The Golden Girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golden Girls

Yikes! I just typed a long post but lost it because I wasn't signed in. And it was so brilliant!
    Oh, well, I'm here and will recompose later.
    Chicarosa

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hi Ladies. Today I put on a really cool pair of jeans that I have not worn for a year. I gotta tell ya that I look pretty good in these babies!!!

But I could only put them on because I felt really good today. Anyone else have problems dressing or putting on make-up, or doing nice things for yourself when you are down?

Want to talk about stuff like this here? Like body-image? Or dieting compulsion? Or feeling old and ugly? Or having problems finding age-appropriate clothes? Not wanting to dress like a teen-ager?

JMum
      My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

The Golden Girls

Could write a book! Good topics JM! More tomorrow when at my keyboard. Vs kindle.
        "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
        ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hi all. I don't want this thread to wander into oblivion - page 2 or more. I think it's valuable, so let's keep it going. I just had to weigh in on the menopause thing. Yes - I went though terrible mood swings, and night sweats, and hot flashes. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I thought it was drinking (which certainly didn't help), but one day my girlfriend said, "wow - sounds like you are going through menopause." Light bulb moment. I started taking Remifemin, which is OTC in the States but I believe requires a prescription elsewhere. Anyway it really helped. Just wanted to throw that out there. Nice to see so many fellow travelers on this path to sobriety. Hugs to you all.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

The Golden Girls

Thanks for reviving MossRose!! I forgot to post the next day as I said I would.. And, once again I am not able to give a full post.. But will - tomorrow - I hope!
            "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
            ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

The Golden Girls

Thanks for reviving MossRose!! I forgot to post the next day as I said I would.. And, once again I am not able to give a full post.. But will - tomorrow - I hope!
              ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hi Ladies. Yes it's hard to keep threads going because we are all posting here and there and everywhere. I try to post to give others a 'hello' and sometimes in my own progress thread. But sometimes I just don't feel like it!!

Anyway, I want advise on wardrobe. I find it hard to buy clothes appropriate for my age - it seems most of the stores cater to girls and not for real women. I can't afford to shop in nice stores so end up at the second hand places. I try to dress modestly and not like a street walker but it sure is hard!!

Another problem I have is that I'm very slim everywhere except my middle. When I get stuff to fit the middle they are too big in the butt and legs!!! What do you all wear?
                My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hi all GGs!
                  It is hard to find the time and the words to post on a number of different threads, or to even remember to check them! However that is the first thing all the senior successful participates tell us to do read and post. Honestly I forgot this thread existed and then I forgot where it was!
                  Jazi's Mum, I often don't have a clue what to wear to look age appropriate. Besides firming up everywhere my big new goal is my tummy. I recently got a 30 day gym membership at a ridiculously low price and I am going to start tomorrow. I figure if I can go three times a week it will be worth it.
                  I usually wear jeans, thank god they are now making mid-rise, because I do childcare and am mostly on the floor playing games or changing diapers. I also have a multitude of plain t-shirts that I pair with a sweater. The t-shirts are always getting small holes in the area of the waistband and so I throw them away as I don't think they are very professional looking. It is rare that I need to dress up and even less the last two week as we have been staying home. I feel like I dress very drab. I do however keep my hair cut every two weeks and color it. Many of the women who live where I do let their hair turn completely gray and have it very long. I'm glad it works for them but the gray is just a constant reminder of how old I am!
                  If anyone has figured out clothes that work for them that are comfortable and professional I would love to hear about it. When I was growing up my mom wore a completely different style then a 20 year might. Now I think the gap is much smaller and we all tend to look similar.

Comment

The Golden Girls

Most of my clothes come from Lands End, or less often Coldwater Creek. I have outlets near me for both of these, making it affordable. Coldwater Creek is more stylish, definitely targeted at our age group. Lands End is more traditional.

