MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

Use every tool that is accessible to you.
    Groups, one on one, AA, books, hypno, supplements, meditation, chanting, exercise, WHATEVER you can pull out of the hat!!
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

Sunbeam;1632415 wrote: When you start or restart posting here, it is typical to feel embarrassed that you can't just DO this, you want to but don't know how. Been there, done that, it took me several years of posting here to finally quit for good. PM me and I will reply. But the best support comes from groups. No one individual can possibly be as supportive as a group. Newbies Nest is great, One Step at a Time is very supportive also. Visit the Tool Box often for inspiration and to find new ideas to try. Never give up.
      Amen to this. It's the group support that makes us strong!
      When I had my first business meeting after only a few weeks AF, I had Lav's email in my phone...and that made me feel like I had the Silver Bullet (NOT the beer!). So participate and join in to the conversation, but if you can make a connection for emergencies in the process, mission accomplished!
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

This is a great thread... I have been lurking since yesterday - and it has helped. It was the first place I came today... I am a newbie, yet NOT new to MWO (check out my join date :egad:!) I have been gone from this sight for a long time and wonder why I ever left... I need it... This thread was a great landing spot on my return...

Sunbeam - I just read your sobriety tool list ... WOW... and thank you! I will read it often...
        God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

SpiritGirl, I'm glad you checked out that list, it was a lifesaver for me. It gave me homework to complete that enabled me to repeatedly renew my vow to not drink. In weaker moments just taking out and re-reading my personal version helped me gain strength. Maybe you do need to be seriously ready to quit, or the list is overwhelming. But just keep taking steps, and these are steps that have worked for others. We joined the same year, have probably conversed before, but all the people mostly blur together for me except for a few I could count on one or two hands.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

SoberSoul aka Tipplerette, you always reminded me of myself. I would post here and read the sad stories, and become convinced that I didn't need to quit, I didn't drink THAT much. But the truth is, my drinking did keep me from doing much that I wanted to do. I am much happier now, life is under my control. I have a great life, why did I mess it up with alcohol?
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

Sunbeam - thanks for noticing our similar join dates... I hadn't noticed that, but now that you pointed it out, it gives me more hope... I feel like such a loser for my continued struggle after all these and years, and have just about given up on me...I see that it took you some time too, so maybe I am not a lost cause... I will indeed refer to your list and adapt it to work for me... Thanks again!!

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

If you guys saw my join date as Tipplerette, you feel like newbies LOL. I guess it takes some of us a while to get it. I think being a person who drinks less might be a disadvantage here as there are no horror shows or hitting rock bottom to jump start our reality check.

I guess I have a week now but it seems anti-climatic with all the starts and stops I've had. I have spent the past 48 hours with my mother who is experiencing a dry drunk since the doctor ordered her to stop drinking and she really still does not get it. Alcohol can really mess up one's perspective. It's really good for me to be here to see what a shell of a human being one can become from years of abuse and denial.
                Lao-Tzu

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

Well I guess there are several old "newbies", and although I don't find joy in knowing that others have been struggling as long as me, I do find comfort being among people who can relate and not judge - and who are willing to keep trying no matter how many years it takes....

Sobersoul, a week is great! Its much better than a week in the bottle.... I am on Day 2 and am enjoying a clear head this morning... Lets keep it going...:thumbsup

Comment

MENTOR A NEWBIE ...

I am holding your hand, Spirit Girl you too Sunbeam and the rest of you. We can do this. We've all racked up days and weeks of sobriety before and we can do it again.

What's the point of continuously coming to this thread if we don't eventually become the mentors we ourselves seek. It's up to us to take from others for a time and eventually climb up to the respectable position of helping others to join us at the top of the mountain of sobriety. Ain't I a poet.
                    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                    X