UNCHAINED... forgiving myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On my fourth day of consciously avoiding hiding my memories and feelings of remorse behind a glass of red wine I came to a realization.

When the thoughts and memories of decisions I?ve made in the past that caused pain to myself and others came to haunt me as they do in the dark hours of the sober nights, rather than allowing shame to hang it?s large hat on my heart, I decided to travel backwards from the moment I made the mistake to it?s origin.

The further back I went the more I realized that what is, just is. No decent person makes a decision based on causing pain to others as a primary reason. We make the best choices we can with the knowledge and experience we have at the time.

Once my husband followed me to work on a Saturday because he thought I was having an affair at work. I wasn?t. He brought my 10 year old adopted daughter and she witnessed the confrontation between us. As I ordered him to leave the premises, she cried and begged to stay with me. I refused and forced her to go with her Dad as I thought he had caused the turmoil and he should deal with her. Hearing her pleas and cries did not move me at the time.

Usually, when I recount this incident, I inevitably pour myself a drink to numb the shame of turning my back on her. This time I asked myself what had caused me, a very nurturing mother, to do this. Since we brought her home from Korea our little girl had caused much disruption in our lives. She was a very difficult child. Her early abandonment had made her more insecure than most children and she acted out in destructive ways on a regular basis. By the time this incident occurred my marriage was in shambles, my family was in crisis and I was a shadow of the woman I truly was down deep.

The Korean culture had forced a young mother to give up her beloved baby born out of wedlock by not having a support system in place. This child had been placed in my home and the agony of a mother child separation played out every day in our family causing the ripple effects of dysfunction, frustration and chaos. As a mother in a crumbling marriage on that particular day, I was breaking under the weight of my husband?s mistrust, my daughter?s endless neediness and my own spent emotional resources. On that day my choice caused my daughter pain.

For the first time I truly forgive myself for that one disappointing incident of many. What is, just is. I will not numb myself with wine to avoid the memory. I am a good person and made this and all past decisions in the heat of the moment and never intending to deliberately cause anyone pain.

This, I know.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

That was very heartfelt SS and i totally agree that we need to forgive ourselves and move on. We cannot change the past only the future with our actions. I have been having the same thoughts that my mother did what she had to do when we were young, she made mistakes, some big ones from a childs point of view but she did her best. I have to move on and forge a mother daughter bond as at the end of the day i am sure i have done some or a lot of things to hurt my children. I do know that drinking was one of them.

Thank you for sharing and I truly hope you and your daughter work it out and she forgives you and moves on and you accept that you did your best at the time and the future without al can only heal you. You always were a good person its just that al makes us into someone that hides that along the way.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

SS thanks for sharing! I can relate but I'm watching my daughter put guys/weed before my grand daughter. My sweet loving grand daughter is acting out! She's real winey and doesn't want clean her room.... and is tearing and cutting things up with her little scissors. She is 4 now and my daughter is 19....I keep trying to tell her that her daughter is old enough to understand and remember everything that's going on!

This was the reason I started drinking heavy back in 2012. But I cut back drastically 4 weeks ago... and now have a couple of af days under my belt. It feels good not to drink all day long!!!

Comment

Dear Sober Soul,
        So glad you are unburdening yourself from those chains. "it is what it is" is a regular mantra of mine.

When I read your post I thought to myself how each of us does the best we can and your post is helping me with a difficult work situation. Thank you.
        Free at Last
        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

available;1646445 wrote: That was very heartfelt SS and i totally agree that we need to forgive ourselves and move on. We cannot change the past only the future with our actions. I have been having the same thoughts that my mother did what she had to do when we were young, she made mistakes, some big ones from a childs point of view but she did her best. I have to move on and forge a mother daughter bond as at the end of the day i am sure i have done some or a lot of things to hurt my children. I do know that drinking was one of them.

Thank you for sharing and I truly hope you and your daughter work it out and she forgives you and moves on and you accept that you did your best at the time and the future without al can only heal you. You always were a good person its just that al makes us into someone that hides that along the way.
          My mother was an alcoholic and could not give us much either so my kids are pretty lucky I was a warm, nurturing mom 99% of the time. We have to forgive our mothers and most importantly, ourselves.

