Sliding off of Topamax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliding off of Topamax

I'm heading into my 10th week of the program and its been great!! The TOPA DOPA has been a struggle but no pain no gain I guess. I've been bouncing around the question boards looking for how to dosage down on the Topamax but can't find anything. Anyone out there have any information??

Sliding off of Topamax

: )

Good for you!
    What dose are you at?
    Are you abs or mod?
    Are you planning to be abs or mod once you are off topa?
    Did you lose weight?
    (damm I'm nosey)

I'm only on the 4th week. I dont know how to dose down but I would think just gradually.
    I am anxious to see the answer from the pro's here.

Big Congrats to you!!!!!! gabby

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Dosing down

No probmendo Gabby thats why we're all here right?
      I'm at 300mg. Been doing 3 martinis a night just on the weekends. sometimes don't finish the last one. Its been my drink of choice for 25 years..........may switch to something else. Was born and raised in a bar in Milwaukee Wis. and never acquired a taste for beer......do you believe that!!!!!! Would like to do the mod routine if at possible. If craving comes back I'l kick in the Topa again to a small degree. Thats what my Doc advises. He's been great. As far weight not a single ounce!!!!! Which really disappoints me. I was hoping to lose about 20 lbs. How about you? Program working?? Are you mod?

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Re: Dosing down

I had no choice but to dose down on my Topa...I had ordered it offshore, was up to 75mg, then ordered another batch, but went down to 25 mg a day...that was about two weeks ago, still waiting for my second batch. ( I won't be that stupid again to wait for so long before I reorder... )
        I just noticed the Dopa effect went away, but my cravings are back up. still haven't gotten drunk and blacked out but am up to about 3 drinks of bourbon a night...am trying extra kudzu and L-glut...but really think it's the Topa that is/was helping me out...I would suggest just dosing down, as you did dosing up. Dose down 25 mg per week.
        Hope this info was helpful!

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

I went off of topa cold turkey this last week...was dosing up just like the book says and was starting the week of 200 mg (from 150) and got completely turned upside down at the grocery store...didnt know where i was and couldnt remember what i was buying...it was bad...could barely walk. I thought I was having a stroke or something. It scared me so bad I quit taking it the next day. Nothing bad about not taking it....still think it might still be in my blood stream (not sure) using kudzu and the l glut instead -increasing that....so far has worked with cravings...still havent been able to quit drink entirely. ...am drinking about 1-2 drinks of wine (sometimes a gin and tonic) a night...once a week maybe three drinks...down from about 2-5drinks a night.. (some progress there) was on topa for about one month. lost 10 pounds...keeping the weight off...but can't take the dopa anymore...kept forgetting what i was saying in the middle of sentences after about 100mg strenght and it just got progressively worse for me. hope i can keep the drinking in check.

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

ive been taking 300mg . today i dropped down to 200 mg i didnt notice any differance , im going to take 200mg tommorow so i will let you know the out come .
            phil

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

scary

I just started topa, am only up to 50 mg, was thinking of jumping to 100, but now am scared to, am breaking the tablets, but just read today not to!! WOW, I feel like I am breaking all the rules, should be REALLY sick or something!! BUT it has worked from day 1!! I decided I could handle the sh*tty taste of beer, just wouldn't want many of them, and it does work, to a certain extent, but you know what they say, "after a few they all taste the same!" It is true, even on topa.............

What should I do?? I am AF today, yesterday and maybe tomorrow, but want to mod over the weekend as I did last weekend.

Any advice!?

Mary Anne:

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

maryanne

Mary Anne,
                I know your anxious and all but I would just stay on the 50 for a week, or at least 5 days. It will go faster then you think. I know your goal is Mods, but see if you can go AF just for a few days. Mostly dont dose up to fast. That way if you are gonna have side effects your in more control. That is sad what happened to notaloser. I think its not often but just goes to show ya why ya need to stay slow like she did. Just think if she went fas what could have happened.
                Im at 150mg but dont notice much difference then 100 as far as less craving.In fact I have had a few days that beer has been soundin good. But still havent drank. On day 30 today. (yeahhhh) But do notice an increased topa dopa thing. For example cant think how to spell some words. (Deirdre wont have to worry about my dating if I dont have a brain) takeing me longer to post I've noticed. I think I will just do the 100 or 125 at the most. Defintally wont dose up any higher than this.
                It is good to be cautious but dont worry. I would follow the directions tho to be safer. (do I sound like a mother?)
                Gabby

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Re: maryanne

You can't break the tablets??? Crap! I've been doing that! Bought a pill splitter and everything! Actually, I've been on 100 for a while now, 50 and 50, but when I was doing 75mg, I was cutting one 50mg tab in half every day.
                  GReeeeeeeeeaaaattt. Gonna die now, or what???
                  Becca

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Ya, usually if a tablet isnt scored that means the manufacture doesnt recommend that it be cut. I think. I dont know why. Maybe cuz the stuff inside isnt evenly distributed or somethin.....just a guess. :
                    Ask a pharmacist.
                    gabby

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

It just said that on one of the websites I went onto after reading the post about all the side effects.joint pain etc.........I am glad you all are still alive, cuz I intended on doing that to get to the 100 mg dose.........will do it slowly "mom"!! I told them on the phone (the lifhaus pharmacy). No noticeable side effects yet, except anxiety (which I get from EVERYTHING!!!) :

thanks for all the feed back!!!

Mary Anne

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

I wonder why that posted twice on me. It told me it didnt work so i had to do the whole thing again and then both were there. sheese. messin with me again. yu can tell the second one got shorter. hehe gabby

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Re: topa sliding

hey, i didn't mean to scare anyone with my topa dopa story at the grocery store...it could have been a combo of things...but I just had to quit...too much cognitive delay for me all the way around...but up until i passed 100 it was great. i would be willing to start again if the supps dont do it for me...my advice would be to go slow and follow the book...millie

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

stayin at 50

I'll stay at 50mg for a week then kick it to 75 on Mon...........then 100, maybe I'll stay there for a while?? We'lll see!! You guys are so helpful!1 :h

Mary Anne

(not scared anymore!:happy )

Comment

Sliding off of Topamax

Re: stayin at 50

Goodie, Have a nice weekend Mary Anne. :d Gabby

Comment

Working...
                              X