When I go to the mall I just see overpriced, poor quality merchandise, so I don't shop there any more.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hello ladies,
                      Nice to see all the gals who are around the same age..I am 59 for now and feel like I am falling apart. AF since Sept 1,2013 and that part is good but seems like I have had other things pop up. Docs just want to throw pills at me and that is NOT what I want....I have crossed over too and I live it...had night sweats for a while and hot flashed but not sure if that was the wine or meno...anyway I am glad to find a group of like minded and closer in age to chat with.
                      Here's to a good group!!
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hey - I'm another Golden Girl. I'm 55. This is a great thread!!! Thanks............
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

The Golden Girls

I did want to make a comment.....I know someone that is almost 50....she is beautiful but she dresses like a woman in her twenties. Short skirts, etc. Yes - she looks beautiful but the truth is that she looks so much better when she wears the more age appropriate clothes. I have wondered if I think this because I am overweight, etc. But, truly I just think there is a time when you need to change your mindset and dress more appropriately. There are still beautiful clothes to wear even though they don't show everything.
                          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

The Golden Girls

New Here and thanks for this thread!

Hello everyone! I am 58, drinking since 17. When I turned 50 I knew I was drinking too much wine..read some books and literally one morning in the shower decided I would not drink again. And I didn't for 2 years and 10 months! Then on a trip with my husband we went into a brewery and while wine is my drink of choice I also love really good beer. One beer began the downward spiral and for a while it was only beer. Then came the wine and nightly I drink a bottle of it. Decisions are made in stages and I've been in the contemplation stage for months wanting to quit. So armed with some amino acids today will be my first sober day in a while. I can only share that being sober for almost 3 years gave me a false sense of hope that I could just do it again the same way...NOT! as I am more addicted now than before. I just finished reading Her Best Kept Secret and also Heart of Addiction. I have hidden my problem very well from friends. I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who will have a drink when we go out but won't keep any at home for my benefit. I look forward to giving and receiving support from all of us on this thread!

Comment

The Golden Girls

Hello! So happy to see this thread at a time when I could really use it. I am 54 and I am not thrilled with what's happening at this stage of life to my my mind, especially my memory -it is shot, and my body. Drinking is definitely not helping. It is so difficult to hang in there, especially around day 4 or 5 AF. When I fall off it's usually pretty hard. My world gets fairly lonely when I try to abstain, everyone close: husband, colleagues, friends- drinks all the time. I can't keep up like this anymore. Meetings have not worked out for me at all. Thanks for being here

Comment

The Golden Girls

For those who forget what threads they are participating in, you can turn on your subscription in your profile so that you can keep track.

Go into User CP
                                Settings and Options
                                Edit Options
                                Change this area to: No email notifications (unless you want email notifications)
                                Default Thread Subscription Mode
                                When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
                                Default Thread Subscription Mode:
                                Then, to see if there are any new posts in the thread, click on User CP.. If they don?t show, click on ?all subscribed threads?.

Now, JM ? what do I wear? Keep in mind I am very heavy.. 100+ lbs overweight. I wear jeans or capri?s and various layers on top depending on the season. For the first time in all my years, I have been introduced to resale stores, and I am finding the BEST items!! I look for good quality name brands, and seem to always find something! I try to wear matching scarves (all the rage now) and faux jewelry to enhance the look. Believe me, I used to really care about the finished product, but am fighting these days to care. 20 years ago I would spend 30 minutes on just my make-up (insane!), and now 5 minutes on a typical day and 15 minutes if a special occasion. I am trying to care.. it is so important in the fight for self-love and self-acceptance. I have my hair colored, and must admit it?s a beautiful red/auburn hue with golden highlights. It?s various variations of a shorter style depending on my mood every 7 weeks or so. My hairdresser is wonderful! I am thinking about going back to the nail salon every two weeks for those acrylic nails.. quite a commitment though.. but, I always felt so good having nice nails. Always a nice pedicure when it?s sandal season. Since I am basically retired I no longer need to look professional very often. If I do, I substitute the jeans with a pair of black dress pants and some fashion boots instead of the regular black New Balance shoes with my orthotics.. (what a flat-footed nerd!!). I have a fancy occasion about once every ten years, and I?ll deal with the next one when it comes.. LOL

Welcome to the new posters Dottie, Hammer, Nora.. sorry if I left anyone out.. ?

The BEST thing about being a golden age is no TOM!!! YAHOO!

Uncorked ? honored to have your first post on this thread!! Welcome!! Uncorked and Hammer - You will want to join in on the Newbies or just starting out threads.. very active and you?ll get a lot of support from the non-Golden girls, too!

Personally, I have ordered meds to help with the moderating. I am a work in progress, reading books and trying to figure out why I do what I do. I?ll look forward to taking the journey with all of you!

Love and hugs to all the GG's!!
                                ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X