My daughter is now 25 and at about age 20 sought counselling to deal with her past family trauma and luckily she found the right counsellor and was able to let go of most of her anger towards me and later on, her Dad. She is now expecting her first child a girl, blood of her blood which I believe will aid her even more in healing the loneliness that only an adopted child can understand. We are both very excited about the baby coming and in my recent sobriety, I've managed to knit the little one a lopsided sweater. My daughter knows how awkward a knitter I am and will appreciate it.
          Lao-Tzu

Comment

-143;1646521 wrote: SS thanks for sharing! I can relate but I'm watching my daughter put guys/weed before my grand daughter. My sweet loving grand daughter is acting out! She's real winey and doesn't want clean her room.... and is tearing and cutting things up with her little scissors. She is 4 now and my daughter is 19....I keep trying to tell her that her daughter is old enough to understand and remember everything that's going on!

This was the reason I started drinking heavy back in 2012. But I cut back drastically 4 weeks ago... and now have a couple of af days under my belt. It feels good not to drink all day long!!!
            I can really relate 143 as I started heavily into the sauce when the same daughter was around 14 and into drugs, missing school, threatening abuse, etc. Cutting and being destructive are very common signs of the little one feeling abandoned, alone, etc. Good luck with the little one. They need so much love and take so much out of us. Being a selfless granny is exhausting, eh..
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

free at last;1646522 wrote: Dear Sober Soul,
              So glad you are unburdening yourself from those chains. "it is what it is" is a regular mantra of mine.

When I read your post I thought to myself how each of us does the best we can and your post is helping me with a difficult work situation. Thank you.
              Glad to be of help. Ever since I've heard that What is, is mantra, something inside me took a turn for the better. xxx
              Lao-Tzu

Comment

SS :l Putting that one incident down in writing probably made it easier for you to start letting it go. I'll bet that you've thought about that day WAY more than your daughter. It hurts our hearts when we hurt them, but they DO get over things. I really admire you for looking closely at the situation and deciding to forgive yourself!

I listen to a relaxation CD at night and it says to imagine yourself on a beach. Then imagine writing your troubles in the sand. Then envision the waves slowly coming in and wiping away the writing. It helps to "watch" them go away...

Keep up your great work, I am SO SO proud of you! :h
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Ss,
                  that was nicely said. how great of you to put yourself back into the place that causes pain and accept responsibility for it, but then let it go. I think we all need to do that and i will try that myself. Thankyou for the isight..
                  ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

Sober what a gorgeous post. you are so gifted. :l

The dreaded snapshots of my past have often driven me back to drinking & sleepless nights.

A few weeks ago I was laying in bed and I felt those vicious soldiers of shame and guilt start marching into My head- just one by one they started popping in, trying to worm their way into my nights sleep again....and quite suddenly (and it was totally unconscious) the images of these four beings sitting on a wall came into my mind. They weren't exactly human beings - they were sort of this odd conglomeration of animal and men and soldier types and wild things! So I'm laying there watching them in my minds eye and they're all there talking to one another and they're heavily armed - Guns, belts weapons very military and I suddenly realized that they were there to guard my life....MySpace.. my compound as it were .... my family.

They were all locked and loaded and I suddenly understood that nobody was getting passed these guys, but they were solely there to guard against the ugly thoughts and feelings of shame and guilt which would weasel their way into my head at a moments notice and always wrecked me in the past. These guys were completely all over it nobody was getting passed them. I was safe. I could go back to sleep. My big bad bodyguards were on the job and I swear the overwhelming feeling of peace that swept through me was mind-boggling.

I always knew that visualization was a great tool in our toolbox especially for people like me who get overwhelmed so quickly with all those visions of past mistakes, hurts, stupid stuff... Like you said they come into my head and I just want to drink....:upset: now they are stopped at the gate...so to speak..so they can't snowball into the monsters that take me down the road we all know so well...

So I use these guys now in the evening when I'm going to bed, when I feel those thoughts coming in I visualize these guys sitting outside my compound locked and loaded ready to guard me and it really really helps... Forgive me if this sounds trite or over-the-top I just really so profoundly relate to what you were saying. I am desperate to stop those thoughts as well.

Hope this helps. :l
                    Love you :h
                    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

PS- I cross posted a few excellent suggestions as well. This is such an important topic. Thank you SS for sharing. :l
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Kradle123;1646589 wrote: Sober what a gorgeous post. you are so gifted. :l

The dreaded snapshots of my past have often driven me back to drinking & sleepless nights.

