Anyone using Topa beyond 12 weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering if anyone has used the Topa beyond the 12 week program and if so how much and how long. I'm about to go to wee 6 at 150 mg...been slacking on the CDs and trying moderation and feel like It's going to take me a while to find a moderation level..that it may take longer than 12 weeks for me to acclimate myself..mainly because I've been in the middle of some intense psycotherapy and then a two week retreat...just wanting to give myself and the program time to really work.

Don't think in terms of cut off dates. Take it as long as you need to, it is working and helping you get better etc. etc.

I took it for 4 and a half months before switching to antabuse. I realized at that point the topa was not going to help break the "habit." I really made lots of improvement on the topa, but need the antabuse to make me realize that I can get through a weekend, social event, ect.... without alcohol.

Many times we can't stop drinking because we don't know how to deal with situations sober that we were always drunk at. I remember my first double date without drinking. I kept telling myself there was no way I could function and have a good time.

The antabuse made is so that I couldn't drink and I not the alcohol was in charge of the good time. It is mind blowing when you realize that the weekend doesn't have to be lost to drinking.

-Nina

Comment

I agree with Nina. There is no reason why you can't take the Topa as long as you need to if it is helping you and working well. The main reason people do go off is if they can't tolerate the side effects.

I would suggest that you go to the main page of the site and check on Important Program Updates. Some people do not need to go to the full 300mg of topa for maximum benefit. Other people who go to 300mg may titrate back down after a while, but if they find their cravings return at a lower dose, they will stay at a dose that is just a bit higher than that to keep the cravings at bay. And Nina herself found a completely different solution by ultimately using Antabuse for support!

Good luck as you design your own program, and best wishes for your continued success!

Kathy

Comment

Working...
      X