Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Hey Everyone,

I just have a question...I am on day 37 and lately I've been raging. Yesterday in particular I thought I was going to burst out crying...and nothing of seriousness happened!! I was just annoyed by people's behaviors at work. I am regularly irritated and frustrated...I am not sure if this is just ME or what...I wasn't this bad while drinking...I am beginning to think that I covered up an array of emotions with drinking and now am having a tough time dealing with all these feelings - especially the shitty ones.
    I wouldn't say I am depressed...I look forward to each new day. But I can't deal with people...they annoy me to no end! I honestly would rather be at home by myself and read or do whatever on my own.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just harboring some sort of resentment early in my sobriety because other people are free to do as they want and I need to stay this path in order to keep from drinking?
    I know I shouldn't be thinking this way - or it will lead me TO drinking...but I just need help as to how I can deal with all these crappy emotions.
    I am seeing a counselor - but only once a month...I want to start meditation and exercising...but....why am I so damn annoyed all the time now?? >

Any ideas?

-Bri.*

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Oh definitely Bri! I can only speak for myself but when I was drinking I numbed out all true emotions and abilities to deal with any type of reality. Yes I did get angry when I drank but it was over nonsense and I would just drink more til I passed out. I never really knew how to handle real life. If I had a good day, I drank. If I had a bad day, I drank. No matter what, I drank everyday to "celebrate" or forget. Once I stopped drinking, dealing with emotions rationally was all new to me. For me, I just would try to remove myself from a bad situation (maybe a 5 or 10 min break if I was at work) and work thru the situation in my head. Talk a walk if you can just to clear your head. I am not a people person either so I get you on that.

It's going to take some time to process. You are doing amazing! When you feel frustrated or overwhelmed try to come here or even just write yourself notes. It really helps to put it down on paper sometimes-kind of a release. Also, counseling in your first year of sobriety is going to be a huge help in transitioning to this new sober living.

Take a few deep breaths (that really does help!) and just remember how well you are doing.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Oh yeah...I can relate! I used to get so pissed off at people, but now I just try to let it go. After all, they really are not that important to me, and they don't have the power to upset me. When I go home at night, all the work stuff is left behind. Remember who will be by your side when you are dying...it won't be your co-worker in the next cubicle. Focus on the important stuff, like YOU and getting yourself healthy. You are doing great. This WILL get easier, I promise! I am so proud of you! :h
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Hang on in there Bri. As said, try to take 5 minutes out. Listen to your emotions. Exercise and chill out time is really important in these days for you. Try not to let work stress overwhelm you. Well done on your quit!

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

I had a huge emotional block that broke somewhere between 3 and 4 months. I went on crying jags, laughed at odd times etc. But it evened out. I still have trouble processing emotions, especially negative ones. Recently I read about the Sedona method. It was recommended in the toolbox as a tool for letting go of negative emotions. I am working with that right now and it seems to be helping.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Red67 - I was the very same way. I would get upset and start arguments over the silliest things while drinking, then after a big blow up I would continue drinking until I passed out as well. How much fun, eh?? :/ I drank for every single reason I could think of as well. So yes, dealing with emotions (esp when not a people person) can be quite difficult.
            You're right, I just need to go take a walk, remove myself from the situation and give it 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes even after though I keep thinking of the situation over and over in my head...and it stresses me out...and sometimes I get more angry.
            I am definitely glad that I am doing the counseling and will definitely start writing, I told myself in the beginning of my sobriety that I would write more and I think I did twice or three times, but that was it. So need to do more of that...get my anger out in some form.
            And yes, I need to keep my eyes on the prize. Thank you!

K9 - you are right, some people are really not that important...but I lost myself and my self-esteem along the way when I was drinking...so now I am concerned about what *everyone* thinks of me, and it's highly frustrating because in a way I don't feel like I am being true to myself. I do need to focus on the important stuff...ME 110%! Thank you.
            I will definitely try and remember this...that I am the most important right now and if anyone has a problem? They can p off. Lol.

Treetops - Time is important. I need to remember this. I can't let my anger get the best of me, especially when it is one of my triggers. So I will definitely try and implement everything and anything I can to stay on track.
            Thank you!

Little Beagle - thank you! I will be sure to check that out; the Sedona method. Really need to put into perspective everything in my life right now.
            So you're saying your emotions evened out after 3-4 months?? Thank you.

