Finally done my first AA meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I was in the wrong place at first as they all looked healthy, someone spotted I was a new face and took me to oneside explained everything then looked after me and gave me there number if I have anymore questions or want to go to another meeting with them how cool is that. I was shocked a second time when I heard alot of them had been sober for years so they must love being part of the fellowship. The third shock was most of them did not like religion or believe in god and the spiritual thing they believed in was the fellowship The point they all made was stick with it. Everything that was said generally soaked in to me and I felt a connection with it slowly over the next few days. So overall I think it was great and I can see how it work in they slowly change all the good thought s on alcohol to bad in that it ruins lives although there were some fynny stories that made everyone laugh. I said to the fella I want to make new friends that dont drink he said you come to the right place then :welcome:
    Its easier not to start than stop

Gmc,
    Glad to hear! What a great feeling that must have been!
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Awesome. I have a 35 year old friend who has been sober for 5 years. Although she is thinking of moving closer to her parents, part of the reason she stays where she is is for her AA fellowship and the sober friends she has connected with. Wonderful that you took the plunge, GMC. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

GMC.....so good to hear. The best place to meet sober people is in a recovery group....who would have thought It is also the best place to meet people who truly understand what you went though and are going through.

As for recovery rates....you really cannot put a measuring stick on this thing. It is what you make of it....just like MWO. Only a small percentage of people stick around MWO and make it work. But, those who do.....find a great life. I think a combination of both really ups the odds of success.

I wish you the best!

Comment

I've been entertaining the idea of going to a meeting to meet some non-drinking people. Currently, it's just you guys and my mother-in-law. Thanks for sharing GMC. How did you pick your particular location? In your neighborhood or the one over. I worry that I'll see someone I know. Can't decide if that matters or not or what it would mean.

Comment

The fella I spoke to stopped drinking to save his marriage and he used the AA to do it. I am still drinking and plan is to stop next week so I chose a meeting in the day closet to me, I wondered also if I would bump into someone I know as I lived in the town all my life, I am sure I will but did not at this one
            I tried giving up on my own a few times but got bored , so I figure it must be easier with somewhere to go and chat for a coupke of hours rather than twiddle my thumbs and maybe pick up some new friends as well, I hear one group also run a motorclub and I have just gained my full licence so thats a result.My advice is try it you having nothing to lose and trust me there not what you think.
            Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

Great news, Gmc!

My own experience was similar... although, I definitely ran into people I knew (very small community here) - and I was quite shocked about a couple of them being there. My first meeting was a '30th birthday' (30 years sober) celebration. Very uplifting, and like you said, funny stories and lots of laughter.

Keep coming back - I'm pretty convinced now (2 months in) that it does work.
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

thanks for your report gmc. I have been thinking about AA recently and you have given a very positive post about your meeting
                Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                Keep passing the open windows

Comment

I went to an AA meeting this morning, but they were locked out of the building (not their fault and in my experience totally unheard of). We went for a coffee instead, I know there's another meeting within a half hour drive this evening so may go there instead.

Unsure what I'll say I'm scared about opening up about my naltrexone recovery years, and some personal stuff (personal as in something very sensitive in my life which some people could be shocked or judgemental about, two people in AA at one time knew about this but one is dead, the other moved away).
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Hey, Gmc, good for you. It must have taken a lot of courage to take that first step - Congratulations!!! :goodjob:

We all find the right path eventually - tricky thing is we've got to put one foot in front of the other, and actually walk the path :H

JMum
                    My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

UK, May be too late with this, and I'm sure you already know it, but you don't have to say anything. A long time ago I belonged to a group where for the first several months I just enjoyed the warmth of the company and spoke very little. You never have to open up about anything you don't want to. The only exception is in your 4th Step. I think that in your relationship with your sponsor you should be open and honest but meetings aren't the place to bare your soul IMO. And there are so many different types of meetings.

You'll know what to say. If it's a Closed meeting where people are invited to share, there's usually a rhythm to the meeting. And it's never wrong to say something like "My name is John and I'm an alcoholic, and I'd just like to listen tonight." Of course, you might feel silly saying your name is John.

As for discussing meds, I would probably get to know the group a little before I brought it up. I have never been part of a group where meds were generally accepted. There are a lot of people quite irrational about the use of any meds in sobriety.

Anyway.....good luck with it.
                      "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

Working...
                      X