humming and hawing about AA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen a few posts recently where people are thinking about it but are scared to actually do it, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I was always sceptical, being an atheist I thought AA was a religious thing and I wanted no part of that. I had a couple of friends on this site who promoted it to me, but I always pooh poohed it. I think I was in denial.

I had 90 odd days of sobriety behind me when I fell. And boy, I don't do things by halves. AL had me in such a state. MWO is great, but time difference between different countries and continents means you can reach out and not get a reply for hours.

I was on my knees, literally when I finally called AA. I was desperate. I was promised a call back within five minutes and I got it. A lovely lady talked to me, I was drunk, she listened. She listened and understood because she had been there.

We arranged to meet the next day to go to a meeting. Six weeks ago, I remember it so well. I was rattling, shaking so badly but immediately was surrounded by care .No judgement. I have been going to meetings ever since.

I have heard a lot, and listened, and learned. Age means nothing in AA. I have heard 25 year olds share their experience, and I envy them. Getting it so early.

I haven't embarked on the twelve step programme yet, but I have stepped up and admitted in a room full of people that I am indeed, an alcoholic.

One of the ladies I am friendly with describes it as finding her lost tribe. There is nothing to fear about AA, if you are honest and want to be sober.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Thanks for posting it. Around me they meet at laces like Starbucks. Not too anonymous that way! That's part of what scares me.

Comment

Thank you Halo!!! What a great idea.

I'd like to chime in as well...

I picked up the phone about a month ago and called the regional AA office. While I had been flirting with the idea of AA for years, really... it was only recently that I had to concede defeat in trying to 'moderate' or to control my drinking on my own. I live in a very small and rural area with few meetings close by. A lady called me back (from hours away) and we talked for quite some time. The day after that I attended my first meeting.

Much like Halo, I was scared sh*tless to walk into that meeting. And much like her, I was made feel welcome right away. Our meetings are rather informal (I'm guessing, in comparison to the much larger meetings in big cities).. so someone pulled up a chair for me, shook my hand, and introduced himself. Of course, I ran into people I knew, too.

This week Monday, there was a Christmas dinner followed by a meeting... and it occurred to me, how much has changed in that short month. From scared and uncomfortable to feeling very much at home and safe. I don't regret my decision to finally make the leap to AA for one second.

I do have a sponsor and home group now and we are starting on the steps. I attend 3 meetings a week (the 3 meetings closest to my home).

In regards to 'Higher Power'... I still have some difficulties wrapping my head around that as well. While I do consider myself somewhat spiritual, I am by no means religious, nor do I care to be. The nice thing about the view on Higher Power in AA is, that you can make it up as you go, or as you see fit. You may view the supportive energy of the group as your Higher Power, if nothing else works for you.
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
      X