Movie 'The Swimmer'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Excuse a Kiwi for just catching up on this 1968 movie, 'The Swimmer' and also only just reading the short story.
    I really enjoyed the movie - it has a lot of AL in it - liquids (AL and swimming pools) are heavily symbolic for how the main character Ned (Burt Lancaster) goes through his gilded suburban life. Its about his decline - and symbolic for the mess of the American dream - but it will have resonance for many of us here. See reviews at:

The Swimmer - Rotten Tomatoes

or read John Cheever's original short story at:
    http://202.121.96.130/Download/20091...4640623434.pdf

Cheever was himself an alcoholic who managed to quit after rehab.

Great movie - beautiful images of the retro 1960s kind (footage that could be the original Mad Men) - Burt Lancaster is amazing (and he is not my favourite actor) - movie is not to everyone's taste. It was a box office flop at the time I think.
    Probably not a movie to watch if clinking glasses set off cravings but definitely lots to think about in it regarding AL in 'civilized society'.

Movie 'The Swimmer'

treetops;1612934 wrote: Excuse a Kiwi for just catching up on this 1968 movie
    Oh TT, thanks for that laugh!:H:H:H:H:H:H

And for the links too
    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Thanks TT.

I recall the movie as being a little surreal also. Burt is amazing in the movie to be sure.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

I remember watching this movie a very long time ago but I didn't get what is was all about. It is quite surreal and the way it ended was unexpected.

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

have to check it out...I am a movie addict now!!
          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Mama- Burt Lancaster was c 58 years when he was in it. Not many men (or women!) have bodies looking that good at his age.
            Note in the movie how his physical - as well as mental condition deteriorates as the journey goes on.

It also symbolises how alkies live a lie and are in denial - all looking good on the outside - while its all breaking down inside. Again, Cheever was also referring to the American suburban dream.

It does have some humorous and ironic moments - especially when he meets up with his rich neighbours who are nudists!

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Thanks Tree will download it on the weekend. 1968, well you are nearly up to Aus land, we are in the 70's now! Degrees i think today!
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Lots of rain here today. Pity we can't export it to you guys.

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Just an FYI. I googled the movie on youtube and you can see the entire movie for free there.

Comment

Movie 'The Swimmer'

Thanks Peace.
                    Unfortunately we can not access this version in my country (NZ) . Not all YouTube movies are available here.

Comment

Working...
                    X