Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody here learn or play a musical instrument?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you play, Alky? I imagine you're a clarinettist who also plays sax.

Comment

DG, my major instrument in college was oboe. I still do a fair amount of orchestra work playing oboe and English horn, but I can get around decently on sax and clarinet. I turn down a lot of show work, though, because I don't own a sax (why take away the work from someone who has made that investment), and I can't play flute worth a crap (my mouth just doesn't work that way). And the bassoon, ugggh, that is the devil's instrument
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

guitar, fiddle, and banjo (a little mandolin, very little). Jack of all trades, master of none!

just rented a cello to mess with, very fun!
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Alky;1627728 wrote: DG, my major instrument in college was oboe. I still do a fair amount of orchestra work playing oboe and English horn, but I can get around decently on sax and clarinet. I turn down a lot of show work, though, because I don't own a sax (why take away the work from someone who has made that investment), and I can't play flute worth a crap (my mouth just doesn't work that way). And the bassoon, ugggh, that is the devil's instrument
          Well, wasn't I just completely wrong! I like the English horn a lot - just like I like the viola better than the violin.

Any mediaevalist in you? (Shawm? Crumhorn?)

Comment

Bass player for 5 years, it's my true love and obsession

Comment

Chief Bromden;1627696 wrote: Last November, I bought a second hand baby grand piano with the money I had virtually "saved" from quitting. This after already playing guitar for almost 40 years now, and drums, bass etc.

Having a shiny black 1967 Yamaha G5 in our main room beats having 611 empty whisky bottles lying around.

It almost sounds like a clich?, but it was my way of celebrating.
              Well, good on you Chief!
              One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

I was in the band for 6 years in high school and the orchestra - played flute. I would love to find it (I think it's at my sister's house) and relearn. Something to think about! I always loved to play.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

We should start the MWO BAND!
                  I think it would be sensational.

I'm in for the guitar and the piano and I have a fairly decent set of pipes but compared to my kids...I'm a complete amateur !
                  :l
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Drummer boy
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Nelz;1628324 wrote: Drummer boy
                      Can i be assistant drummer girl?
                      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

j-vo;1628253 wrote: I was in the band for 6 years in high school and the orchestra - played flute. I would love to find it (I think it's at my sister's house) and relearn. Something to think about! I always loved to play.
                        Yes, you could j-vo, or start something completely new?

Comment

great ask . as im sure a lot of us here are musical.. me im a guitarist.. not classical but yes I play guitar..... mr g is also a guitar player... thanks for asking
                          Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                          Keep passing the open windows

Comment

also have a violin and can just about play fiddle.... and can do penny whistle and also play beats it anyone wants
                            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

DancingGirl;1627751 wrote: Well, wasn't I just completely wrong! I like the English horn a lot - just like I like the viola better than the violin.

Any mediaevalist in you? (Shawm? Crumhorn?)
                              Hi DG, I played both in the early music ensemble at my graduate school but I haven't played those instruments in a very long time since I don't own any of my own. Also, as I recall, they're not exactly ergonomic and were very hard on the hands. Don't know how well I would do with them at my age now.
                              In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

I play bass guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X