Any Blacks checking out MWO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!!! You guys are great. Thank you so much fo rthe feedback. I am so excited about that study!!! My husband has often mentioned that they studied & investigated that very topic in college.

Sophie -- yes very interesting --so, so.. give it up girl -- why those funerals?

Lori, Donna, Kathy, Gabby, Deirdre -- I think you all have beautiful souls!!

Truth be told ladies, I did not know this young man very well. I formed an attachment, loving bond with his Mom & I ache for her. As a family matter, for my immediate family, this is pretty removed. His grandmother, my sister-in-law, whom I loved dearly, passed in January & I am glad she did not have to deal with this. Shocking actually. Hard to get my mind around really. I never knew someone who was shot & killed & it is worse than that (I learned today).

I am currently living as one of the privileged & protected of the world -- but worked for it -- it is what we wanted for our kids. And were fortunate enought to get it.

I have a very good life & am very grateful.
    Luv, Chrysa

Comment

Colour of Skin

I must say all the times I ever came into the forum I have never, ever thought of the peole here in terms of their skin colour!

And I still don't want to..... I couldn't care less whether we are black, white, pink or purple.... and neither does alcohol. That strange brain circuity that makes us problem drinkers doesn't distinguish between genders or whether we have this religion or that or if we have blonde hair or black ...and I certainly know that I personally want to chat to anyone and everyone who has a problem.

Let's just keep focused on our common goal - we're all human and in this together. Who gives a damm about the surface stuff.... ..

Misha

Comment

Re: Colour of Skin

Yes Misha! I am so glad you feel the way you do ... me too...wish the world belonged to us...if only we ran the world...and yes the color of skin is truly surface b..s....unfortunately racism (in USA) is not..warm regards..C

Comment

skin colour

chrys

I know I know..... but we're not in the USA here or in Australia here or in France or Iraq or the UK.... we're in the MYO forum. We're here in our space together and boundaries don't matter. We're us.. you and me together in our fight against the demon alcohol!!!

Our common goal is to help each other with our drinking problems.... as someone said earlier. our livers started out the same colour..!

Let's just keep things simple and to the point..

Mish

Comment

Greetings all, I read somewhere that if we couldn't see would there be a race problem? (well probably, we are human and we would no doubt find some other dividing trait to exploit)
            but I find being part of this community just like that, we can't see each other, and that is so empowering for me. and it somehow helps me to encourage and empower other because I am not making my usual visual judgements. I have to trust my guts more. I am being honest there, I try hard not to but I know I make visual judgements, I think most people do.

I think the genetic link back to africa is wonderful, for me it begins to make the adam and eve story very real. Who knows where the garden of eden was. It could easily have been africa!

Comment

......black..........

Hi Sophia,
              latest digs and research show that the Garden of Eden may have been located between the Euphrates and the Tigris river, which would make it what we call Irak today. Ironic, isn't it.
              Lori

Comment

Re: ......black..........

Hey Mishaio,

Just wanted to respond to your posts. I agree with you that our PRIMARY reason for being here is about our drinking issues. But as you spend more time here, you will find that we all begin to share about more than just drinking. We share our thoughts/opinions/feelings about a lot of other things too, because we are all much, much more than just our drinking problem. The good news is that you are free to participate/read/respond as much or as little as you want!

I had never thought about skin color here either until Chrysa brought it up, but why would I? I've never experienced any serious sort of prejudice against myself, so it's not something that is normally on my radar screen. I'm glad that you don't care what color anyone is here. I don't think that most of us here do either. I think the issue is more one of accessibility and/or awareness of MWO as a resource to people of other races than it would be of acceptance here on the boards.

At any rate, I found this post very meaningful and enriching, even though it wasn't about drinking, per se. Welcome to MWO--I hope you will register soon and let us know more about you!

Kathy

Comment

Re: ......black..........

Kathy;

You said it best! Alcohol is an Equal Opportunity Addiction, for whoever drinks! We share our thoughts, hurts, opinions and our good and bad times...It's all about support here at MWO!

Brandy...

Comment

Chrysalis;

I'm sorry to hear about your loss..Sounds like the "African American" community lost someone special...

Brandy

Comment

MYO

Hi Kate

Yep it's me. I've been with MYO since last July and thought I should start visiting more regularly again. (I thought I was a registered member, but must've got disconnected somewhere).

How wonderful to see what a big family the forum has become!

Mish

Comment

Re: quick response to something

Kath,
                        Your statement about "we are more than our drinking problem" is so correct to healing I think. One of the major reasons my daughter survived was that she had goals & a life to live. We all (counslors included believed that.)

I had a short stint in AA groups & the whole thing of always saying "I'm so & so & and I'm an alcoholic( or drug addict)". I'll tell you a story sometime when I was trying to get off my migraine pain killers & I was in a clinic group (OMG -- funny there is more to it) I intorduced myslef with the l ine & then they aske d what is your drug of choice & I answered & everyone looked at me & raised their eyebrows -- like -- what -- who are YOU? lady -- -- BUT it was in fact a rather serious addiction.

Comment

Working...
                        X