The 5th step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 5th step

Hey everyone. I have a little over thirty days sober and just did my 5th step. I've pretty much had no cravings over the last thirty days, but I would love to go out to the store right now and drown my self-pity in some hard apple cider.

I'm hoping this did a bunch to wrangle my lizard-brain and so I won't bounce between thinking I'm the est guy on the planet and believing I'm a piece of shit.

What changes did all of you who went through this step notice, both immediately and in the long-term? Was this a life-changing step? I was hoping to feel serenity afterwards like it says in the Twelve and Twelve, but surprisingly, talking about how big of a shitball I've been has made me feel like a bit of a shitball
    Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
    George Santayana

The 5th step

Hey Pete,

I cannot comment on the fifth step, as I am nowhere near it yet. But, I'd like to say Kudos for jumping in and working the steps. I'm not sure that the 'reward' is going to be immediate... we didn't 'get' this way overnight... so, our 'undoing' will probably take some time as well

Hang in there, though... and keep coming back!

Btw, there's an AA thread in Monthly Abstinence... I'm sure that some of the regulars there will have more wisdom for you than I have
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

The 5th step

Thanks for the tip and the Kudos, Sunshine. I found that AA thread just now, I guess I just figured if you're not getting sober with pills, then you're getting sober with AA :new:
      Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
      George Santayana

Comment

The 5th step

Hey Pete and Sunshine,

My two cents, neither pills nor As can free you, you need to feel the need inside and convince yourself that you don't drink and will not under any circumstance. As a matter of fact, some family is in town and I actually made bloddy Mary for all of them as they claim its the best, but did not even care to taste....

Vy

Comment

The 5th step

Wow, Vy... that would be difficult for me.
          But, you're absolutely right... the commitment has to come from within.
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

The 5th step

Completely agree sunshine, especially when I quit I realize what a fool I have been. I was afraid to quit for withdrawals, and when I quit cold turkey, I faced none....we need to step outside our fears to understand we are not that weak, its just a chemical which can be controlled.

Comment

The 5th step

Yes, we are in charge of our lives now, not alcohol. I have no desire to drink anymore. Through the holidays others had wine with dinners, but I was perfectly content with af beverages. I kept remembering years past when my alkie brain kept saying MORE. I'm done with that.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

The 5th step

Exactly my story for this holiday season sunbeam

Vy

Comment

Working...
                X