Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavati;1665419 wrote: Hi, Everyone --

I thought I'd stop by and say hi, and found so many familiar faces! R4L - I feel your frustration. Don't beat yourself up - you can see in your words why this is so hard - it is an addiction. If quitting and addiction were as simple as will power, we would have a lot fewer addicts, that's for sure!

I recommend listening to The Bubble Hour episode called: Special Guest Dr. John Kelly: Changing the Stigma of Addiction through Science. There is a lot of information about why it is hard to quit, and why relapses often occur (there is another great episode on avoiding relapses, too).

Hi to everyone here!

Pav
    What is the bubble hour?

Comment

Hey all,gonna be another hot day here in Vegas,but i don't complain,it's the desert what do you expect?hi. Running4life,we can all do this,i'm analyzing my triggers closely,p.m.s is a huge one for me,i almost feel out of body during that time,however i've made it through before and i can make it through again,i've realized it's not the drink i want,it's the feeling of needing to escape for a bit,how to remedy that?it's those days you cry over dumb things like commercials,how to remedy that?days your in pain and nothings working,what pisses me off is before i started drinking at 32, i was able to cope with this junk normally,now at 40, everytime i feel uncomfortable,i want to drink,another weird thing i've noticed is if i read too much about addiction stories,or whatch addiction stories,it plants a seed,totally weird,but i can't keep making myself sick over and over,and right now the thought of a drink makes me gag! i hope that feeling stays forever
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

paulywogg;1665534 wrote: Hey all,gonna be another hot day here in Vegas,but i don't complain,it's the desert what do you expect?hi. Running4life,we can all do this,i'm analyzing my triggers closely,p.m.s is a huge one for me,i almost feel out of body during that time,however i've made it through before and i can make it through again,i've realized it's not the drink i want,it's the feeling of needing to escape for a bit,how to remedy that?it's those days you cry over dumb things like commercials,how to remedy that?days your in pain and nothings working,what pisses me off is before i started drinking at 32, i was able to cope with this junk normally,now at 40, everytime i feel uncomfortable,i want to drink,another weird thing i've noticed is if i read too much about addiction stories,or whatch addiction stories,it plants a seed,totally weird,but i can't keep making myself sick over and over,and right now the thought of a drink makes me gag! i hope that feeling stays forever
        Reading about addiction plants a seed to drink? I too used to be able to cope when I was younger. I enjoy the escape from anxiety and depression when I drink. I have no particular triggers other than that. Ugh am I ever going to overcome?

Comment

Hey Liz,only for me it plants a seed to drink,instead of seeing the horror of addiction,when i'm watching or reading,for some reason i think the partying looks kinda fun,i guess it's just that euphoric recall they talk about ya know?i know reading or watching helps alot of people,we just have to find the ways that work for us personally,and shit-can what hasn't worked

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, everyone, I am so glad everyone is still here and carrying on. I sincerely apologize for not posting. I have been reading all the posts on my android phone but don't have the patience to do a two finger post. Without this thread and the other wonderful MWO threads, I would definitely be drinking. Please keep it up and always come back, ok?

Here's what I posted on my blog a few minutes ago:

We Got Our Building Permit!!

We Got Our Building Permit!! ... finally. We have been between homes for a few months now and currently are either sleeping at the office or camping on the building site. Imagine, it's the end of May and it's too cold to sit outside some nights. Love my Country but the weather is not the reason why.

Around these parts (Ottawa, the Capital of Canada) obtaining a building permit is, both expensive and time consuming. We started the process a few months ago and today we finally got word that we can begin construction. My husband is a contractor and has built many houses so it's a three month seamless procedure from here on in.

