generalised anxiety disorder following abstinence from alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading the wikipedia entry on generalised anxiety disorder, which i suspect i have. This popped up

Generalized anxiety disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"long-term alcohol use is associated with anxiety disorders,[14] with evidence that prolonged abstinence can result in a disappearance of anxiety symptoms.[15] However, it can take up to 2 years for anxiety symptoms to return to baseline in about a quarter of people recovering from alcoholism"

I didn't have GAD before i started drinking, so its probably a good bet that i have GAD because of my 5 years of drinking. I'm sober nearly 4 months now.

I'm wondering if anyone has the same, how long did it take for anxiety to get better and what therapies / medications did they use to get there

thanks
    01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

From the Toolbox
    Sunbeam;1573418 wrote: Some people drink to reduce anxiety. Here's a helpful link: 3 Tips to Lower Anxiety | Higher Mind Health

I like Bella, the person at Higher Mind Health. I follow her on Facebook.

Comment

Neo, my anxiety was atrocious when i was drinking but of course i blamed everything but the drinking and when i used to shake that much that i could not write first thing in the morning, that was not the drinking either. I used to take Xanax but not often as that is addictive. Logic if ever i have used any!

Now after not drinking for about the same amount of time as you it is very very rare that i get anxious and usually it is in a situation i do not feel comfortable in. Just not drinking has had a wonderful effect on my anxiety thank god!

Funny how we blame everything not on al when at the end of the day we realise that it causes 99.9% of our problems.

Good on you for your 4 months also.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
      X