thoughts on AF wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on AF wine?

I keep thinking about wanting the taste of wine - to enjoy having that glass in my hand, etc. etc. - someone told me they went through a period of drinking AF wine - I'm wondering if that would hurt my trying to break the habit?

I know everyone's different so the answer is probably not black and white but I'm just wondering...what are your thoughts?

I'm having a pretty strong craving right now. Better take a walk and get some tea!

thoughts on AF wine?

Hi Frances

My kids suggested af wine and i said why and they said well its pretend wine but i never drank fizzy wine when i was drinking my buckets so i did not think it was a logical solution to me wanting wine. I just diverted my attention away from wanting al to having a tea or coffee or water. It passes like all cravings so be strong.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

frances;1634889 wrote: I keep thinking about wanting the taste of wine - to enjoy having that glass in my hand, etc. etc. - someone told me they went through a period of drinking AF wine - I'm wondering if that would hurt my trying to break the habit?

I know everyone's different so the answer is probably not black and white but I'm just wondering...what are your thoughts?

I'm having a pretty strong craving right now. Better take a walk and get some tea!
      Its totally your choice Frances........you may be still romancing the notion as I did for sooooo long. I was a big wine collector...for me to give it up was costly...and the romance was huge...like a lover.......I understand and this thought thing may be with you for a bit. The key is to do WHATEVER it takes to get to 30-60 days....then you will have a completely different mindset as to how you want to approach alcohol. Again....the key is to NOT mess your mind with these big life long decisions...but to go one day at a time and then see how you feel with numerous sober days under your belt.

Todays good news is that you are sober. Thats all i care about and Im glad you are

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

Hi Frances, I used it. Helped - amongst loads of other things though - me break my habit to be honest. Thinking back, maybe for 6 months or so? haven't touched it since as its all kind of vinegar tasting now. Do what works for you.

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

X-post lead! I think my post verified what you just said, it's all what is relevant to the individual x

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

I didn't drink the wine for the taste so AF free never occurred to me to try.....I like grape juice.
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

How do you feel about drinking pancake syrup? Bahaha...I tried the AF wine and it was sickeningly sweet! It also had about 250 calories (of course, the calories NEVER bothered me when it had AL in it!). So I said why bother, and moved on!
              It ain't the same (in my opinion) but then again, I was just chasing the buzz, I was not a connoisseur by any stretch. It wasn't worth it to me, but give it a try if you think it might help. B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

This is just my opinion so please feel free to disregard it. Why "pretend" to drink? You can sit with a completely non-al related drink in your hand as easily as you can with fake wine. And I guarantee anything you drink will taste better than AF wine....(Yes, I tried it...of course!!!)
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

I cook with it and make champagne jelly. But really for savoury dishes you could easily use verjuice or similar.

I've also taken it to gatherings so people will shut TF up about what I'm drinking (they never read the label)

If you think it's going to trigger you in ANY WAY I would leave it.
                  If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                  Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

I think the AF wine in Australia must be a lot drier than that in the US. The one I used wasn't sweet at all. Anyway...agree with what Bridge has said. And also wondering back to the dark question of physical or habitual addiction...

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

Thanks all - sounds like it doesn't taste very good

I think I am just missing having that wine glass in my hand. But I do feel like it might make me just want to switch right over to the real stuff if I did try it.

I'll stick with what I've been doing - but I'm sick of tea and water - I need to get some flavored seltzer or something. Maybe I'll run out to the store this evening!

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

frances;1635006 wrote: Thanks all - sounds like it doesn't taste very good

I think I am just missing having that wine glass in my hand. But I do feel like it might make me just want to switch right over to the real stuff if I did try it.

I'll stick with what I've been doing - but I'm sick of tea and water - I need to get some flavored seltzer or something. Maybe I'll run out to the store this evening!
                        Oh that's half the fun Frances!
                        Carve out some time and cruise the drinks isle at the supermarket. Seltzers, flavoured mineral waters and lemonade. Ginger beer, spritzers, most of these available in sugar free options if you're deferring sugar.

I stick some strawberries, lime juice, loads of ice and agave syrup into the nutri-blend and wiz it up to make a mocktail.

I used to use my old wine glasses at 5pm with AF drinks in them because I like to drink out of something nice. But now I have some lovely little French Provincial style tumblers instead. It sounds a bit parochial, but it has taken the place of my old ritual which was to get munted, fall over and break all of my lovely glassware.:H:H:H
                        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

byebyebridgetjones;1635011 wrote:
                          I used to use my old wine glasses at 5pm with AF drinks in them because I like to drink out of something nice. But now I have some lovely little French Provincial style tumblers instead. It sounds a bit parochial, but it has taken the place of my old ritual which was to get munted, fall over and break all of my lovely glassware.:H:H:H
                          :H:H Bridge, you've just brought back memories of glassware past...the breakages...the $...and explaining them away...thank dog those days are done...looked in the cupboard the other day and we've only got one wine glass left...never bothered replacing them...

Like the sound of those French Provincial numbers btw...

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

Frances - not sure where you are, but Trader Joes has a couple of lovely juices - some with bubbles in nice bottles that make me feel as if I am getting a "special" drink - my teenage girls and I drink them for those occassions where I miss the ritual, and to a degree they work.
                            I did try AF wine and did not like it one little bit!
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

thoughts on AF wine?

MAE All,

I am LOL as I look in my cabinet - what a mish-mash of glasses! Thanks Bridge and MHP - :H:H. I went from nice wine glasses, to stemless, to buying bulk cuz I broke so many! Maybe it's time to start thinking like a clear-headed, AF adult and consider getting a nice set. Yet another benefit of kicking al out to the curb!
                              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X