Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where'd My Good Intentions Go?

Hi everyone,

Well, I had a great start to the weekend. Hubby and I ended up having last minute plans with friends. We went out for just a few hours and I moderated like a pro and had a really nice time. When I got home, I opened a beer (force of habit, although it's usually wine). And wonders of wonders, I didn't take a single sip. I just didn't want anymore. I was so proud of myself. I didn't feel guilty at all about having a few beers while we were out. I didn't go overboard. I didn't get drunk. It was a fun evening out with a few friends.

Then on Saturday, my hubby and I went on a bike ride. Later we had reservations at a dinner theater. We rarely go out so this was an especially fun-filled weekend. Before the night was over, I ended up drinking a bottle plus some of wine. Hubby, of course, did not drink at all. We didn't have a major argument, but I know that he was disappointed in my overindulgence. Hell, I was disappointed in my overindulgence...the next day.

I would really like to moderate (like I did successfully on Friday)...Why is it so difficult? I've reached the conclusion that I HAVE TO take wine out the the equation all together. A few beers is not a problem, but wine--if I open a bottle, I finish it. Today was Day 1 AF again. I'm going to try to string several together. Having that control will lift my spirits.

Just needed to vent. I'm really mad at myself for ruining an otherwise perfect weekend. At this rate, the hubby may not want to go out on "dates" in the future. I wish I would have taken L-glut and Kudzu before we left for dinner. That may have helped me stop at two glasses of wine. Thanks for listening. Actually, as late as it is, today is the beginning of Day 2 AF for me.

Julie

Alcohol - just a sip of it - reinforces the faulty part of the brain that craves the stuff.. I found that after a relatively moderate first night, the second was over the top and the third was out of control.

I firmly believe that alcoholics can't control or moderate their drinking - by giving the alcohol a chance with that "faulty" part of the brain it is just tempting fate and feeding that demon fuel to build and build.

I don't know your background so I can't comment on whether you are on of those problem drinkers that will be able to moderate.. but maybe if you do find it difficult it would be worth going completely AF?

Cheers,
    David

Comment

I totally relate Julie. I'm in the same boat. I can't even remember going to bed last night and Mr Doo is not happy with me. I said something that upset him and I don't remember a thing.

Feeling like crap here but a big hug for you.

Doo
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Hi julie,

I agree with giles on this.. I know I can't have just one glass of anything alcoholic... For years I tried to moderate and failed everytime, so for me abstinence is the only way, and you know what, I have never been happier.. Instead of having to ask and answer lots of questions such as, when to drink, how much and will I be able to stop, there is only one question and one answer for me now...

Q. Do I drink ??

A. No.

Good luck, Louise..
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Hi Julie,

I have to agree with David and Irish - wine is my drink too and I've finally realised after years of trying to have 'just two glasses' it's not going to happen - 'just two bottles' more like! So AF is my only option if I want to take control of my life...
          It's also been interesting to discover (and I say 'discover' because I never really thought it possible) to ENJOY social situations without the drink. Barbecue season here now, so that will be a challenge, but 'do I drink?' 'No' - it's easier to deal with...

So keep the determination; yesterday was a new day, you're already on day 2 :goodjob: ! - and I agree, I think if you can clock up a string of days it will give you more impetus to keep going. Also if you haven't already, try checking in to the monthly abs or long term abs threads now and again - they're great for additional motivation and inspiration!

Warmest wishes,
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Working...