Experiences with Melatonin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been having trouble sleeping and melatonin was suggested by some on this site. I looked it up and it sounded safe and a possible solution. I started it 2 days ago and find that I wake up at 3:30, very groggy and have trouble getting back to sleep. Then I find it hard to get up in the morning. It has only been 2 days, so I will give it at least a week.

Has anyone else taken it? What was your experience?

Hey, don't know how anyone else feels about this amount, but was told by a holistic practicioner here that I could take up to 10 mg, but NOT w/ alcohol.........it helps me sleep, and sometimes I do wake up very early, but go right back to sleep. If I can't I usually feel ok, so go to the gym or something....

don't know if that helps, but that is my experience.....

Mary Anne :h

Comment

Kris,

I was told to take the lowest possible dose of melatonin because it is a hormone. I take it sometimes because I have horrible insomnia, but some doctors say don't take it because they have seen cancer in pineal gland. Yet others say protective link between melatonin and some types of cancers (hence shift workers getting more breast cancer). I have read that sex raises melatonin levels before bed:lol Very confusing. Maybe wait till Dr. Garcia is open again and ask her?

Pansygirl

Comment

Melatonin helps you fall asleep, not stay asleep. You should start out with 3 mgs doses, and take it 45 mi before bedtime. Alcohol actually disturbs our sleep greatly. In the middle of the night, when the body is going thru withdrawal of alcohol, that's what wakes us up.
        There is a very good prescription drug on the market called Sonita. You take it when you wake up in the middle of the night, and it puts you back to sleep again.

Comment

All very confusing. I was taking 1 mg dose and don't want to increase it if I am already not sure. I will do a little more research I guess and perhaps not use it until I know a little more. Asking Dr Garcia sounds like a good idea, if she will be taking questions.

Thanks for your info.

Comment

Working...
          X