Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's OVER VINNY!

Dear Vinny

It is with little regret that I wish to tell you that after many years of good times and bad with you at my side, I am breaking off our long term relationship permanently.

I have known for some time that it was coming to this but, being a sensitive, people pleaser with no confidence in my likeability, I have never followed up on my plans to escape your clutches.

It didn?t start out like this. As a late bloomer, I was happy to be introduced to you and was initially wooed by the confidence being with you gave me. With you I felt stronger, funnier, less sensitive and more relaxed. The honeymoon lasted a while during which I coped with some family trauma with you in hand to numb the pain I was experiencing. I appreciated you back then.

As time went on I began realizing that, although together we were quite the entertaining team, when left alone, I was able to think a little clearer, be a better listener and take the time to nurture my own interests and passions. We spent some time apart off and on and I was always better off without you. Occasionally, I would yearn for your craziness and devil-may-care attitude, but what I got accomplished without you seemed to compensate for your absence.

Inevitably, you would ease your way back into my life in a harmless, kinda cute way; teasing me with your provocative hue and clad in your sexy stemware. Being a softy, I usually forgot the limitations you placed on my life and off we?d go together, wandering sloppily and aimlessly together, giggling over nothing, not really caring about anything. The little burns and bruises I somehow ended up with during our antics were forgotten easily and even joked about.

And so it continued, year after year. Memories of the sweet, sober time spent without you urging me towards another break-up and up until now, my passive complacency and your aggressive, seemingly harmless tactics creating yet another make-up session. You never caused me to hurt anyone more than I hurt myself. But each time we reconnected, a piece of me died.

To tell you the truth, lately, you are reminding me too much of my crude, old step-father ?Bud Light?. He?s the old bastard my mother?s been with for the past 50 years or more. She is now a bitter old lady and even though Ole Bud has just about crippled her with the burden of his demands, she still loves him more than her own kids, grandkids and life itself. I really don?t want to end up like her; at the end of my life with nothing to show for it but a family who visits me out of a sense of duty, no relationship with my grandkids or kids and nothing of any spiritual, emotional, physical or societal value ever being pondered, let alone accomplished.

It?s really over, no more second chances. You demand too much of my time, energy and peace of mind. You can?t say I never gave us a chance; it?s going on fifteen years and nothing has changed; only gotten more discouraging.

I will be ignoring your calls, throwing your sexy stemware to the curb and no, you can?t sleep in my home, share my table or even sneak over for a quickie.
    So, pack your bags Vinny. It?s over.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

It's OVER VINNY!

YOU GO SOBER !!
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Well done SS , great work
      Still trying !!!
      AF 25th June2014

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

I LOVE your writing, Sober! You have put the experience into perfect words...no more tongue tied!

Keep a baseball bat by the door...That's only thing Vinny 'really' understands! :l:h
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Never go back to an ex, that's my moto.
          good work.
          AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Kradle123;1632651 wrote: I LOVE your writing, Sober! You have put the experience into perfect words...no more tongue tied!

Keep a baseball bat by the door...That's only thing Vinny 'really' understands! :l:h
            I burst out laughing with the idea of a baseball bat... I know I'm gonna need it though. That swaggering, manipulative creep was tapping at the door already this evening when I was putting dinner on. I through a cup of acid in his face so he's not quite as cute as he was. That'll teach him.
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

So long, farewell. See you later NOT! Great letter ending this relationship for good.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

SS i loved your post, so well written and so true. I had to end my relationship with al before he took what i held dearest off me, my children, and he was starting to come between us so in reality the choice was easy, the following through was hard. With bitter determination al is no longer part of my life but my children are more so as each sober day arrives.

Be prepared for mourning your ex, i relate to kicking al out to a death in the family. I experienced the grief, the anger, the sorrow, the hurt, the "i will never see you again", the "i miss you so much" but to me al is dead and buried and just a memory to carry with me. Not good memories i must say at the end.

As each day passes it becomes easier, stay strong and dont let al into your life SS, you will be much happier without him.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

What a great letter to a no-longer wanted friend. You made some really great points. The final letter that I wrote to my FireWater friend included a thank you. I truly was thankful that he pulled me through some very tough times. I was thankful that he helped teach me about humility and humbleness. He taught me how great life was without him being apart thereof.

I really enjoyed reading your letter.

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Love this post!

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Thanks to all for the comments. I really didn't have the trauma associated with getting hammered that many experience. I guess that's why it took me so long to come to terms with the fact that I need to say goodbye in order to live out the rest of my life in a meaningful way.

I like the analogy of the death of a pain in the ass, yet entertaining friend. He was there for the good times and bad and, for whatever reason he is dead. I will miss him but life is a whole lot less complicated without him. i felt too ashamed to be seen with him at the end; the more I knew about his devious side. So, as much as I'll be romancing our relationship from time to time, to me he is dead.

I, too am thankful for this experience. Empathy is one of the major benefits my relationship with alcohol has given me. xx
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

SoberSoul;1632630 wrote:
                        I will be ignoring your calls, throwing your sexy stemware to the curb and no, you can?t sleep in my home, share my table or even sneak over for a quickie.
                        So, pack your bags Vinny. It?s over.
                        hahahahaha!! Oh my friend, I am so glad you are back. Excellent post.
                        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Love it!

Farewell and good riddance!
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Great post SS---You made a stellar decision...AL is a fake liar.......You will feel soooooooo great in such a short time. We are all here to cheer you on and of course help in any way

Comment

It's OVER VINNY!

Great letter SS!
                              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                              X