Not sure what to do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what to do???

Not sure how to stop...as soon as I get stressed I go for the booze...how do I handle the pressures of life without it???:c

Not sure what to do???

You know what, I'm sitting here thinking the same thing! The stresses get to me too and I reach for the bottle. Then it's like I feel like I already blew it so I may as well keep it going for the weekend! I'm happy when Monday comes so I can shape up again!

I'm going home after work and listening to a CD for sure. I think with me anyway is there is a big habit thing going. I need to develop a new routine for myself especially after work and when things do get stressful. I also will NEVER give up trying because its about progress! So if I won't quit, you won't quit!

Comment

Not sure what to do???

I wish I could say that Monday brought sobreity but for me it just means another day of dealing with a head strong 2 year old with a very bad temper. I can't seem to find anything else that gets me through the very long days with my toddler. HELP!

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Hi guys, I'm not sure if my solution will help you, but I take about 1200 mg of GABA and 50 mg of p5p, which really calms me down within minutes. I also have a stonger version of the gaba called phenibut 400mg and 100 mg threonine which I'll take with the p5p and 600 mg of the GABA. Seriously, both of these help me get calm and NOT reach for the wine...actually, since I don't keep any in the house right now, I have to leave to pick some up and by the time I get ready to do that, I'm much calmer. Hope this helps.

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Thank you so much for the suggestions!! Where can I find the things you were talking about?

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Depending on the type of stress that you have (are you very busy and don't have time; is it mental stress that makes it difficult to function) there are better ways to de-stress than eating and drinking. Exercise is one of the best - meditation is also good. The hypno tapes have been a godsend to me.

You have taught yourself to de-stress with alcohol, which has been something that I have done in the past. Food was a big destresser for me too - I could do that anytime, anywhere and not worry about eating and driving. Now you have to teach yourself different ways to destress. Hobbies, deep breathing, exercise, whatever works. It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

The funny thing is that neither food nor drink work as a de-stressor. Somewhere someone taught us that but - think about it. Does drinking relieve the stress? Maybe for the moment, but it goes away so quickly. And it comes back mulitiplied by how you feel the next day, the stupid things we do and say when we drink - the feelings don't go away by taking a couple of drinks and sometimes, the way they come out is worse than if you had dealt with it in the first place.

Take a good look at yourself and decide what it is that would really, truly relieve the stress. It's different for each of us.

Barb

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Thank you for the supportive words. The main stressor I have is a toddler at home with me and no family support. By late afternoon I need a break so bad that a drink seems to be the only thing that helps. I do exercise every morning and that helps for that time...it's the rest of the day that I struggle with.

Comment

Not sure what to do???

supps and book

Have you gotten any of the supps or the book or talked to a doc about the topa or other meds out there to help you stop?? It has helped me slow down, I still reach for the drink to help me "decompress", but find I don' t need it as much as I used to........

Just a thought,

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Re: supps and book

Mary Anne
                  Forgive me if you have already said this...are you on the topa?

Comment

Not sure what to do???

Re: supps and book

Mary Anne
                    Sorry, I recall - you are on topa right? What dose are you on? Are you finding it really helping to curb how much you drink?
                    Hugs
                    Jen

Comment

Working...
                    X