Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me, or is it not working

Hi everyone

I am now up to 200mg topa, but I am still drinking, and my desire has not gone down. I am following the programmed (except the hypnosis).......

Is the the hypnosis the missing link, or when I am on 300mg, will my desire suddenly go down - I am really getting worried now.

Gareth.....

ditto

I tried to stay AF yesterday, but the desire just kicked in and took over BIG TIME, DRANK ALOT!!! (maybe not as much as I used to?: :rolleyes ??)

But, same question, I know today there is no temptation, though so it will be WAY easier.....we had a family get-together (boy they KILL me!!:eek !)

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Re: ditto

I think if you've ever been much of a drinker(which is most likely... all of us here!:lol ) You're always going to have the desire to drink...:rolleyes ... But I do feel that with this program, and the tools offered, meds supps, support,.... it can be greatly decreased, and even controlled ... depending on what your goals are.:P :y :h . Haven't you noticed any improvement at all? Keep at it. I was still drinking pretty steady for a while after starting the program. Maybe it just:rolleyes :P :d takes some of us longer than others...:d Judie

Comment

Judie, or anyone,

Yes, maybe it takes some of us longer than others, like me?? I don't know?!?! I am only at 100 mg right now (at week 4) but would also like a reply as well from others out there. As I am still drinking and wondering when will the topa and supps kick in to stop my cravings? PLEASE, I really don't have CRAVINGS, so to speak, I simply DRINK!! Out of HABIT!! Does anyone out there have anything to suggest for me to drink? I like coffee and tea but it's summer, so I'm trying Chai in my air-condonditioning! I think I just need something to drink now-I've given myself water with lemon slices in a wine glass. I'm just getting a little anxious now that I've spent all this money and am listening to the CD's religiously and taking the supp's - not only what's recommended, but I've increased some doses to decrease the cravings.

Ya know, I'm reading your post and I find that I do have a desire to drink,...but not really necessarily something containing alcohol. So that leads me to believe that there may be some hope for me after all. I just can't understand why I am so totally on this program and still drinking! It does confuse me entirely.

Any comments will be really appreiated!

Comment

Breaker, when you are drinking, are you drinking less or more than before? Maybe it would help us if you have usa quick breakdown of how you drank before versus now. Might help you see how much its helping (or not - though it sounds like it is) - so we can help - hang in there.
          Hugs
          Jen

Comment

I meant if you GAVE us a quick breakdown...uhh DOPA LOL:lol

Comment

Re: Tapes

I really think that the tapes would help. I don't do the sleep ones, but I do the other ones and the subliminals when I think about it - don't know how much they do, but the other ones really help me a lot. Last night, for the first time in a long time, I was craving - free. Actually, I don't know if I ever have been craving -free. I think I just white-knuckled it thru in the past and did not drink. I really didn't want one yesterday. I truly believe that the hypnotic CD was the one that did that. I am only doing supps and have been for about a week now.

Barb

Comment

I agree that after the cravings are gone, we still have the "habit." It IS hard to think of what to drink! I mean if we're so used to always having a glass in hand, or something to sip nearby it is important to be able to substitute something else drinkable... For me, I like Fuze, which is a delicious fruit-based drink (comes in lo-cal if you need to lose weight like me!); also fruity herbal teas make wonderful iced tea for hot weather (I have found some Russian teas (Wissotzky) like Cranberry Splash and Mango & Passionfruit, etc. But basic Red Zinger works as well! Just make it fairly strong, in a tea pot (or the kettle or saucepan, if you don't have a tea pot), leave the bags in, let it cool and put it in the fridge. Sip as needed! The Fuze and the teas have helped me a lot because I, too, like to have something to drink always on hand....and I'm happy to say it really doesn't HAVE to have alcohol in it!

best, susan

Comment

About the "cravings" I think it is in the expectations. I never thought when I started this program that I would get rid of all the cravings. I mean doesn't everyone want a cold beer on a hot day of camping or a warm red on a cold day. What I don't want is 3 beers that leads into to 1/2 a bottle vodka or 1-2 glasses of red that turns into 2 bottles. I know for myself Sunday morning has and will be my biggest trigger and I'm pretty sure they don't make enough drugs to change that. All I can do is try to plan a head and change what I usually do on that day. The time beforewhile I make dinner is tough too. I'm still working on that one.

susan,
                  I have been drinking a lot of tea as well, it has helped a lot. I put it into empty plastic water bottles and take it with me. I also water down low sugar orange juice and bring that with me too. A couple of ideas to get some liquids in.

