Alcohol as a Christmas Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of giving alcohol as a gift to friends and family at Christmas when you are actively trying to avoid it yourself?

I have a few close to me who have a real taste for a quality liquor or spirit - like rum & single barrel whisky. Not in an alcoholic way - but they will actually enjoy a glass of it here and there. The bottle would last a while.

Is there anything wrong in giving it as a gift?

Off the top of my head, I'd say no, but if somebody bought me some expensive booze back in the day, I'd be obligated to have a glass with them.

Would be awkward for me though. Plus the oddness of going in to the liquer store to buy it, etc unless you are comfortable enough in your own sobriety of course.

Comment

I guess since I'm starting to see alcohol as something no one really needs to be drinking, and perhaps shouldn't be, I'm no longer giving it as a gift. Plus, you never know who is struggling with an addiction so I'd hate to inadvertently fuel that fire for someone else. I also don't give baked goodies anymore so I guess I'm turning into a Scrooge :H.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with it as long as you are not tempted by doing it. I give my bosses alcohol gifts every Christmas and I have no problem with buying it or giving it to them. I have been sober for over 2 1/2 years now and I have no problems being around people who drink.

Everyone is different. If you feel comfortable with it, go ahead. If not, then buy them something else.
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

[I JZXZjtQKy+FWYCqNFO4VB/9cxx39JWdIbp2ZhbTfecXpF41LumSaT0uVwdZ1021bnp9L/nK62f2sxFMBWPiKNBnvmFv4t597zuq9sKxJsqLy3/nrMs4LtceRTSc4nGKgJJAAlf9qdv/AGnKigimpvrvY2tfpa8wNo7Wq1/jbTkBZflNY7f7y7Fh49yoy5uXUeiihZwFBJOgA3mbKrs3EUh95 SZBpqRdfNcDzC4B0MmXdz2W0GKqDVh90vJT+2epG7prxlg4rC0 qlJ6LAZHBVh6jffnIvniLahNMG67lEO43bppY1sOx8ldDlG+1S mCw9AVL/IS/J5M2bWfCYtWpm70qvkPMo9h7H8DPWFFiVBYZSQLi97G2ovNDO+ 4iICIiAiIgIiICIiAiIgIiICIiAkY7zMaaOy8Uygkmnk04eIQh PsGMk81PanYy4zC1KDG2a1j1BBH4QPMGxtl+PiUpXsHJ9bKpY2 +Umu2OzlEUvCItusRvuJp22c+zdpU1qEMEqCzLexRxlJA6Bjpz Enu0Bc85lz2mLRpq8eIms7VB2kA+0Mwp+Fm8xUEFR/p6TWiS/tyihN2uYD00J/AfWQ6ijMQoBJJAAGpJO4DrL8d+UbU5Kcbacg7v1rN52Y7LV8e+ WkLKD95Ua+RB/dun4TP2L2FrtUQ4n7qle9QBlNTLyAFwCd2p0l57Mw9ChSVKCql MDyhd2vHqTznnef8AiEYK6p3M/wCQ6phme59Irsvu1wFBRnTx3tq1U3Hso0E42n2dwdsooUwOiiS 2rVvNPVoksZ87Hl5b35WtLTFK/DD8UKAq2sNLD5TFr4mxFzx+gH52nO1cK9Kk9QWOVSVv6aXmj2b XNVizA8/ee7jy1yRusrumh7U9n6tTGJ4YucQyhQNMrkhbH6G89H4Wmyoqs 2YhQCd1yBYmQLs7hg9emCL5TnPQghh9VEsKephturBnrFbkREt UkREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAj23ux+GxTI7LldGVlIHI3I t1kR2/sJ1rU6b1si1Wy08rBWf8AeAvrcC5sJZeIrqilmNgP1aQrB4OnW xz4p7tVVMtO7ErTVtLKNwNgdd+plOSKzMRPtdjtasTMemp7ddg 0xlG9FhSrAhrG/hOQpFm/d9R8jKy7D7KaltCqldMlSjTY5G3hiVUMOYsTqN+YGX3VaRrtT2 eTE5aqgriKYPhupKkqd6MeI9f7mdXrukxDitv+omWhzHWSLs8W 8HXcGOX0lfPiagvmdhbqRx5c9JZPdZRZ8NUeqMwNW1Iv5vKqgH Lfhe49QZ4+Twvz44bbsl+Ndsmc6Cb3bWzlqUHRFys4yhksjLfT MGAutt9xrPNdDaG0VIY4qoTbUMxdfSxlE/gs1+6FNcs29QtztJilamy5gBbnw4yPbOpAHTj8pB8fXxOIXLUq nKfiCgAH14zN2PQrIoTxXKjcCdAvIcbe80+P40Yazue19eW9aW/2LxlI4l6f/UKZluCAwBscrbidLkb7EScSlNkYt6ToVNmDCx6bvw095cuCrip TVwLZlBtyvwnpePeJjTN5NJrbfy7oiJoZiIiAiIgIiICIiAiIg IiICIiAiIgYe18F41IoDY6EE7rjdfpIvg9mYrDuT4WZTvyFTf0 439pNIldscWnf1WVyTWJj6I61+IK9GBB+s6mEkzKDoQCOs6GwN M/s/jO9ONoPiOwS4qo1Q1TSRmuyqgLEgC5VybC5v+yZN9nYGnQpJSp jKiKFUb9BzPEnfeZCqALDQTmRFYj0mbTPuSVNtvu0rqxNDLVp3 uq3CuL8NdD639pbMSL0i3tNMk0ncKMPZTEU/ioVh6U3Yf8AiCJk0NnFDZ0dTxzKyn5ES6bTmU/po+V/6q3wq/Y2wXq1RZGAH7bKQoHME/Eegll4WgKaKi7lAA9p2xLceKKelWTLN/ZERLFRERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAR EQEREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAREQEREBERAR EQEREBERAREQEREBERA//Z" alt="" />]Londoner...........Really ! Don't your friends enjoy other things !?! Your trying to quit.....stay away from the Liquor store. Give them a stuff animal or something.....Ha! Tony[/I]
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Londoner - something I'm learning about myself - if I have to ask someone if it is ok for me to do "X", I already know (whether I realize it or not) that on some level, it isn't ok with me.

