One Step at a Time - March 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have heard that there's a genetic marker for Alzheimer's. If it's any consolation, my best friends mom has Alzheimer's...and she was teetotal. My friend's dad, however, was an alcoholic, and he's mentally very sharp these days. They are 94 years old. Of course, her dad doesn't drink any longer.

Comment

I am hoping I dont have the Alzheimers gene..I play games and exercise. Hope it helps. Mother lived to be 91 and was sharp...dad is 85 and dull as a spoon...but nothing I can do except see that he is taken care of.
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Keep up with the games and fitness. That's what I do, too.

My dad was not the brightest bulb. My mom is pretty good.

Comment

One of my favorite games to play on my phone is "Wordplay". If you don't have it, try it out....I LOVE that game!

I have a bunch of work-out equipment in my basement. A "bow-flex" I picked up for a song on craigslist...plus, a treadmill, exer-bike, stretching mat, and free weights I junk picked. Additionally, I love hiking, especially straight up steep hills or mountainsides. My cabin is located in a very hilly area of the state, which is awesome.

Comment

I play Lumosity and convinced dh to join a gym with me. We are going 2/3 times a week and working out with a trainer. Only way I could get him to commit..pay for it and schedule it.
            I will look for wordplay.
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie Belle;1641760 wrote: I play Lumosity and convinced dh to join a gym with me. We are going 2/3 times a week and working out with a trainer. Only way I could get him to commit..pay for it and schedule it.
              I will look for wordplay.
              Dottie, it's so awesome that you are able to get hubs out there and work out! It's really a natural anti-depressant.

I hear ads for lumosity all the time on my sirius xm...is it good?

Comment

Yes I love it and hate it all at the same time...it really works the brain out. They send u games each day based on what u did the day before and there area also more to choose from if you want to. I do it most every day....I think there is a free trial to check it out.
                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie Belle;1641766 wrote: Yes I love it and hate it all at the same time...it really works the brain out. They send u games each day based on what u did the day before and there area also more to choose from if you want to. I do it most every day....I think there is a free trial to check it out.
                  I may have to check it out! I love my "wordplay" as I can do it at the cabin, even without a cell signal. I think it's really important to keep your brain busy.

Do you have pets, Dottie?

Comment

Oh, yes... I apologize! You have four dogs, right?

Comment

Yep and 2 cats..can be a zoo at times but I wouldn't have it any other way.
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

I was in WI once. Lake Geneva. there was a playboy club there and a group of us went. Tried to play golf but I was horrid....sat by the pool and drank. It was the clubs 25th anniversayr that year I think...it was fun, what I remember of it.
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie, that's a lot of critters!

I am down to one cat...I think she's fourteen and a half. J and I found she and her mom at a hiking trail at the U.W. Arboretum fourteen years ago. Her mom passed away last May, and she was really my girl...I miss her every single day.

Once Booty is gone, I might consider another cat. She's so old now, I'm not sure I should introduce another cat in the house while she's alive. Who knows, though? It might keep her young!

How did you come across all your critter pals?

Comment

Dottie Belle;1641773 wrote: I was in WI once. Lake Geneva. there was a playboy club there and a group of us went. Tried to play golf but I was horrid....sat by the pool and drank. It was the clubs 25th anniversayr that year I think...it was fun, what I remember of it.
                            Oh, gosh...Lake Geneva is NOT my cup of tea! Mostly caters to peeps from the greater Chicago-land area.

I was into camping a lot, particularly with my ex. She is now my best friend (the one with the very elderly parents).

Comment

All dogs are from shelters. Last one was part of a hording confiscation. he was fostered for 6 months and they did a fantastic job of bringing him out of his shell. 2 of them came from a shelter close to home and the other from the county shelter. dogs are Emmy Sue beagle mix, Annie pug/chihuahua, Penny dachshund/puggle and Maddie is the only fellow and he must be some sort of hound the way he howls...
                              Cat George is 15 and adopted him and his sister from a shelter..his sister died 4 years ago.
                              Mo was a stray we took in. He had people but we think they moved and left him. He had been neutered and de-clawed so someone paid for that.
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie Belle;1641777 wrote: All dogs are from shelters. Last one was part of a hording confiscation. he was fostered for 6 months and they did a fantastic job of bringing him out of his shell. 2 of them came from a shelter close to home and the other from the county shelter. dogs are Emmy Sue beagle mix, Annie pug/chihuahua, Penny dachshund/puggle and Maddie is the only fellow and he must be some sort of hound the way he howls...
                                Cat George is 15 and adopted him and his sister from a shelter..his sister died 4 years ago.
                                Mo was a stray we took in. He had people but we think they moved and left him. He had been neutered and de-clawed so someone paid for that.
                                I'm so glad you take in shelter dogs. :h

Those hoarding situations are so sad, aren't they? What an interesting variety of pups you have!

I really feel for cats, too...it seems they are truly "throwaway" animals. Just like my two girls. It really appeared that somebody tired of them and simply dropped them off at the trail head that day. Just as Janet and I arrived to hike, and found them? A cop pulled up to cart them off to the pound, based on calls she'd gotten reporting them there.

They were horribly thin, dirty and un-spayed. But, the best companions I could ever want.

Comment

Working...
                                X