - but I still want to have it beside me I find to a degree - though I can control it much easier - and i think its a comfort thing - a comfort from boredom, etc.
    2) I have realized that I am missing something - Missing the "escape" that comes from alcohol!!? - isnt that sad?? What am I trying to escape from?? I think counselling must be important!
    3) I have focused so much of my life - my social activies, where I go, what i do, what i focus my energy on, my thoughts, on alcohol, i need a way to refocus, and that is why i NOW realize that the hypno tapes MUST be so important. I am ordering them as soon as I can afford them (Friday - I have some other things I haev to pay for).

I wonder how much people can relate to the aboev and what advice you may have.
    Thanks!!
    Hugs
    Jen

New struggles

Jen, I can totally relate. That is why I am having such a tough time getting started.

Comfort - I don't think I use alcohol for comfort - it is more for entertainment. Find something that relaxes you. Take up a hobby (knitting has been a godsend for me). Exercise, meditate, get a massage, read a filthy book:happy . These are all very comforting to me.

Escape - I use the above things to escape too. When I'm knitting, nothing else matters. It's something I can do while I'm talking, too.

Social - you got me there. This is why I can't get started. I have my own hobbies, but the only thing DH and I do together is go to the bar. Sometimes we shoot pool or toss darts at the bar. We also like to watch movies (with a drink or two, of course). That's my biggest problem - I'm afraid I am going to lose him or pull away from him if I take away our only commonality. I'm great during the week - I talk about doing things differently during the weekend, and it's always the same.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, I would love to hear them.

Barb

Comment

New struggles

Hi guys, I just wrote something similar in another thread but I too struggle during the weekends. This past weekend was no different. Now I have the Monday morning blues.:c

I think some of my problem is habit. Finding new hobbies will help. I definately was drinking lots to "comfort" myself that I was single, fat, broke, etc. But then I realized after I sobered up I was still feelings all those things and now I can add a headache and a little less money!!

I'm going to forgive myself and move on. Today is a new day, with new ideas and you guys to unload my problems to and get some good feedback and plug along! If it was so easy I guess I wouldn't have a "problem" with it?!

Comment

New struggles

Good point, Thuzzby! This is a difficult process. Why do we expect it to be easy??

Barb

Comment

New struggles

getting better

Ye:ah, Jen, everyone,

After beating myself up over yet another weekend of drinking (not as bad as they used to be though), I just started out by saying "it is a new day", this is a journey, and we can't expect to get there overnight! YEAH, words from the wise, HAHA!!:lol

Hang in there, we're all in this together, be there for me and I will for you! promise!

Mary Anne:h :d

Comment

New struggles

Re: getting better

I think whats good here is that we all are doin a lot of soul searching and coming up with our own answers. Thats part of the program so keep lettin it work. : ) gabs

Comment

Working...
            X