One Year Sober Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Year Sober Today

On February 4, 2013, I was fresh off of a weekend of heavy drinking. I had a fight with my husband, went to a party and drank 2 bottles of wine by myself in one night (Friday night). Husband and I made up on Saturday and had a few drinks together that night. Sunday was the Super Bowl, which meant more drinks (probably 4 or 5 beers). This was on top of my "usual" drink habits from earlier in the month - a couple of glasses of wine, or a bottle of wine in one night, once or twice.

On Monday, February 4, I realized that my period was a day or so late. I took a pregnancy test, just to ease my worrying, and to my shock, the test result was positive.

I have been completely sober ever since. It has not been easy. I had a really hard time coping with the guilt over what my drinking may have done/could have done to my baby. My baby had an issue with her umbilical cord (not related to the drinking), so we induced labor a month early. She is now a happy, thriving 4 month old, who was born at a healthy weight and is the sweetest, happiest baby I've ever known.

There have been times when sobriety has not been easy. Like when I was out of town for work and had a hotel room, by myself, for a few days, a nice room with a full wet bar and two large bottles of wine, just sitting there.

I did not join AA, despite wanting to a few times, so this forum is pretty much the only place where I can celebrate this year.

I hope everyone is doing well! I especially appreciate the women who were willing to talk to me about their stories about sobriety, pregnancy and motherhood, especially in the beginning. As you can see from reading my posts, I seriously contemplated getting an abortion because I thought there was no way that my baby would not have fetal alcohol birth defects from the sheer amount of alcohol I had in those first few weeks of pregnancy. (I was right at the third week after conception when I found out I was pregnant and stopped drinking.) I am so glad that I had faith in my daughter, in my doctors, and in myself.

Here's to many more sober years!

One Year Sober Today

You have had quite a year!! Congratulations for knowing what you had to do and doing it. And congratulations on your baby girl!

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Em - your post that really makes me feel happy. You have a beautiful lovely baby and you have also managed to stay AF. I know this was not easy for you and you really had a lot of soul searching to do.urgirl:

I hope you stay strong and enjoy the years ahead with your child and your partner.

Please feel free to join us in the daily abstinence thread - we have a lot of fun and try to just get on with life - but we also have our challenges too. Plus some of us there have lots of experience at bringing up girls!

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Congratulations! That is a wonderful story.

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Let me shake yr hand...well done you! You should be very very proud. Im so happy for you. Bella xx

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Congratulations on one year AF and a new baby girl!! Life is good!

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Well then, at one year AF, I have a little somethin somethin for the guests....way to go. Stay strong

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2269092=7680-attachment.jpg[/img]
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Hi Em! I remember you well and your thoughts/fears about drinking early on in pregnancy. I am SO happy that everything turned out. And a HUGE congratulations on one year sober!!! You are so very fortunate to have gotten sober at this stage. Now your beautiful little girl can have the mommy she deserves, and you can enjoy every stage of her life. Please stay around and keep us updated! I am so very proud of you!
                K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Double congratulations to you Em Fantastic news!

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Congratulations! What a fantastic update!

Best to you and your family!
                    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

One Year Sober Today

What a happy post!!
                      Me so happy!!
                      Keep it up!!
                      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

One Year Sober Today

It's unbelievable milestone, isn't it? I hope your new life is filled with more joy and few regrets.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Hi Em,
                          Congratulations on your year and your beautiful 4 month old! Enjoy every minute with her!
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Wow! I just happened across your first post. After that I had to look and see what the final result was. I'm so happy for you. I had an almost identical experience, but chose to abort. It just adds to the guilt and shame. I'm so glad you have a healthy child now. She's probably amazing.

Comment

One Year Sober Today

Happy anniversary to you!
                              Sobriety and healthy: what a great gift you gave to your new baby!

Congratulations :hug:

Patty
                              "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                              so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                              :hug:

Comment

Working...
                              X