Sober January!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober January!

Bear, I totally get what you're saying. It's a process for sure. I think my internal wrestling is over and that I'm very much at peace with the decision not to drink again. It seems for me it took a lot of starts and stops because I don't drink very much -- just have huge problems from even a small amount.

Anyway, I think the more chunks of time we get the more we move toward wanting to be AF -- that there's a cumulative effect.

Here's to hoping that we haven't been given a lifelong sentence of stopping and starting.

UN :lilheart:

Comment

Sober January!

Unwasted;1606777 wrote: It seems for me it took a lot of starts and stops because I don't drink very much -- just have huge problems from even a small amount.
      It's too bad that we convince ourselves that the amounts matter more than effects. On top of that, none of us are all that good at estimating volume. (And I have no idea what a "unit" of ethanol is!) I remember one time I measured 5 ounces and put it in a wine glass - what a shock! That amount was one that used to make me feel like I needed to add a bit more 'to be safe'. Safe from running out, I guess .

When I first came here and discovered the quantities some people consume daily, I again started thinking that maybe I didn't have a problem because even though I liked to keep that glass topped off, I didn't come close to drinking what I read about. BUT - I had found my way to MWO so obviously I was drinking too much for ME. It isn't the amount - it is whether you are controlling alcohol or it is controlling you.

I'm so glad you're ready to be done for good, UN.

Comment

Sober January!

NS, you're so right about how we kid ourselves on the actual amount we're drinking. I'm sure if I had measured, what I called 3 drinks would probably have been 5.

Comment

Sober January!

Bear- can totally relate... I'm scared to death of trying to be AF a whole month. I can usually make 2-3 weeks but then cave... It's important to me to do this.

Sug & UN- I started measuring what I actually drank and was probably drinking twice the amount I thought I was. I have big wine glasses and would pour them pretty full... When I measured 5 oz out I was surprised how little was in my glass.
          And if you feel uncomfortable with your consumption then that's all that matters.. To be honest a couple of drinks still makes me insecure and have anxiety in the morn... Not as bad as when I get drunk but it's still there and I don't like it.

Day 2 for me ... ODAAT

Comment

Sober January!

Way to go, everyone. You can do 30, BKyogagurl.

I know that this time I am successful because I have taken the possibility of a drink out of the equation. It really makes a huge difference. I still need to go ODAAT (as thinking ahead seems depressing and daunting). But here we are already on day 2 of January! Stay strong Januaries!

Comment

Sober January!

just popping in to support you peeps as there are a few faces I know here. im afraid Im not up for joining you this month but I will pop in and give you all a cheer along and support if I can
              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Sober January!

Hi, Januaries!

End of Jan. 2 and all is well. Friday is tomorrow - make sure you have strong plans for remaining alcohol free for the weekend. Eat a lot, and hang out here if you have to. See you tomorrow!

Comment

Sober January!

Hi folks, day 3 and feeling strong and enthusiastic about my 30 days, danger time - weekend - is upon me though so I need to stay strong and not do my usual caving in 'well it is the weekend and I deserve it' speech to myself!!!
                  Taking it ODAT

Comment

Sober January!

I am in!!! Count me in!
                    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Sober January!

halo;1607277 wrote: I am in!!! Count me in!
                      How have you been doing, Halo! Glad to see you are in for January .

Comment

Sober January!

Good Morning All - Day 10 and feeling good. Getting out and about today - beautiful and sunny here.

Comment

Sober January!

Hi all just popping back in to say hi and say words of support. Be good to yourselves this weekend.

Comment

Sober January!

Day 3 :kewl:

Comment

Sober January!

NoSugar;1607281 wrote: How have you been doing, Halo! Glad to see you are in for January .
                              No Sugar, I've been reading but not posting very often, it is so nice to see you around, love reading your positive posts! Have just finished reading Drink by Ann Johston, a very good read that reinforces the need for an AF life. After 5 1/2 months AF time, I have been slipping and sliding since August. I didn't protect my quit , and I am determined to get the month of January under my belt, one day at a time... I want and need to get back to AF living! Here's to a sober January, We can do it everyone!!!:l:l
                              On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Sober January!

I'm in! Day 3

Comment

Working...
                                X