X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation

I posted this link on my facebook page yesterday:

Why Can't I Stop Drinking Wine? | elephant journal

And said that "I could have totally written this. Been over a year now since I have touched a glass and I feel better than I ever have. And I don't feel like I am "missing" anything. Pretty crazy really."

Not one comment and only one "like" from a friend from long ago. Not that "likes" matter, but my back here in Philly, there is a huge culture of drinking. My friends here, family back in Calfornia and all my CA friends there still party it up. I am not considered normal when people find I don't drink. They are surprised actually, that I can actually have a great time and not have to get hammered like they do. It's just not part of my life anymore. It really makes people uncomfortable though. I did not post it to make anyone feel that way, the article just really resonated with me - it WAS me. I don't feel ashamed that I had a problem (still do, but don't drink)....it's just an observation.
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Observation

Great article Waggy! Yes I could definitely relate. A "normal" drinker doesn't have to set a reminder to NOT drink. Nor do they think about it ALL day long. I know I sure did. As soon as my hangover cleared, I was already planning which liquor store on the rotation to go to. Ugh. The time I spent planning and scheming...what a waste!

Thanks for posting...and here is a "Like". LOL
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Observation

Well, I think you would get many "likes" here and I see why you didn't get many on FB... "Liking" this is tantamount to admitting you know what she is talking about. The normal drinkers I know would read this and think it was just stupid - If you don't want to drink, then don't.

There was a point a few years ago when I could have claimed exactly what this woman has. From my new vantage point, I suspect that she is on her way to where I ended up. It is a progressive condition and lucky for her, she seems to be progressing quite slowly. The fact that she wrote this makes me think she might be able to stop the problem before it becomes overwhelming. I sure hope so.

Thanks for the post, NS

Comment

Observation

Definitely me but it got to a bottle, and sometimes more. Not two glasses. But I totally understand being obsessed with getting that glass. Also with telling myself every day I wouldn't do it that evening but then going right ahead and doing it. Wagoneer, I was telling my husband yesterday evening the same thing you mention - I am not missing anything - what is the point of sitting in front of the TV with a glass (or 4) of wine - I can just as easily have water or tea or seltzer or nothing - it makes no difference except I am more alert and interested in what's going on around me. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Observation

I wonder how big those glasses are? But just one 6 oz. glass is the limit recommended by official sources in this country, so it may not be the healthiest choice. I sometimes stopped at two, sometimes three, sometimes a bottle. I just know that my life is better without alcohol. I imagine she would be a better mom to those kids in the evenings without the wine.

Frances, I exactly agree with you. I used to sit with my wine, stare at TV or page through catalogs of things I don't need. Now, I read great books! Or choose to do something useful at home or out. I have all of my choices back EXCEPT alcohol.

I bet there are lots of people on Facebook who agree with her thinking, but would not admit it in that public environment. I have never mentioned my alcohol problem on Facebook, and never will.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Observation

I read a blog called Unpickled - she writes eloquently about her recovery from "needing" wine at the end of the day rather than drinking a bottle a night. I think it is a great read.

Here is her post about friends who say dumb things when they find out we're not drinking. I recommend reading the blog from the beginning for her story, but this is a great post.

Comment

Observation

Pav - I am anxious to check out that blog from home. My darn work blocks us from networking sites (how dare they!). I love the title - Unpickled
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Observation

Pavati;1639390 wrote: I read a blog called Unpickled - she writes eloquently about her recovery from "needing" wine at the end of the day rather than drinking a bottle a night. I think it is a great read.

Here is her post about friends who say dumb things when they find out we're not drinking. I recommend reading the blog from the beginning for her story, but this is a great post.
                Great blog! Thanks so much!
                February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Observation

K9Lover;1639129 wrote: Great article Waggy! Yes I could definitely relate. A "normal" drinker doesn't have to set a reminder to NOT drink. Nor do they think about it ALL day long. I know I sure did. As soon as my hangover cleared, I was already planning which liquor store on the rotation to go to. Ugh. The time I spent planning and scheming...what a waste!

Thanks for posting...and here is a "Like". LOL
                  Yaaaaaaa...the rotation...JIZUS.....ridiculous...glad thats done with.

Comment

Observation

Thanks Pav I started reading the Unpickled blog today! Started from the beginning - only got as far as 3 weeks so far (same as where I am!). Her situation is very similar to mine so I can really relate.

Comment

Working...
                    X