WHEN YOU CONSIDER JUST THE ONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently I am on day nine of my umpteenth quit. I often do well up to this point. I have had numerous AF weeks and one 30 day success. Inevitably my alkie brain tells me that a nice glass of wine won't hurt me. So I have it. I feel a little let down after my first sip because I know I let myself down but..

The bottom line is that one drink may seem harmless, and in itself, is harmless, but it, always leads to more the next day, a couple of glasses the next and even more the next until I find my heart palpitating, my blood pressure rising, my mouth dehydrated, my sleep interrupted, my self-confidence eroded and my self-disgust in full swing. I need to remember this when I consider that one little drinky poo.

I have to post, post, read, tally my days A/F on the Newbie Roll Call (great idea) and never have that stupid, red crap again. It really does not taste all that f'ing delicious!!

The teas I have been drinking are deish; the Perrier is elegant with a twist of lemon; there are no excuses. I love the clear head. I don't like hanging with the drunks while sober but since we are moving, this problem will be solved.

So if you people want to add to what happens when you allow yourself, 'just the one' we can refer to this when the sick little creep whispers suggestive propositions into our ears.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

SS I think this is a great idea. I must admit I still get these thoughts even after almost 3 years sober. How great would it feel if I just had 1 drink? If I drank only a fruity alcohol drink and not my regular shots I used to drink I could control it. If I just drank when I go out (which is almost never) and never drank at home I wouldn't have a problem.

Problem is my mind starts racing at the thought of any drinking, like a salivating dog. I just know deep down I would be right back to where I was very quickly no matter what rules I put in place. And seriously who wants to drink and "relax" but have to abide by rules and have a constant fight internally about it. At that point my drinking thoughts fade away like a sad puppy hoping one day I'll give in.

My biggest advice is to come here and read the stories when we get these thoughts. Reality is a bitch and for me a big slap in the face to bring me back to sanity.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Great advice, Lori. It always leads to more no matter how you cut it doesn't it. I wish I could skip this part and advance right to three years from now when I am not still trying to shake the monkey off my back ALL the time.

I have started being honest with others about why I don't drink. I say because I obsess about how much I drink, I hate the way I feel when I drink and I like to drink too much.

It's the truth.
      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

I know - doesn't 'just one' sound so harmless? I am having a hard day and need to work through this urge! I just have to remind myself that I always wind up back here - months later back in the same boat as before...wishing I didn't drink! (well, wishing I didn't have these problems, which I clearly do and so I CAN'T drink).

Comment

SS, I must take your post as serendipity and totally meant for me to read at the exact time I did. I just finished writing a note to myself in my I pad about the exact same thing. I meant to read it every time I get the thought "I can have just one this time".

Whenever I have a thought of just being able to have just one, I should instead tell myself...
          When have I ever been able to have just one in the past? Hardly ever. Why would it be different this time? It wouldn't. "Just one" for me is like saying "Ok I might as well have a whole bottle". It happens every time.

When I have a thought of just one, I am going to play the scenario out in my head till the bitter end. One turns into a chase and obsession for at least a bottle, missing time, sometimes an argument, a messy house, extra money spent, sickness, guilt, weight gain, worry, etc, etc.

Ignoring the thought and not giving in leads to remembering the evening, ability to be more productive, no headache, no nausea, a full nights sleep, no guilt in the morning, pride, better health, etc., etc.

Thanks for the reminder

Comment

The internal fighting is a killer to begin with, go on have 1, you deserve it, if you dont tell anyone then its okay, just dont drink tomorrow, oh if i have 1 i may as well drink the rest, boys can you go to the bottle shop i need another bottle, its okay i have had a crap week i DESERVE it, i can drink normally, i've done so many days so i will be fine. So you have p*ssed me off, well i totally NEED a drink now and on it goes.

Yep yep yep, total and utter bullsh*t. I am not a normal drinker and damn it was hard to give up al, still is some days but they are becoming fewer and fewer. To wake up totally alive is fantastic and i remind myself of that always. Some days i wake up feeling like crap after a bad nights sleep and can only imagine what i used to wake up like everyday, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year. But i will never forget what al did to my health and my family and for that i will not drink. I cannot drink.

I am totally honest with myself about drinking, i cant lie anymore and i have to be on MWO daily, i need my fix of everyone on here.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

It's even more ridiculous to consider having one glass when you consider that is defined as 5 ounces of wine. Just measure that out and see what it looks like -- about the amount I would swig out of the bottle after pouring an 8+ ounce glass. There is no way I want 5 measly ounces of wine. So, I'll have none .

Comment

No Sugar, Ain't that the truth! 5 ounces is only 2-3 gulps. I measured it out before and it's a little more than 1/2 of my little teacups. If you pour 5 ounces into a mug, it barely covers the bottom. I don't want 5 ounces, I want at least 25!

Comment

One drink :H:H:H:H:H

Ahhhhhh.....no such thing.....
                  If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                  Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Just the one -what? Glass? Bottle? cask?

For me one standard glass of wine would only be if I was drinking it purely for the taste - maybe the smell thrown in as well.
                    I liked good wine but never just for the taste.

Would rather consume 100 calories as a few squares of chocolate. At least I can stop at that!

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1635014 wrote: One drink :H:H:H:H:H

Ain't THAT the truth...

As June3 wrote - if just one, why not none?

What the heck would one do?

Comment

frances;1634900 wrote: I know - doesn't 'just one' sound so harmless? I am having a hard day and need to work through this urge! I just have to remind myself that I always wind up back here - months later back in the same boat as before...wishing I didn't drink! (well, wishing I didn't have these problems, which I clearly do and so I CAN'T drink).
                        Hey SS and Frances:

Yes Frances---you will land up back there....and now your here

SS.....You dont need to wish about being at 3 years---you are AF---rejoice in it today...you have earned that!!!

Yaaaaaa.....the little romance reminder that "it might be nice"...ITS BULLSHIT FOLKS....and we know that now...and we have pretty solid evidence.....Like I passed on a famous quote from jagger in the newbies nest...

"the thing about booze and drugs is this...you start out choosing the lifestyle and it treats you well......then after awhile...the lifestyle chooses you!"

One day at a time..Im having a good day today...Peace-luv-dub!

Comment

Hm.
                          Nope. I don't even consider 'one'.
                          One bottle, maybe.

I'm so far past 'enjoying a drink'. It's not about the drink any more at all. It's about checking out.
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1635014 wrote: One drink :H:H:H:H:H

Yep.

SoberSoul;1634897 wrote:
                            I wish I could skip this part and advance right to three years from now when I am not still trying to shake the monkey off my back ALL the time.
                            Yep

I would love to be more erudite but this pretty much sums it up for me.
                            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

sunshine_gg;1635042 wrote: Hm.
                              Nope. I don't even consider 'one'.
                              One bottle, maybe.

I'm so far past 'enjoying a drink'. It's not about the drink any more at all. It's about checking out.
                              This is exactly where I am Sunshine- my 'just one' has nothing to do with AL and everything to so with checking out....We'll Said!

SS great Thread! :l
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                              X