Daevid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daevid

I'm at my wit's end. Have tapered off alcohol too quickly and have had anxiety attacks at work. My hands tremble and my manager has noticed. She's been on my case since she started working here. She shouts and rants at people. Have taken too many sick days already but feel I can't function well at work. It only really affects me when the boss is there. I'm feeling on the scrap heap. Dreading work in the morning. I can't really have benzodiazepines because they mess up my memory.
    ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Daevid

Hi Daevid,
    Welcome to MWO. You've found a life-saving webite! I know exactly how you feel, and everyone here will also understand. Even though the severity of our disease is different, using similar tools that are in the toolbox in Monthly Abs below will give you lots of information on how to tackle this problem. The best thing, though, is the great encouragement you'll find among the threads here, and so I'm going to direct you to the Newbie's Nest in "Just Starting Out." Good luck to you!
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Daevid

Daevid, I've done the same thing. I am a professional orchestral/opera musician. One day before a concert I consumed 750 ml of vodka over the course of the day and the next night I was shaking so bad I could barely hold my instrument.

Not all benzos are not created equal - there are others that are much milder than diazepam. Many of us here also use baclofen to fight craving, but finding a physician that will prescribe it is a challenge and it sounds like you don't have the time to wait for an overseas shipment. Also, I hate to sound like I'm encouraging you to drink, but if you can continue a disciplined taper on low-alcohol beer, that might be a viable short-term solution.
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Daevid

Hi Alky. Good god, I had forgotten I have Baclofen in the cupboard. Should I take some?
        ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Comment

Daevid

Daevid,

Yes, take 10 mgs. I'm also taking baclofen for over a year. I started at 30 mgs/day taken in 3 doses. In 4 days I went up to 40 mgs etc etc. good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Comment

Daevid

Daevid, if you haven't been on bac, I'd take 10mg at a time, waiting 30-60 minutes in between doses until you feel better. That was Dr. A's approach.
            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Daevid

Hello Daevid,
              Sounds like it could be more a problem with your boss than with alcohol.
              Do you have any recourse to a higher supervisor to complain about her general behaviour not just to you, but to other employees?

Comment

Daevid

Yes, thanks Rags, you're right. Thank you kronkar and alky. I did use the bac and it has been majorly good. Thank you jo-vo too. :thanks:

I think a lot of it is my boss. Every day I go in, I get called into the office and major issues are made from virtually insignificant things. Today took the biscuit, she's piled up a lot of minor allegations going back and back, very few of which have any substance in realty, are her opinions, none of which are anywhere near misconduct issues. I've had a letter saying there will be a disciplinary meeting Tuesday and prepare to be sacked. I am in touch with my union rep. I am getting a load of feedback from other employees saying she's a bully and more unprofessional than anyone they've ever met. However surprise, surprise, no one wants to put it in writing. Many of them threatened with their job on a daily basis. I'm talking with my union rep right now.

― George Carlin

Comment

Daevid

Daevid your situation sounds so much like mine last year...she was a bully but no one would help me prove it....I finally retired to get away from her....I can not tell u how many times I drank at her and it didnt do anything but make me feel like crap...she was evil and I only hope she will get hers someday but is seems like those kinds never do....I am glad do be away from it all...so much happier..
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Daevid

Dottie Belle;1647009 wrote: Daevid your situation sounds so much like mine last year...she was a bully but no one would help me prove it....I finally retired to get away from her....I can not tell u how many times I drank at her and it didnt do anything but make me feel like crap...she was evil and I only hope she will get hers someday but is seems like those kinds never do....I am glad do be away from it all...so much happier..
                    I am close to 63 so over 2 years away from retirement pension. I have worked for some darlings and I have worked for some assholes. I semi-retired some years ago and could not believe how liberating it can be not to rid myself of them. This one is a 22 carat, grad A, career asshole. She will bring the company down with her egoism. I am not going quietly. I will lodge a grievance against this unpleasant Troll. Thanks for your support Dottie. :thanks:

― George Carlin

Comment

Daevid

I went to HR and then I was the bad person...no win at all..I was lucky that I had enough time and was over 55 so I could retire with a teeny tiny pension...
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Daevid

I have a tiny retirement pension coming in of ?400 per month so although I can't afford rent or bills, I will be the richest street person on or outside the druggie flats I may be consigned to.

― George Carlin

Comment

Daevid

I am lucky to have a husband who has a larger pension so we live modestly but just fine...
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Daevid

Hope everything works out for you Daevid!!!
                            I will keep you in my prayers!!!

Comment

Daevid

Daevid;1646684 wrote: I'm at my wit's end. Have tapered off alcohol too quickly and have had anxiety attacks at work. My hands tremble and my manager has noticed. I can't really have benzodiazepines because they mess up my memory.
                              Hi Daevid -glad to read your thread. I hope things are working better for you now. My first thought when I read the trembling hands was this is a typical alcohol withdrawal reaction. Certainly other people and situations can make it worse, but as I think you may know, the trembling hands are normal symptom in the drying out process.

Are you working with a doctor who could help oversee your withdrawal? Alcohol withdrawal can be very-very dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                              X