My whole world is changing and my new life will be different for the following reasons:

Old Life - living in a French speaking community
            New Life - living in an English speaking community

Old Life - no friends besides kind people who tried to communicate with me out of pity (or so it seemed)
            New Life - already made tons of acquaintances in my new neighborhood including my neighbor across the street who runs a B & B with an indoor pool and has invited me to do water aerobics once or twice a week with her

Old Life - 45 minute drive from my family including my three kids and four grandchildren
            New Life - everyone living in my neighborhood or a short jaunt away

Old Life - resided in a cottage by the river and thought I would be sacrificing this to be closer to family
            New Life - by coincidence the lot we purchased is across the street from a meandering river and we have access to miles of trails that begin a ONE minute walk from home (surprise!!)

Old Life - spent my evenings at home with glass after glass of red wine lulling me to ambivalence
            New Life - I DON'T DRINK but have lots to do in the evenings including visiting family, yoga, keyboarding, reading, meditating, taking courses, going to the library, socializing with neighbors and friends, walking on trails, etc.

Old Life - feeling hollow, empty and lethargic
            New Life - being present, alive, interested and interesting, active, sociable and happy

I even found a little spot at the back of the property where I am hacking my way through vines and overgrowth to create a little secret garden in which to meditate and commune with nature.

Feeling a lot of GRATITUDE right now.
            "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

SS, Awesome post!! I'm going to be away from WIFI for a few days but will check in as soon as I'm home. Send me AF energy....I'm going to need it.

Comment

Sobersoul, no more than you deserve - sounds perfect - so happy for you!
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Sounds great SS

Comment

Well, day 10 is done and I'm into it. I went to Applebys to eat tonight and as soon as I walked in I saw the bar with people sitting and drinking like normal and it was a trigger for me. They were just drinking and talking like it was normal and no big deal....and I told myself it was no big deal.....for them. For me though, it is a big deal. There is no such thing as normal drinking for me. It's all or nothing. I ordered rasberry iced tea with my meal and it tasted great. Had a good steak, salad and red skin garlic potatos....very enjoyable and I felt great when I left knowing I was in charge of what i did.....even though The Beast reared it's ugly head as soon as I walked into the place.

Sorry about your luck Beast....you lose, I win....:H

Drinking 0 or 12 is easy....drinking 1 or 2 is impossible.....that's just the way it is.

Night all....hope everyone has a great AF day tomorrow.

Oh yea...I find using the Drinktracker on this site every night before I go to bed really helps me. Maybe it would help some of you too...

See you tomorrow...

Don

Comment

Chief doesn't food really help? And when you think about it, you were the one being 'normal', your senses intact, with the clarity to know where one drink would take you.....I wonder did each person sitting at that bar go home after a couple of drinks?
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Hi all,Don,i used to insist we go to Applebee's for all birthday and other dinners out just so i could get that realy big beer they have,i'm sure most of those bar drinkers can do just that,have 1 or 2 then go about their buisiness,creeps! i certainly can not,1 or 2 for me just pisses me off and i'm searching for more,food really does help though,however i'm gaining weight,but i've been through this sooo many times i know the eating and weight will level out in a few weeks,sounds like everyone is truckin along great,let's keep jt up

Comment

Hey all,
                          Just finished Day 1for the millionth time...
                          Sticking with it for a while this time
                          X
                          Pat

Comment

Sober soul great post! Sounds like you're in a great place. You give me hope.
                            Chief, I think about the people at the bar too. One maybe two, I wish I could but sadly I cannot.
                            Food does help. My motto when I was younger was I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, not sure where I went awry. Need to go back to the old motto. I just know for right now this is where I need to be. Thanks for being here, we can do this!

Comment

Hi Patrice,hope your day 1 went o.k,sometimes they're brutal! o.k this is THE last day one for us all,deal?

Comment

Hi guys and gals, minding my grandkids today. I ran around the park with the three year old up and down the slide and had a blast. We are digging the hole for the foundation this Monday or Tuesday. In The perfect world I will be totally zen, in perfect shape and well into lots of healthy habits by the time the house is built but I will settle for sober.

Sending positive energy to all who are struggling. Thinking of how brave you are to keep coming back. Xxx
                                "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                                Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X