RIP Phyllip Seymore Hoffman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another life lost tragically to drugs. It's so sad. He was so talented and had 3 really cute children. It just goes to show that addiction is an equal opportunity killer. Fame and money didn't help erase whatever pain in his life he was trying to mask. Heroin, cocaine, crack, alcohol... It's all the same, used for the same reasons. Awful.

Very sad,a horrible way to die
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

so stunned by this news
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

He is a local in my area. A very sad day. So much talent lost to addiction.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Like so many others......if you can't conquer your addictions, they will conquer you. RIP P H Hoffman.
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

RIP
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Yes, another loss. We only heard about him because he's "famous". I wonder how many other OD's there were yesterday?

I may be naive, but does heroin kill you SO fast that you can't even take the needle out of your arm? Wow.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

he had five empty bags next to his body, so I am assuming he shot up a lot and fast....but I have no idea
                sounds to me like he wanted to die, and maybe so since he had been sober for over 20 years and relapsed so horribly

Comment

K9.....you asked who else died from a drug over dose. Well a good friend of my oldest son did. Tony jr. is getting ready to go to his friend's viewing. Tomorrow the funeral. Your right he's not famous, just another unfortunate statistic. So sad......Tony
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

So sorry Tony :l
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

oh no Tony....so sorry

Comment

Here I Am - thanks to you. RIP Mr. Hoffman.

Hi, I am new here and this is my very first post on this site - I know I should start in the "new" forums but Mr. Hoffman's OD prompted me to join (instead of just lurking)...I was surprised by how emotional his death made me. Then I realized I was emotional for a few reasons:

1. No amount of success or accomplishment can protect you from addiction - you have to work at it. In my case, MWO is part of my "work";

2. Relapse is real (I think that was the scariest part and why I am finally here). I am almost a month into my program to abstain for at least one year and hearing that he relapsed after 20yrs put a big damper on my "early sobriety" party. Then that damper turned into a wake up call and I joined MWO today;

3. I wondered what he could have accomplished if he was able to kick the habit, if he were able to work with himself rather than against. He wasn't just famous, he was pretty brilliant. What else could he have accomplished? What else can we all accomplish?

Anyway, thanks for listening - I am going to jump in on the newbie forums. Just wanted to pipe in and pay my respects to the soldiers lost in battle (famous and not famous).

Although Mr. Hoffman's OD is high profile, while many unknown folks are tragically lost without fanfare to OD, maybe his case will motivate more people to seek some help. I know it definitely did that for me.

(here I am)

:new: :thanks:

Comment

Thanks for your post, hanoj. It is good to know that this sad event created something good, for you and I hope some others.

Welcome to this forum.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Addiction of any kind is a war one has to fight all their lives ! Though you have won a few battles.....the war still goes on. Five, ten.....even twenty years....their is no time limit. It's a progressive disease it will start right where you left off, when you last partook of the substance. Be vigilant, keep your fight all your life. Tony
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hanoj, great post. Sums it up all up so well.

Comment

Working...
                              X