Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hypothetical question

Hiya,

Well I was just wondering last night what would have happened if I had put a lid on the sauce earlier? Hence hypothetical because I am now 50... but I wonder if I had say calmed it down between the ages of 25-30, if I had realised then and moderated it whether I would be at this point now. If I had only had 10 years of abusive drinking instead of 30 yrs would I have been able to moderate it?? Because then the brain pathways should be easier to change, the less time you had been drinking?. Or not?

Does it work that way? Or are we born that way?

Would love to hear your thoughts

Patrice

A hypothetical question

Molly, that's really interesting... that was a short timespan!!. So maybe it could be that we could reach that crossover point in 1 year or 40 yrs.. maybe it's pre determined? I guess these days we hear research on brain changes and pathways etc and I just wondered how that actually works over time...
    But like I said hypothetical for me... cos I aint going back there!!
    x

Comment

A hypothetical question

Hi Patrice,

I'm pretty sure I was born that way. I always knew I was headed for trouble with my drinking, from the start. It didn't slow me down much, though. I quit for good in my early thirties, after many years of trying to quit, moderate or manage my drinking very, very unsuccessfully. I know in my heart that there is no going back in any way. Even if it were possible, I wouldn't. Drinking was like being in prison, mentally, spiritually and physically. I have no desire to go back to prison occasionally, or on the weekends! Moderation is a concept that might make sense hypothetically, but it doesn't really exist. It's like trying to grab your own shadow. I guess to answer your question, I think it was like a switch that got flipped for me.
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

A hypothetical question

Hi Pinecone - I love that analogy.. no desire to go back to prison on the weekends!!
        I think I was born this way as well and yes my switch tripped 3 years ago.. Sheesh its taken me a long time to find a sparky!!! Hopefully the new wiring will do the trick

Comment

A hypothetical question

A counselor used to post here who treated people with alcohol and other problems. She stated that alcohol permanantly damages our neurological system. It's not only a matter of time, but also how much we drink. I went over the line of alcohol abuse in my late 40's I guess. I reduced my drinking when I joined here, but the only way to completely get my life back under control was to quit drinking.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

A hypothetical question

IM(very humble)O

We quit when we are ready to, and not a minute earlier. I spent the better part of nearly 20 years.......wishing I would quit, full well knowing I had a problem, and I needed to stop

Finally one day I had my "Ahhhh Hahhhh" moment and the rest as they say is history. I "guess" if that ahhh hahhhh moment would have happened 20 years ago......Id be at 22 years instead of just the 2

The extended length of time also probably does contribute to our desire to hang on a little too long, to our old friend AL

Something to ponder though.......keep up the good work........
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

A hypothetical question

patrice;1589961 wrote: Hiya,

Well I was just wondering last night what would have happened if I had put a lid on the sauce earlier? Hence hypothetical because I am now 50... but I wonder if I had say calmed it down between the ages of 25-30, if I had realised then and moderated it whether I would be at this point now. If I had only had 10 years of abusive drinking instead of 30 yrs would I have been able to moderate it?? Because then the brain pathways should be easier to change, the less time you had been drinking?. Or not?

Does it work that way? Or are we born that way?

Would love to hear your thoughts

Patrice
              Well I stopped drinking at 30 and I can't moderate, for me moderation is a fantasy that always gets out of control and I can never moderate successfully, for me abstaining is the way. So my brain pathways have never adjusted to moderating
              I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
              Audrey Hepburn

Comment

A hypothetical question

littlepinkcat;1590439 wrote: Well I stopped drinking at 30 and I can't moderate, for me moderation is a fantasy that always gets out of control and I can never moderate successfully, for me abstaining is the way. So my brain pathways have never adjusted to moderating
                I forgot to mention i'm 32 years old now and 1 and a half years sober now, and no change in moderation thinking, I still couldn't moderate. I could 4 a wee bit and then bang, back to my old binge drinking ways and all the chaos that goes with it.
                I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                Audrey Hepburn

Comment

A hypothetical question

How I would have loved to stop poisoning myself at 25 with alcoHELL wasted 20 more years with it trapped in the sheep like prison of conformity and despair.

I binged all through my younger years all through my 30s then early 40s the more sinister drinking wine at home alone began from there on it was downhill.

The freedom I feel now at nearly 2 years sober is the greatest thing I have ever done for myself , ever.

I pity anyone that drinks any amount .
                  Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

A hypothetical question

Thanks all for your interesting replies, I guess we all seem to follow a variety of differing paths and lengths of time before we all end up at the same dead end...
                    199 - I am so heartened when I hear people like you saying that it was the best thing you ever did!
                    Neltz- yes I think for me it's time
                    Pink- Fantastic on being young and having given it the boot!

Comment

A hypothetical question

What Pinecone said - so very very true.
                      AF since 28 October 2013
                      600 days on 20 June 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X