Five years later, this post dives deeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bestlifeldms;589525 wrote: hidden, I think it is that you are starting to view things from a new and different perspective. Remember that alcohol abuse / alcoholism - is a progressive problem! Left unchecked it does gets worse. As the years go by, our bodies require more and more alcohol to attain the same level of buzz or escape. The higher the alcohol consumption levels become, the more negative side effects it has on us, physically, emotionally, financially, psychologically - in every way! Attaining an AF period allows us to - "see the real picture" if you will. We begin once again to "notice" the state of all the aspects of our lives. And in most cases, it's WOW! I didn't realize my closets were such a mess, my windows are so dirty, my refrigerator hasn't been cleaned in way too long... etc. My finances need attention, my relationships are suffering, I am capable of far greater quality of work as an AF individual, than when using AL on a regular basis - it is endless. AF we have an awareness that was clouded, when drinking. And, while we are overcome with a great feeling - of feeling better physically, it can be overwhelming when we "acknowledge" the state our affairs are in. We realize it is because we have neglected them or made them worse while drinking on a regular basis. When making a committment to an AF lifestyle is very self involved, initially. After a period, we are no longer high maintenance. It becomes - second nature. Without a thought. Plus - we process, fix, take care of, everything that we have found in our lives that need attention. Keeping up, is always easier than catching up. After catching up, all aspects of our lives are lived with an "ease" we could not have, while drinking.
    Its 5 years down the line from when I started this thread. I was just beginning to look back then. I have had several AF 'stints' and yet here I return to consider this all again. BUT! this post by BestLife explains what happened to me today > Non-chalantly on a 4th AF day, I came home from work, really wanting 'the usual wine', but there was none, and I just did not want to 'succumb' - yet. So I sputtered around the kitchen and house and got mad at the piles, and old outdated, dirty light switches, the broken appliances, and knew again, that this is the stuff I get to ignore when I do my wine and other chores that allow wine. I ignore whats broken and needs fixing (including stubborn relationships) or I blame it on my husband, like its his job.

So, it was rereading -this- post that has me thinking I might linger here again. That it might do me some good to reflect and spit some stuff out.

Hidden

good job Hidden....it's easy to ignore the little things when we are wasted
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I agree with this 100%. So easy to stick our heads in the sand. Good to see you back.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

"Keeping up, is always easier than catching up." This says it all. I could never really put it so succinctly, but I have thought about this many times. Anyway, nice to meet you Hidden. And thanks for this post. I'm in the process of trying to fix my broken life, so your post came at the perfect time to keep me strong and moving forward.
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

HG! So good to "see" you!
          I can relate, and how I've come to understand it:
          My insanity surfaces.... Maybe I can have one... I know the feeling when the AL hits my "being"...
          The obsession grows until I succumb.... And then the allergy sets in!
          My disease is one of always wanting MORE!! Never enough...
          The old wisdom? 1 is too many and a 1000 not enough!!
          Hang in there HG, sobriety is SO worth it! Whatever it takes!!
          Hope I see you in chat some time...
          Hugs from Africa!
          Sol xxx

Comment

An excellent post and very, very true.
            AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Thanks so much for reposting this. It's so true and another perspective that I haven't thought of..... Alcohol allows you to forget about everything that needs fixing including things, relationships and personal growth, everything.

Just as I thought I knew every angle of this alcohol thing after analyzing it foe years.

Comment

Hey all -

Good to be back here a bit....its always such an introspective journey when I put the glass down for a bit.

Solitaire, I have checked chat a few times, but seems no one is ever there....I will keep checking, though, because its a great tool, it helps in 'those moments', and its just fun!

GuessI will get back to acronyms

Hidden

Comment

Wow, spiderwoman...a year!! good job!!

Comment

Hi Hidden,
                    Welcome back, and that was a great post. Yes, it so much easier, life that is, without the drink. This is my priority right now, because if I fail this, everything else will fail, too.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

j-vo;1597850 wrote: Hi Hidden,
                      Welcome back, and that was a great post. Yes, it so much easier, life that is, without the drink. This is my priority right now, because if I fail this, everything else will fail, too.
                      Where's the Like" button?

HG

Comment

Working...
                      X