Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Blacks checking out MWO?

Hi,

Wondering how wide The Fisherman has cast His nets.

I would like to know if there are any black people checking out the boards & give a holler out to them (as my daughter would say) and also say personally I would love to share with you, if that is OK. My husband & children are black & so although white Irish by birth I consider myself a "reverse Oreo" :lol I used to tell my kids that. Hope it does not offend you.

I just came back from a funeral in Philly for a young black man killed on the streets. He is a "beloved" member of my extended family.

Stupidly, I did not even crave a drink when we got home, but could not figure out what to do with myself. No matter. I don't even care about that right now. Just said that because I am here..

Just curious if there is anyone out there that can relate.
    Jude, Tawney? ... Anyone........?

If for nothing else this is an interesting sociological experiment to me. Thank you.
    Luv~Chrysa

Hi Chrysa,
    What I find so wonderful about this community is the fact that we know that we all have the same problem - alcohol - and that the colour of our liver used to be the same. Nicely, deeply red - efficiently working etc. It is so sad that a young man had to die long before his time. I think we can blame the socio-economic breakdown of this society for that. People are not measured by their skills, compassion, gift of the gab or any other humanizing atribute. In Northamerica you are measured by the wad of cash you have in your pocket. Most people live from paycheque to paycheque to keep that lie alive. They are also addicts. They try to keep up with the Jones monetarily and we are trying to fill that hole in our soul with liquour. Its the same damned thing. We all have to get real. Lets all just be global citizens with a problem that we are working to lick. Daily, I am thinking how grateful I am to be able to afford the cost of the internet. Just think of the millions of our sisters who are addicted and do not have this tool at their disposal. I feel very fortunate indeed. Chrysa, again I am so sorry for your families loss.
    Love Lori

Comment

Amen Lori

Comment

Hi Chrysa
        I am so sorry for your families loss. So very hard. And so very sad. I wish I had better words to say. You are such a supportive and caring person as I have seen here on the boards. Thank you for reaching out to me when things were stressful and you noticed. Here's a reach out back to you Chrysa. My heart and thoughts are with you, Gabby

And oh ya....I love color!!!!! :h :h :h : )

Comment

Thx gab... ya no words are right ... you are sweet

Comment

Oh this thread moved me! I'm so sorry for your pain, Chrysa. And you are a brave woman! I fear that there are no blacks yet on MWO or if there are, they are just lurking. I ARDENTLY hope that I am wrong on this, however! I am glad that things are changing, however. In my daughter's school there is a a lot of diversity and lots of teasing--she has white friends, black friends, hispanic friends, asian friends...it is lovely to see. They can tease each other about oreos and such, but also they are just friends. I think that they see color so much less than we do, and I am grateful for that.

At any rate, I was just reading today in National Geographic about how all of us, and I mean ALL OF US, every single one of us, are descended from an original gene pool in Africa, eastern Africa, to be precise. I have been interested in the genetic heritage project that has been going on, want to send in a blood sample, in fact. Isn't it ironic to think, though, that we ALL originated OUT OF AFRICA? I imagine that there will be some that will be violently opposed to this new science!

I shudder to think of what some of our white supremacist friends might make of this!!! We might be descendents of Africans?????:eek

GOD LOVES EVERYONE! NO EXCEPTIONS!

:d
            Kathy

I'm so sorry Chrysa! I mourn with you.

Comment

What? You're guys are white??

Well I just had to respond to this one Chrysa. As a white girl who grew up in a black neighborhood all my life I can definitely relate to the reverse oreo phenomena. Even my friends call me the "W" word. Oh well, that's just me, and it's a book I'll write later. We're a very diverse community and I've often just assumed that our brothers and sisters of color are right here with us, it's just that it's never been an issue brought up for discussion. So thanks for bringing it up. As far as I'm concerned, color isn't important, as long as you've got soul you're invited to my party!!

So sorry for you loss dear lady. What a terrible waste the streets can make of one of God's creatures. It truly is madness. I hope your family is able to come to terms with it in time. :c

One Love :h
              Deirdre

Comment

I can relate. My SO is black. Hugs to you Chrysa...and you others who posted here spoke so thoughtfully and warm. There is nothing I can add. :c

Comment

You brought up a good point, Dierdre. When I moved to New Orleans for grad school, I moved into a working class black neighborhood. Great apartment for terrific rent! I was terrified, though, being a nice little white girl from suburbs where the only black kids (all 6 of them!) were children of doctors and lawyers. Before that, I had the nerve to think that I wasn't prejudiced!!!