A few weeks ago I was laying in bed and I felt those vicious soldiers of shame and guilt start marching into My head- just one by one they started popping in, trying to worm their way into my nights sleep again....and quite suddenly (and it was totally unconscious) the images of these four beings
                        sitting on a wall came into my mind. They weren't exactly human beings - they were sort of this odd conglomeration of animal and men and soldier types and wild things! So I'm laying there watching them in my minds eye and they're all there talking to one another and they're heavily armed - Guns, belts weapons very military and I suddenly realized that they were there to guard my life....MySpace.. my compound as it were .... my family.

They were all locked and loaded and I suddenly understood that nobody was getting passed these guys, but they were solely there to guard against the ugly thoughts and feelings of shame and guilt which would weasel their way into my head at a moments notice and always wrecked me in the past. These guys were completely all over it nobody was getting passed them. I was safe. I could go back to sleep. My big bad bodyguards were on the job and I swear the overwhelming feeling of peace that swept through me was mind-boggling.

I always knew that visualization was a great tool in our toolbox especially for people like me who get overwhelmed so quickly with all those visions of past mistakes, hurts, stupid stuff... Like you said they come into my head and I just want to drink....:upset: now they are stopped at the gate...so to speak..so they can't snowball into the monsters that take me down the road we all know so well...

So I use these guys now in the evening when I'm going to bed, when I feel those thoughts coming in I visualize these guys sitting outside my compound locked and loaded ready to guard me and it really really helps... Forgive me if this sounds trite or over-the-top I just really so profoundly relate to what you were saying. I am desperate to stop those thoughts as well.

Hope this helps. :l
                        Love you :h
                        I love your armed men!! Want some for myself!! Isn't it great, Kradle that our subconscious mind and inner spirit love us enough to create what we need to not only survive but recover? You survival instinct, your will to thrive devised a plan to protect you from your ego's nasty accusatory voice. That is awesome. All the inner work you have done and continue to do really is paying off.

I feel that the right tools seem to be falling into my lap just when I need them. Seems like it's the same for you Soul Sister. xoxo love ya back.
                        Lao-Tzu

Comment

Sober Soul-

WOW! What a healing post and not just for yourself but for us. It's reminding us that we are not alone in regret of our past... I know for myself... I have thoughts that bother me from when my kids were young. In fact I was just thinking about one today and how shameful I felt to have behaved toward my child as I did...
                          I put it into perspective and decided that my child is an angel who is teaching me compassion and kindness at his own sacrifice. I told my son one day that I was so sorry for treating him poorly in certain situations and he said to me... Mom if you didn't do those things then, I might not be who I am today.
                          He is an angel. A real one.

Maybe what your daughter went thru will help her be the mother she is meant to be.

Comment

bkyogagurl;1646672 wrote: Sober Soul-

WOW! What a healing post and not just for yourself but for us. It's reminding us that we are not alone in regret of our past... I know for myself... I have thoughts that bother me from when my kids were young. In fact I was just thinking about one today and how shameful I felt to have behaved toward my child as I did...
                            I put it into perspective and decided that my child is an angel who is teaching me compassion and kindness at his own sacrifice. I told my son one day that I was so sorry for treating him poorly in certain situations and he said to me... Mom if you didn't do those things then, I might not be who I am today.
                            He is an angel. A real one.

Maybe what your daughter went thru will help her be the mother she is meant to be.
                            Thanks, BKO Girl, you reminded me of something else I told myself; that all experiences are given to us for us to sometimes stumble, fail and learn and others to practice what we've learned.

It's funny but I've asked my kids about certain incidents that happened and I have rarely heard them say they even remember the incident let alone admit to being traumatized by it. We, as parents, are very hard on ourselves. We are only human beings.
                            Lao-Tzu

Comment

What a great reminder post. Wow!! How hard some of us can be on ourselves sometimes. Your post reminds me of all the times that I thought I could-have or should have been a better dad. Some of the negatives were really negatives. But, as of today, I have three grown happy adult sons -so I should be happy -right?

The only way that I have found for me to move past my deepest feelings of guilt is to remember what I believe to be truth and that is:

Every human being is doing the best that they can with what they have at any given point in time. If this is true, then who can be wrong?

Thanks for your post.

Comment

Working...
                              X