It's the old "does this look ok" which is the equivalent of "I know it looks bad, but can I get away with it?".
            10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Londoner.......Really ! Don't your friends enjoy other things besides Alcohol !?! The last thing you want to do is go into a Liquor store when your trying to stop to drink. Get them a stuffed animal or something...Ha!
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

I just read your sober date (actually I saw it earlier but I thought you were saying it opposite of what I was seeing). I would say it is WAY to early for you to buy alcohol as a gift. Too tempting as this early stage. Definitely get something else.
                AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Cheers guys, I guess I want to buy a gift as I've been a shoddy friend this year.

Going to buy an adventure day out for all of us instead.

Comment

Hi Londoner,

It's nice that you want to give a gift because you've been a shoddy friend, but has it crossed your mind that giving alcohol might be a shoddy gift? All I can see are the negative effects of it everywhere I look.
                    Kairos
                    Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

It may not be the best idea for you to do it. Some can and some can't. Me personally I won't do it. If I buy it, I will be tempted to drink it. I can handle al in the house and be around al fine if its not mine, however I don't know if I could buy al and not be tempted to drink it. You could give them something else that they would enjoy.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Londoner
                        I have to admit, following your struggles with booze, I believe this may be a huge set up for drink, and if that's what you want to do, then by all means, go for it, but if you're trying to stop, I suggest you leave it alone. Just my humble opinion.
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

I'm with Sam on this one. It wouldn't bother me because I can buy AL pretty easily where I live and no-one would bat an eyelid - except me. What I mean is that for me - having AL in the house or not in the house makes no difference because if I decide I want to drink, I can easily do so.

However I personally now like to give a message to friends that AL is not part of my life and so I choose non-AL gifts.

Comment

An adventure day out sounds like a blast. Zip line. Sky diving. So many things to choose from. No al needed for a huge adrenaline rush.
                            Have fun.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Definitely not buying booze as a gift for anyone.

Thanks for making my mind up

Comment

Working...
                              X