Dangers of alcohol and sexual assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in September, my alma mater the University of Iowa was in the news when a female coed tried to run onto the field, was arrested, blew a .341 then tweeted about it from jail. Now, one of my other alma maters, Florida State is in the news. The star quarterback (who is likely to get the Heisman this year), has likely gotten away with rape because the accuser was so intoxicated, that by her own admission, her memory was "very broken" (see the linked news article). The prosecutor's office declined to press charges citing that the evidence was too thin to get a conviction. There is more to the story including bungled police work, but had the accuser's story been more certain and solid, I think the police would have had to take it more seriously.

Warrants detail accusations in Jameis Winston case
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

This happens way too often. I too was assaulted while drunk in my early 20's. I had been out to a club and when I got back to my apartment I went to bed (drunk). My "friends" invited some people over and I woke up to a stranger on me. I got him off of me and went into the bathroom. When I came out I told everyone what happened and they all tried to convince me it didn't. I went back to bed (and locked my bedroom door). I knew I was still drunk and no police officer would believe me anyway. A couple weeks later these same "friends" told me it really did happen and they were sorry they lied. They thought I would forget because I was drunk. I still remember it vividly 20 plus years later. It is horrible that guys know they can do this and get away with it.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

^ it's even more horrible that so called 'friends ' can do this to others. I'm gathering you left them in the dust, where they belong.
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Alky you always have interesting posts.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
        X