Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to decide if meds are right for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi friends! I've been a participant here for the last few weeks. I am trying to decide whether I need meds. I don't like taking something brain altering if I don't really have to. I take no meds at all except thyroid replacement and something for my sinus allergies. Here's my brief story. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the first time I've tried to moderate my drinking - ever. I am 57 with a drinking problem for mostly the last 28 yrs. I abused it when younger, but wasn't a daily drinker.

DH has a huge problem with AL and is my primary emotional trigger.

On day 15 of an AF *30* my emotional trigger landed me back to some drinking and excess food for the last 3 days, with a promise to start again on Monday. Not binging or drunkenness, but I did not keep my commitment to myself.

I did not have any physical cravings or withdrawal symptoms. I missed the social aspect and the escape of AL, but didn't have a craving until a trigger came along. I got past several trigger situations, but caved the other day and am continuing through the weekend with a Monday restart.

My ultimate goal is to moderate AL and lose 100 lbs.

I know that Antabuse is not for me, and Bac isn't for me. I'm thinking either Topamax or Nal using the sinclair method. I'm thinking Nal/TSM for DH. I want to order some from River pharmacy for him, and I thought as long as I'm ordering I'd order for me, too.

Thanks for any input!
    "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
    ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Dip, i have a question for you....this may help you decide.
    Would you consider yourself an Alcoholic?
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I have a problem and an emotional attachment... but,no I don't consider myself an alcoholic. Close maybe and trying to avoid that. Thanks for trying to help Byrdie!
      "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
      ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

Why are you NOT an Alcoholic? What trait or behavior is the differentiator?
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

hi dipgal, im in the early stages of nal/tsm. in the past I went 3 months sober back in 2010 but since then have been wandering pretty aimlessly with my al issues. For me, just the fact I am trying something new is giving me some energy as I feel I am at least moving forward/taking steps/ just not repeating the same old behaviour which was getting me no-where.
          There are a few of us in the meds section on nal/tsm although most people there are using baclofen. Again, for me the appeal of nal/tsm was that I only took it when I was going to drink so I wasn't continually taking a drug (im drinking mostly once a week). Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. If you are interested it would be worth spending some time reading up about all the possibilities and perhaps asking for advice in the meds section. wishing you strength on whichever path you take to deal with your problems
          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Good point spuddle..if I am moderating and drinking just a couple of times a week, I won't be filling myself with meds daily and on an increasing level. Thanx!!
            ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

Decision made! The Sinclair Method for both DH and I. Am trying to order Nal on the River Pharmacy site, but they have to call me to get my credit card #. I really wanted to get this behind me today so that I can feel better about taking a very major action step. Update - Debbie from River just called - website troubles.. she said she is an addiction coach. What a sweet gal!! Order placed!

Byrdie, I was reading the TSM book and it defined alcoholism very simply. "difficulty in abstaining from alcohol". So, I guess by that definition I would be an alcoholic. It's not impossible for me, but it can be difficult.

I feel relieved that I have made a decision. Taking action always helps my mood.

Thanks Spuddle and Byrdie for your input!
              ~John Lennon

~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
              X