Army thread Wednesday 11 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird suburban moment of the day: the outside door of our bedroom is open and I can hear the kids next door playing. The one has just been singing / chanting "hondedrolle, hondedrolle op die gras" over and over again. Translation: dog shit, dog shit on the lawn.

Indeed. Jasmine isn't an innocent either. Another reason I actually prefer cats.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Was it something I said?
      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

:wavin: Tips and absent Army

Hondedrolle is such a nice word, Tips. Love Die Taal. Wonderful way of spending the left-over lunch money. An ex-colleague runs a similar project for rape babies and children, and the support she gets is heart-warming. However, I get enraged that such projects should even be necessary, especially for babies and young girls.

I'm busy reading A game ranger remember, by somebody Bryden, Bruce I think (too lazy to go and check) who was spent most of his adult life in the Kruger in various capacities. Fascinating stuff - lots of laugh-out-loud anecdotes, but also a more serious look at conservation issues. God I miss the park - haven't been there in about 3, maybe 4 years.
        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

:hallo: Dreamy

Sounds like an interesting book!

I hear you. It is unfortunately much too common an occurrence.
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1597600 wrote: Was it something I said?
            No
            :H:H

Comment

Here's a link to the website of the support organization. It's heartbreaking if you look at list of items they request. I get a knot in my stomach when I think about what those children go through.

Tutuzela Care Centre - Infinitely Possible
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

DreamThinkDo;1597606 wrote: No
                :H:H
                I was getting worried there for a moment :H
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Trying to get my head in the right place for Xmas. Much as I love my family - and I love them dearly - they can become a bit much, and we'll be almost 20 people at home. It was easy to cope with the usual tension in the past with a glass in my hand, and not sure what I'm going to do this year. Advice? Sorry, it's more of a NN question, but, yeah...

Comment

That's the project I was talking about!

Comment

Maria will be absolutely delighted!

Comment

DreamThinkDo;1597612 wrote: Trying to get my head in the right place for Xmas. Much as I love my family - and I love them dearly - they can become a bit much, and we'll be almost 20 people at home. It was easy to cope with the usual tension in the past with a glass in my hand, and not sure what I'm going to do this year. Advice? Sorry, it's more of a NN question, but, yeah...
                        Eish. I can't really relate to Xmas specifically. My family is completely dysfunctional, so it's always just the 4 of us, and now mum. Very stress-free and laid-back.

General family occasions were initially difficult after going AF. It was much more about the fact of me stopping than any real tension, thoughThese get-togethers usually take the form of a lunch or summat. Never extended periods in each others' company.
                        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

DreamThinkDo;1597615 wrote: Maria will be absolutely delighted!
                          Ha-ha. We're doing it through one of my team members who is involved with them. Small world, eh?
                          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

We all have strong personalities - which really means we're all bossy and want things done our way. Plus you know how family members know exactly where all the buttons are. And how to press them repeatedly.
                            Maybe I'm just over-thinking things - bobbejaan agter die bult and all that.

Comment

So tell about the Inchy moment, Tips? All ears here.

Comment

DreamThinkDo;1597625 wrote: So tell about the Inchy moment, Tips? All ears here.
                                Inchy (you've met her here, haven't you?) used to be the last person still awake at night when all us oldies had gone to bed already. A joke started about her being so bored that she was doing crayon drawings on the walls of the army barracks. JC even started leaving the crayons out for her, if I remember correctly.

Sheesh... Liste to me. You'd swear the Army was a real place. But it is in its own sense, of course.
                                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X