Psych Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psych Evaluation

I haven't had a huge amount of luck with therapists understanding drinking. often they tell you to go to AA or they they tell you that drinking is causing the depression, when it feels the other way around. i had a psychiatrist who got angry that i was drinking while taking anti-depressnats.

i did have one really good experience. you need someone really smart.

also, i think i wrote this on another board, i just read the Addictive personality by Craig Nakken and got a much better understanding of the causes of drinking problems.

see:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Addictive-Personality-Understanding-Compulsive-Behavior/dp/1568381298]Amazon.com: The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior: Books: Craig Nakken[/ame]

the author says that intellectual work with a therapist might not help because drinking problems are essentially emotional disorders. that is the way it feels for me.

Comment

Psych Evaluation

Thanks for the link Nancy!

Doo
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Psych Evaluation

Well, if you were surprised, then you are right in thinking you are not that far gone. I think we are all honest here, with ourselves and each other. If she said you should be in the hospital, and deep down you knew she was right, there would be no question in your mind, right? A good therapist really helps you understand what you already understand in your own heart somehow, that's why they don't just come right out and tell you the answer, although you'd like them to.
        You don't wax those legs do you? Now that would be a whole lot sicker than a pint of vodka every few weeks if you ask me.
        Anemone

Comment

Working...
        X