Laura

Comment

Sundays too?

Laura, Nice to know I'm not the only one whose biggest trigger is Sunday morning(right after church no less )

Comment

ok today

It is amazing what a couple of AF days will do for ya!! (and all the feedback from you'all!! :rollin )

Drinking tea really does help..........cds too!! I just need to get some headphones (on my to do list!: )

Anyone have any luck at lower dose of topa?? I am noticing wrist and back pain is getting MUCH worse....? normally when I don't drink, my back pain goes away almost completely, but it is getting worse.........anyone else have that problem?....supposed to go up to 100, but thinkin of going back down, cuz was doin better at 25mg......does that make sense, or was I just having the "placebo effect"?????

confused!! ....but doing really well so far today(it is only 8:30 AM though!!!) :lol

Mary Anne:h

Comment

Re: ok today

Way back when you will see my post when I first started. I have been on the program for a very long time. I have had some success, but nowhere neare the success that others have shared. I think each person is different. I have benefited greatly from the topa for other things, including weight loss. I dont crave alcohol, I crave the state of mind it puts me in. And that is something I need to work on .
                        I crave the relaxed person I become. What I have noticed for absolutely positive, is I am able to stop drinking much more easily. That is huge. I still drink, but the incredible urge to keep going is not that uncontrollable urge, that you simply cannot get away from. It is still there but manageable. And there are days, that I think it is definitely possible to not even drink, but that still hasn't happened yet. That is why I don't see abstinence as a choice for me. I see others speak about it as a choice. And a simple one at that. I simply dont get that. IF that were the case, we would all be doing it. That is why I have not been posting, or engaing much. I did not do that part of the program, and dont understand how so many can just simply choose to be abstinent. I give them all the credit in the world. It just re-inforces my belief that I am probably one of those that are tdifferent. I keep on trying different things, by tweaking this and tweaking that in hopes that one day it will change. I am still searching, I have not given up. Please dont get disgouraged, keep trying.
                        syd

Comment

As to the initial question, yes the hypno cds help alot.

I used and still use the subliminal and I think the biggest thing it put in my brain is the reinforcement of "I am not that person anymore."

I find this goes through my head often times when I think about drinking. If you haven't tried the hypno cds, I would highly recommend it.

The subliminal is so easy to listen to at work or in the car.

-Nina

Comment

wow. thanks for all the honest posts..i thought I WAS THE ONLY ONE ...I have been drinking everyday since I started - 8 wks ago...granted only 1-2 drinks a night (down from 7-8) but still want a drink after work. (sometimes two) Stopped topa after 200 mg-seemed to help me more with less dosage-does that make any sense? Going to start again with topa tomorrow but only 50 mg a day instead of the 200. Doing the lgult and kudzu and I "think" it helps......i am drinking WAY LESS but drinking still....trying not to get discouraged...but realizing i cant do abs...so maybe i am in bad shape...i dont know. anyway, great to hear from all of you. hugs!!
                            hard to "quit" sometimes i wouldnt crave a drink but my mind would want one. gees...how wierd is that. glad to hear we are all experiencing some of the same....thx again.

Comment

same here

I am thinking I am going to go back down on the topa to 50 mg..............seems to be better w/ less side effects, we'll see.........been AF all week, had 2 lite beers tonight, but am done and going to bed soon now..............good to read all the input over the past day or so. :h

Thanks as always:P :happy

Mary Anne

Comment

Working...
                              X