The morning after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The morning after

I wanted to post this morning since I didn't post last night. I just read and read through these threads until bedtime. I had really strong cravings last night, I did not give in but I seemed to be fighting the urges for hours last night. I'm trying to go over the events so that I better understand what was happening.

There seemed to be no specific triggers, other than coming home late after a long evening of driving my autistic son from activity to activity after school. There is a lot of driving during rush hour, fighting to park and then waiting around during the activity. I think I felt that I needed a "reward" after a long day. When I came home I felt anxious, missing a glass of wine (which I know full well would have turned into a full bottle, or more). I was not "in the mood" to distract myself, even though there was cleaning up, laundry and dishes to do. I read while watching TV instead.

This morning I woke up extremely grateful that I made it through. I thought about what my morning would have been like if I decided to drink.... Like I said 1 drink = > 6 drinks. There is no getting around that equation for me. It would not have been pretty this morning.

My question is how often and how many of these evenings do I have to endure before they go away? I think I need to go throughout the tool box more thoroughly, nothing seemed to click at all yesterday for me though. I felt stuck in this craving deprived mind frame that I couldn't snap out of. Any suggestions?

The morning after

Hi Peace: I wish I could give you an exact number... Early on I felt like a was riding waves of cravings like tsunamis for hours on end.
    Someone pointed me to the PAWS website. That helped...sorry I don't have the link right here.

I believe reposition is the best answer..retraining our brain. And by repetition I mean read read read...watch those rain in my heart docs...post....this more than anything else has helped me.

I can honestly say the MWO has completely ruined my drinking!! :H

:l:h
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

The morning after

Hi, lfp,

It's good you recognize all that led up to how you felt last night. And how powerful it is how you felt this morning. For me much of sobriety is about changing habits. Reading and posting on here helped me so much.

You'll get another night like last night and you won't drink and you'll get another glorious morning like today and then they'll start stacking up. And each sober night will give you more confidence that you'll have another. And if you do drink one night, hopefully, your feelings the next morning will put you back on your sober path.

Comment

Working...
      X