-Bri.*

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Good job Bri! You got this girl! :l

Don't get me wrong, I still get mad and annoyed, but I don't hang on to it anymore. Giving myself a heart attack is not going to change THEM! Just like drinking AT people never did anything but make ME a fat, lazy drunk! Way to show 'em eh? LOL :H

Have you ever tried Relaxation CD's? I drift off to sleep every night with them. I think somehow it calms my brain all night, cuz I wake up pretty happy...and I HATE waking up! HA

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

When all is said and done, I can usually point the finger at me. I get annoyed at others because I am pissed at me. But it sure is a lot easier to point the finger at them.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Bri, I have nothing to add, but I am delighted to learn that you are through the first 30 days. I remember your posts, you are starting a new life for yourself. It is well worth the work and growing pains.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Just remember that when you point a finger at someone else, FOUR are pointing back at you!

I read that the other day and I've been dying to use it. Thanks Spirit!

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Great thread and advice , thanks all.
                      I was having similar thoughts and I am about 50 ish days sober.

Damo in Dublin x
                      Still trying !!!
                      AF 25th June2014

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

I am going to reply to everyone that responded?so I don't get all long winded?lol.

You are all right?if I do point the finger, than I definitely have 4 pointing back at me. There have been circumstances when what someone has said to me frustrated me?and I didn't know how to deal with it properly?but of course there were other times where it was just plain old me being a drama queen.
                        Than again, it's tough?because I haven't dealt with all these emotions properly in quite a long while.
                        I really need to deal with these emotions healthfully and properly. I haven't tried the relaxation cds (K9) but I have some ambiance apps on my phone and listen to lounge music before bed which usually always calms me down.
                        It's funny, I am pretty much okay when at home?but when I'm out, in public?I get a little frazzled.
                        Thank you Sunbeam for your comment - it makes me feel great that some haven't forgotten about me!
                        And Damo - how are you dealing with the anger issues?are they starting to go away a bit??

You know, I was pretty irritable when drinking - but find I am more so now?many people are telling me that it is a result of my anxiety?so maybe I need to focus on tackling my anxiety??
                        I just need to vent on here as well. It was getting to a point where that voice started to creep back in and gaining rapid strength.
                        I held off.
                        Thanks everyone.

-Bri.

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Bri - there is a name for this, and for the life of me I can't remember it! If someone can help remember, I know there is lots written about it on MWO - you are normal I believe, I have seen a lot feeling the same way - I try to ignore it as I don't want to know that I might not feel good as a result of giving up drinking
                          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

So my brain kicked in - PAWS - post acute withdrawal syndrome - there is lots on this site...
                            The second stage of withdrawal is called the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). During this stage you'll have fewer physical symptoms, but more emotional and psychological withdrawal symptoms.

Post-acute withdrawal occurs because your brain chemistry is gradually returning to normal. As your brain improves the levels of your brain chemicals fluctuate as they approach the new equilibrium causing post-acute withdrawal symptoms.

Most people experience some post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Whereas in the acute stage of withdrawal every person is different, in post-acute withdrawal most people have the same symptoms.

The Symptoms of Post-Acute Withdrawal
                            The most common post-acute withdrawal symptoms are:

?Mood swings
                            ?Anxiety
                            ?Irritability
                            ?Tiredness
                            ?Variable energy
                            ?Low enthusiasm
                            ?Variable concentration
                            ?Disturbed sleep
                            Post-acute withdrawal feels like a rollercoaster of symptoms. In the beginning, your symptoms will change minute to minute and hour to hour. Later as you recover further they will disappear for a few weeks or months only to return again. As you continue to recover the good stretches will get longer and longer. But the bad periods of post-acute withdrawal can be just as intense and last just as long.

Each post-acute withdrawal episode usually last for a few days. Once you've been in recovery for a while, you will find that each post-acute withdrawal episode usually lasts for a few days. There is no obvious trigger for most episodes. You will wake up one day feeling irritable and have low energy. If you hang on for just a few days, it will lift just as quickly as it started. After a while you'll develop confidence that you can get through post-acute withdrawal, because you'll know that each episode is time limited.

Post-acute withdrawal usually lasts for 2 years. This is one of the most important things you need to remember. If you're up for the challenge you can get though this. But if you think that post-acute withdrawal will only last for a few months, then you'll get caught off guard, and when you're disappointed you're more likely to relapse. (Reference: Addictions and Recovery.org - Relapse Prevention and Coping Skills)
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Anger. Rage. Listless.

Bri- I am so proud of you!!
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X