My terror (hardly slept for 3 nights!!) made me realize how prejudiced I was! But instead of encountering hostility from my neighbors, the people in the neighborhood were cautiously friendly, and over time, they became protective of my roomate and me, advising us where not to go and telling us if "bad" people had been hanging around. They accepted us, and we became friendly. The kids would come for walks when I walked my dog and came to tell me when my cat wandered too far from home. The teens would try to "get over" on me, just like any teens, and I would laugh and tell them to buzz off, and they would laugh at me. It was a life changing experience for me, and I will be forever grateful for it! Wasn't all a bowl of cherries--apartment was burglarized once and was mugged in another part of the city, but overall, one of the best experiences in my life, and I learned so much.

I could write so much more about what I saw working in the projects that broke my heart, and why I get furious at the lack of true social/financial/educational support from the powers that be in this country, but that would be a VERY LONG RANT, so I'll spare you. (Big sigh of relief from gentle readers!)

Anyway, I am thinking of you this morning, Chrysa, may comfort come to you and your family. Meanwhile, we grieve with you!:P :h :c

Luv,
                  Kathy

Comment

Chrysalis,

I am so sorry for your loss! Truly the loss of such a young life in such a senseless manner is heartbreaking at best. I hope you and your family can find peace and comfort with each other through this difficult time!

The subject of race is one that is close to my heart for many reasons. I feel outraged that in this day and age we are still faced with the adversity of racism being still so prevalent in our society. I live with it daily, so do my children, so do we all really. But it strikes me to think that I will never REALLY understand what it is like to be a person of color.

I sit here with my sandy blonde hair, my blue eyes, and my fair skin. I can go pretty much anywhere I please, do anything I want, and no one will give me a second thought. However, it breaks my heart that someone, just because of the color of the skin on their body, will never know such freedom. I can say all I want that I am not prejudice, and truly I don?t think I am. That is how I was raised, I have raised my children the same. But the fact remains, society as a whole still sees color, they have yet to become colorblind.

I wish I had an answer. I wish I could change the way society sees people. Heck, I wish I could change the way the people in my own backyard see people. It is simply everywhere I turn! Until then, I choose to remain colorblind and hope that one by one those around me become the same way. Lead by example, that is what I say! Who knows, maybe colorblindness is contagious, and those of us who have it can pass it on to those of us who don?t!

Donna

Comment

Kathy -- I love that information about the project in Africa. I am going to get that article. Thanks. And for your thoughts.

Deidre -- I agree -- Certainly has nothing to do with skin color -just the racial nature of our society. I brought up the question because without ever intending to be so this site has become one where it seems the majority of folks that post a lot seem to be white, probably upper-middle class, white women. Am I wrong? So I was curious if there were others reading. Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with the boards the way they are. Anyway I do not want to become controversial. Just wondering.

LOVE everyone's thoughts. :h Thanks. Chrysa

Oh - right Kathy -- black people are the most accepting of all, very loving communities

Comment

I'm sitting here with my totally "mixed" blood (who knows what?) ....knew I was "white" Irish-Native American Indian...now you tell me I'm African-Americian too!!!
                        What do you want me to put on the next form I have to fill out?:happy

All I KNOW is I have "sisters" and "brothers" in a rainbow of colors and we all have the same Father.....and....He loves us all like we are His favorite!!!

BTW.....have you "phoned home" lately? I'm sure He would love to hear from you!:h

Nancy:d :d :d

Comment

Chrysa, What's weird to me is that not only are these mostly white women, but white women within a certain demographic in English-speaking countries all over the world! It shows how specific and subtle web communication is. Anyway, I've been aware of your coming funeral. We've all seen kids die of terrible things. It's always an awful waste, and it always reminds you how imperfect this ridiculous world is. I've gone to many funerals of people under 25.

Comment

Chrysa and all, just to clarify, the "Project" isn't in Africa, I'm not sure where it is located--likely the US or UK. The fact is that we are ALL related, that ALL of humanity originated from a group of humans from Eastern Africa that migrated to other places all over the globe beginning over 70,000 years ago. It is mind-boggling!!! We have all evolved in different ways over time, and the color of our skin, our hair, the shape of our noses, lips, height and other things have changed, but if you look at our genes, 99.9% of our genetic material is the same, whether you are black, white, asian, or whatever! I think that is the most amazing and wonderful thing!

We are truly
                            brother and sisters in this world--maybe someday soon, more of us WILL wake up and start treating each other that way! I know on MWO, most likely, I'm preaching to the choir!

I looked it up; the article is in the March, 2006, issue of National Geographic.

Much love to your family and to you, Chrsya. I hope that each day brings you a measure of healing. Somehow, reading that article made me feel so much more connected with the whole world....

:P :h
                            Kathy

Comment

............blacks.............

Dear Kathy,
                              Yes, I too saw the article. One of our Canadian channels run an antropological documentary on this subject. I could not help myself but felt a divious pleasure in imagining the KKK at their next meeting discussing the possibility that their genepool might come from Africa. Isn't it wonderful to enjoy the triumph of knowledge over ignorance.
                              Gleefully, Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X