Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April update from RJ

Hi, everyone.

My apologies for the delay in providing an update about our new plans. I?ve got a fabulous team helping with strategies to help underwrite our efforts here on the forum, but I was sidetracked just as we got the project started. Family health matters and other issues demanded my attention, and I?m still coming up for air.

The good news?and true silver lining here?is that there's a real reward that comes from tackling life?s struggles with a clear head. It is a gift for which I am very grateful and wish everyone here. It?s one of the reasons we?re working hard to keep our community viable.

I don?t have all the details worked out, but can give you an idea of where we?re headed.

Moving forward:

* I will be more actively involved in the MWO community and hope to implement a number of new revenue generating programs.

* We thank all of you for your support, especially those who took time to fill out our demographic survey. It?s been very helpful as we work on attracting support.

* When reviewing our options, we understand they include: 1) Shutting the site down; 2) Charging a subscription fee to all visitors; or 3) Advertising. The third option is most attractive. We?re committed to providing complete access to all who need it, and to do so in the least intrusive way.

* We?re reviewing the research we?ve collected and will soon begin work on an advertising campaign. The forum is currently running at a deficit, and has for some time. This model is obviously not sustainable. We are committed to generating revenue to pay for our overhead, which includes significant administrative and technical support. Our ads will be made up of standard header, footer, and sidebar-type display ads, as well as Forum Sponsors, who will be invited to host their own forum threads and interact with our members. We're working on ad rates right now, and will share them with those who are interested.

How you can help:

* We need to show?with numbers and other data?that our community is active and engaged. Whether you?re here for help with a short-term crisis, or have been involved for many years, it?s important for us to demonstrate those numbers to potential advertisers. For example, as I write this, the stats on the bottom of the forum home page indicate we?ve had 144 members visit today. But the ?guest? visits show 2,828. We allow guests full access, but don?t require them to sign up. I set it up that way early on so, people who felt uncomfortable registering with an email address (which is required by the software) didn?t have to. However, in the long run it may hurt our advertising efforts, as it under-represents the volume and type of regular traffic we get. So if you are willing to do so, please register as a member. (By the way, an email address is required, but a *valid* email address is not. ;-)

* If you?d like to help us with our marketing efforts, we?d love your recommendations for potential advertisers, particularly those who focus on the products and services of interest to our visitors. In many ways, we have an enviable advertising demographic. According to our survey, our audience, while diverse, is made up of a majority of women who are interested in various recovery methodologies and self-help services. They have expressed specific interest in nutrition, online therapy, life coaching, and non-traditional approaches to recovery. They want products to improve their health and their homes. Please feel free to refer advertisers in your area whom you feel may benefit from a presence here. We?ve set up a specific address for this at marketmwo@gmail.com. I will ensure absolute anonymity for anyone who contacts us there.

* And finally, we?re not too proud to accept donations, which will go directly to site support. Our marketing efforts will take time (and money) and your gift can help us as we work hard getting up on step. If you wish to help support our community in this way, please consider sending a PayPal donation to marketmwo@gmail.com. Again, we assure you the utmost confidentiality.

Thank you for your interest and commitment in helping us achieve these important goals. I am absolutely committed to keeping this forum alive. With your assistance we can ensure that this site continues to provide the critical support that?s needed by people in recovery.

Warm regards,

RJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

April update from RJ

Cool stuff RJ.

My attitude is that if you need to advertise more to keep this site afloat, then do it. I trust you to vet appropriate advertising here. Thanks.

All the best to you and your family.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

April update from RJ

I'm with you G-man. There are many, many folks out there who say MWO got them sober and MWO is their lifeline. Subscription to MWO is about the price of one bottle of wine per mo, or a case of beer.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

April update from RJ

Hi, RJ

Asking people to register to view the majority of the site seems reasonable. Many forums require that and it doesn't leave anyone out due to finances. Alternate email addresses can be easily obtained for free. You'd then have a better number to encourage advertisers.

Comment

April update from RJ

Thanks RJ for the update, I dont think you realise what a saviour to many mwo is and i for one am open to any options available. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving my life.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

April update from RJ

I think you will find we are all delighted option 1 is NOT an option! Some had started to look around incase this site was shut down, and do not feel happy with the alternatives, so wish to stay here.
            Happy to support what needs to occur, thank you for planning to maintain the site
            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

April update from RJ

RJ, I realise any support I can give is a small drop in the ocean, and perhaps those of us who are already registered aren?t the main issue at the moment in terms of attracting advertisers, but I do have some questions about subscription.

It seems as though the only way to subscribe at the moment is to set up an automatic debit from a bank account, which I would prefer not to do. Is there an alternative where I could just make a regular payment? If not, it?s probably better if I just make an equivalent donation 4 times a year, but I assume that?s not as useful for you in terms of budget forecasting.
              There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
              You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

April update from RJ

Hi Roberta -again, thanks for the free whiteboard space.

First, I have always wondered why more advertising was not done. I only assumed it was because your own products were generating plenty of revenue for the upkeep of a site designed to sell products.

Regardless of any motives or requirements, your site deserves to generate revenue and I think very few would argue this point. You and your site offer a very valuable and needed forum for the addicted and their families. You have been overly generous to help us all out to this point in the way that you have.

I would like to suggest one thing; do not require newbies or lurkers to register. Even if they do set up a fake email account, many will just fly on by if they have to do anything. Or, at least that is my opinion regarding the main stream alcoholic. The best advertisement you have going are the posts from alcoholics to alcoholics. If they are going to hang around, they will eventually join -imo. I guess I am just stating this as a result of my own experience.

Alcoholics are paranoid by nature; so initially just asking them to "sign-on" might not be as helpful as one might initially think.

Thanks for a great site and I look forward to seeing who some of the advertisers might be.

Comment

April update from RJ

SKendall;1644781 wrote: I'm with you G-man. There are many, many folks out there who say MWO got them sober and MWO is their lifeline. Subscription to MWO is about the price of one bottle of wine per mo, or a case of beer.
                  Yes, I agree. I think it's time I step up to the plate, given how much time I spend here.
                  In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

April update from RJ

i have been on a forum that allowed a certain amounts of posts without signing up. gives a taste of whether its for you or not. then yearly subscription.

this would depend on how much you were considering if you chose to go that way, but i think allowing people to have a quick 'test' of the site would be a good idea. i never pay if i cant see the goods.

Comment

April update from RJ

I tried to register for a subscriber account today and was unable to find a way to do so. Please advise.
                      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

April update from RJ

I purchased a subscription today but am unable to enter the subscriber forum. How long will it be before I am granted access?

Comment

April update from RJ

Hi, Alky

Something must not have gone through. You should be able to get in immediately and there should be a little pencil by your name. good luck!

Comment

April update from RJ

I have a paypal receipt and my bank card shows it went through. I don't want to be double charged.

Comment

April update from RJ

Jane27 had a similar experience. You might ask her how she got it straightened out - she also had the PayPal receipt.

Comment

Working...
                              X