Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your Program and What Makes it Solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It IS a long road, it took me 5 years to quit after joining here. But most of that time I continued to learn, and now my sobriety feels very solid. I just don't want to drink. There is no reason to do that.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Jvo move forward, but learn from the past. What triggered you last night and how will you deal with it differently the next time?
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

june,
        what triggered me was being in a familiar place where we consumed lots of alcohol. We went to have wings, then when I got there, it was as if the past 40 days didn't happen. I won't go there for a very long time, and any place that I go to where I drank, I will be on guard. I did most of my drinking at home, luckily, as I wouldn't be able to go anywhere!
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi All
          J-vo this is not about your program but I wanted to ask you if you didn't have a concern before going to a place you used to drink at. Part of being honest with ourselves is realizing what we can and can't do in early recovery. If ahead of time there is a concern about our recovery should we take a chance being in certain situations or with certain people? We do have to sacrifice a lot at the start. It won't always be like that.
          I used to rate situations in regards to the danger it presented to staying sober. Going into that situation would have been at the top of my list. Some activities that where part of my life for over 30 years I couldn't engage in until I had a couple years sober.
          Every relapse is to be learned from. I on the other hand would relapse and throw in the towel for another year. Glad to see you here back in the fight.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF. 5-16-08
          Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08

Comment

I agree, Caysea. I was a hermit for about 3 months! I guess it helped that it was after the holidays and during the cold time of year that staying inside was kind of nice. Some things can't be avoided but whenever you can give yourself a break, it sure is a good idea!

Comment

Caysea. You bring up excellent point for me to reflect upon. And you're right. In the beginning, we've got to sacrifice many things. No, I wasn't in a good place in my head when I made that choice and didn't bother to call my "person" like I promised. If I'm going to do this it will take more accountability for me and careful thought into daily activity. Thank you!
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Yea, NS, holidays are a stress in itself on top of beginning a journey, but I feel right about this being the time. It'll take extra vigilance and I'm ready for this challenge. No more excuses and complete honesty.

Comment

Fear...........fear of ever being in the grips of AL ever again. Having no "off" button to speak of when it comes to AL, its just better for me to stay afraid.........very afraid of what it makes me into,

Hell I dont even like me when Im drinking..............:H
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Sunbeam, I'm so glad you found your way out! Really happy for you. Modding was too difficult, and not meant for me.

Nelz, I can understand what you're saying. I've always had that fear factor, but I hope it changes over time. I don't want to live in fear. But I definitely didn't like myself at all as a drinker. I want a new life and find a new me. I do fear alcohol. It's a scary beast. Maybe we need to keep that fear factor alive so that we don't go back?

Comment

j-vo;1593694 wrote: Sunbeam, I'm so glad you found your way out! Really happy for you. Modding was too difficult, and not meant for me.

Nelz, I can understand what you're saying. I've always had that fear factor, but I hope it changes over time. I don't want to live in fear. But I definitely didn't like myself at all as a drinker. I want a new life and find a new me. I do fear alcohol. It's a scary beast. Maybe we need to keep that fear factor alive so that we don't go back?
                      Thats exactly what I was meaning when I said fear....I just keep that alive a little, not an all consuming fear....more like respect
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Gotcha Nelz!

Comment

Note to self: Days off = danger to me. Schedule my weekend nights carefully, my summers even more carefullly.

Comment

Working...
                          X