Simeybear went to the vet. today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, today took Simon (my baby) to the vet for his annual blood work. It came back that he has been exposed to lyme disease. I was shocked to say the least. I use frontline flea and tick control on him and he goes to the groomer on a regular basis.The vet. said for him to be retested in 4 months. Does anyone have a dog that has lyme disease? He is on an antibiotic. As am I from my deer tick bite. Perhaps he and I are to go together. I always said this dog and I must have been married in a previous life. I love him so much, slightly worried, he is 10 years old. I know to some it sounds silly but this dog is so important to me. Greg, is away so I don't really have anyone to talk to about this. The vet. always tries to counsel me when I am in his office about Simon getting older and being a big dog his life expectancy isn't that long after 10. That so ticks me off! I just needed to tell someone this until I can talk with Greg. Please tell me it's nothing at all!
    Thanks
    Mar

Simeybear,

I wish I could tell you it is nothing at all but I don't really know anyting about ticks etc. I do feel for you. The animals in my life have always been very important to me and I have found terriffic comfort in them. Don't worry too much about your pup... only God knows when someone is going to die... let the Vet know that the next time you see him I had a cat that was brought into the family on my 1st birthday and died when I was 24. That was incredably tough. Just goes to show you that you cant really say how long something or someone will be around.

Chin up hun. It will be ok.
    Hablur

Comment

Oh Mar...I am so sorry...I hope Simon will be fine. Sending you a big hug honey!

Comment

Yeaa..it's silly...lyme disease in dogs on the East Coast is very common & very treatable...and there are a lot worse problems to solve & fret about in this world..

Comment

Simey,
          I wish I had words of wisdom, but my 10 year old rottie, Anna Rose had cancer in her mouth last year and had to have half of her lower jaw removed. They got it all and she is cancer free and fine a year later. Another female rottie of mine lived to be 12. These dogs are our babies and we love them like our children. I don't have my own,children, only step children, but I'm here for you and thinking about you and your baby.

Melissa
          If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

I can only say that I wish your dear 4-legged friend the very best cause I really know nothing atall about that... Please keep us posted... I'm sure that you are researching this on the internet? Take Care Hon, ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Don't worry too much until you have more information. My sister's 13 y/o dog was diagnosed with lyme's 2 years ago. Apparently, it doesn't effect them as harshly as it does people. Her dog is still doing great today.

Comment

Thanks guys, I keep reading all these things, I don't think I would be so worried if Dr. Davis (the vet) wasn't always pereparing me for Simon's demise. He does this everytime I see him, even if I have another dog and not Simon with me. I think he thinks I am overly attached to him. I said to him once when it was Simon's time to go that I would not have him put asleep in a cold clinical enviroment, and that he would go at home where he is comfortable with me with him. He look at oddly like no way, I don't do house calls; and then I said: you will everyone has a price. ever since then it's about preparing me for Simons passing. Once again thanks, these guys are really man/womans best friends
                Smiles
                Mar

Comment

Wow, I would find another vet. Before we were married my husband's vet made a house call both times he had to put his cats down. It was a very peaceful experience. Imagine what your vet must be like to live with. Does he remind his wife every day that she is one day closer to dying? Cheesh.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

It is sad. Some people do what they do simply for the money. Good 'customer service' is hard to find nowadays. I would find a new vet too if it is possible. Your pup will be fine - keep the faith.

I was looking up Lyme Disease last night and it seems if it is caught early enough it is treatable. I didn't see anything about age-specific outcomes, so I think he will be A-OK! That is my guess.

Comment

My x-wife was a Tick...nearly killed me....
                      Control the Mind

Comment

Mar-

I don't know anything about ticks, but I am sorry all the same! Here is a big hug from me!

E

Comment

You guys are right lushy and accountable I probably should start looking for a new vet. some that specializes in large older dogs. My friend who lives in Middleburg VA. actually has a vet to come to her to home and while he is taking care of her horses he also takes care of her dog. I love the staff at Dr. Davis office, but I love Simon sooo much more!
                          Thanks
                          Mar

Comment

Mar I am so sorry! I know you love Simon!!!! I am sure he will be fine, but I know you are sad.

Comment

Rocky, some ticks you just can't pick off and flush, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X